"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Cook

Mashed Potato Life Span

In a few weeks, my son's pediatrition wants me to start making him mashed potatoes daily. He will be 3 1/2 months old by that time. Since my husband had to translate the doc's orders from Bulgarian to English and he doesn't usually ask the right questions, I'm a bit skeptical about what the daily amount I'm supposed to give my son. He says one potato a day...a small one. I doubt seriously that my son will eat a whole potato even though he is a good milk drinker lol. If he doesn't eat the whole potato, it will be a big waste so my question is, if I mash several potatoes, how many days will they keep in the fridge? I figure whatever days they will last, that's how much I will make at a time. Thanks in advance for the advice:)

Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Not Really Sure

But I Think It Depends On What You Put With The Potatoes

Since Your Baby Is So Young Probably Won't Be Much Of Anything
But Milk.

I Have Kept Mashed Potatoes In The Fridge For Several Days And They Were Just Fine. I Would Think 5-7 Days But Not Sure.

Good Luck With The Young One, Babies Are Wonderful

Old 06-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Since your baby is so young, I would not take any chances on having the potatoes spoil, so I would suggest no more than three days in the refrigerator. What is the reason for feeding him mashed potatoes everyday? When we introduced food to our baby it was with baby cereal in her bottle and then eventually baby food (vegetables and fruits at first).
Old 06-27-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
Head Chef

Being the two of us, and we like to cook, and it is tough to make a small potato mash, we usually have the stuff left over for several days, at least a week.

But I agree our guts are not those of an infant. And would probably go with amber on this.

But if you have any doubt about what the pediatrician said, can you have your husband ask again?

Good luck, wish I could be more help.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks everyone:) I think I'll play it safe with 3 days.

When I asked my hubby how much, he said one potato and I did think that would be hard to mash unless I just do it with a spoon I suppose lol.

Rickell, Yes, the doc wants me to add milk.

Amber, I live in Bulgaria and I have no clue why it's potatoes lol. My husband and I often fight about the differences between American and Bulgarian culture which is why I come online for info so often lol. You wouldn't believe the arguments we have about food handling and how they "handle" it here. Not only was I taught pretty good food handling tactics from my family but I had to take 4 hour courses in Vegas in order to get a health card the few times I worked with food and my hubby STILL doesn't believe me about how to handle and store food.

AuntDot, you were still a help, thanks:)
Old 06-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Why does this post, and the lumpy soup post, have commecials in them?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:08 AM   #7
Master Chef

A 3.5 month old baby will generally not eat that much - about 1-2 Tablespoons twice a day as a supplement to milk. And, it will be thinned down to the consistency of a cream soup/cereal - if it is too thick the baby will have a problem swallowing it. Just boil the potatoes until soft and press through a seive - then add the milk. You're really looking for more of a puree than a mash - you want to avoid any chance of lumps.

This is "Stage 1" of weaning - or introducing the infant to something other than just milk/formula. Back here in the states, the course of action would probably be pablum or rice cerial. Of course, over the next couple of months - he will probably double the amount of "solid" food he consumes.

1 small 4-6 oz potato (boiled, mashed and thinned with milk) should last for 2-3 days in the beginning! As his appetite grows, cook more.

One thing to consider - only heat up a small portion of the potatoes at a time and discard the leftovers when you are done feeding him. Babies have very active digestive enzymes in their saliva ... as you feed him you will introduce some saliva back into the bowl.

My children were about 12-months before we introduced "white" potatoes into their diet. We started them off on sweet potatoes and they all love them. That may not be an option for you in Bulgaria.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 AM   #8
Everymom

I'm no help on the potato front, but another thought for starting babies on semi solids is yogurt. Generally digests well as it is still dairy and you can mix in lots of other things as they get used to it.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:38 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Hi Arcana --

I'm also American living abroad, so I have to smile at your report of you and your hubby having endless arguments about your beliefs about food handling. Mine have changed since I came here, mind you, and I have yet to die or get sick, so stay open to new ideas: elsewhere it may be less regimented than you learned in the States, but that doesn't really mean we're "right" and they're "wrong"!

As for the baby and the mashed potato, may I make a somewhat different suggestion? When my son was little and just moving away from milk, I returned to work and my mother-in-law had him every day. Since I still wanted to handle his food and help my mother-in-law out as well, every weekend I'd make a variety of "mushes" and freeze them in ice cube trays. Then every morning I'd pack up a container with my cubes-of-choice for the day. One day pureed chickens, a potato, and some carrots; another some beef, potato again, and some beets. Worked a treat and he was a very, very healthy little boy.

My point obviously is, how about freezing it? Thaws very quickly either in a saucepan or the microwave, and the quantities are small such that you shouldn't have much waste.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
Head Chef

Ayrton brings up a very good idea!! I did the same for both of my daughters even though I was a stay at home Mom. Sometimes it is easier to process enough for a couple of weeks than just a couple of servings this way and you will have it on hand in the freezer.