"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-08-2016, 06:41 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Forgetfulness? Set a timer. Used within 30 minutes? You would be refreezing them immediately after they thaw just enough to separate them. As long as you do that, there will be no issue with food safety.

With this much chicken frozen together in a single block, you will need to devote some time and attention to separating them. The only other way I see to do it is in the refrigerator, and that will take several days. Your choice
I have it in the garage fridge, sucking up the whole bottom deck. I've had to turn the fridge temp up so it gets a little warmer, I don't mind a week long thaw. Not a big worry when its in the spare fridge not absorbing important space. Big thing! I don't have coolers/etc big enough for it. The other problem I've had with water bathes is you need to shield the meat from direct contact with it as it'll trade good juices for water.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
This is what I'd do, just keep checking it and pry off the ones that you can as they loosen up, but before they are actually thawed. Then they can be refrozen in the 10 pound lots that you need. Sometimes there are awkward side effects to a good deal.
heh, got it from work. Can also get things like a case of bacon (12 1LBs retail packs) for 25 bucks.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
heh, got it from work. Can also get things like a case of bacon (12 1LBs retail packs) for 25 bucks.

Huh. Where can we all sign up?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
I have it in the garage fridge, sucking up the whole bottom deck. I've had to turn the fridge temp up so it gets a little warmer, I don't mind a week long thaw. Not a big worry when its in the spare fridge not absorbing important space. Big thing! I don't have coolers/etc big enough for it. The other problem I've had with water bathes is you need to shield the meat from direct contact with it as it'll trade good juices for water.
Did you miss or ignore the excellent idea from GG about using your bath tub?
The water bath won't hurt the frozen chicken but if you're worried about it, simply put the frozen block of chicken in a large plastic lawn bag.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Did you miss or ignore the excellent idea from GG about using your bath tub?
The water bath won't hurt the frozen chicken but if you're worried about it, simply put the frozen block of chicken in a large plastic lawn bag.
No way in hell would I do that, my butt hangs around in there.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

How endearing. You came here and asked for help, remember. You sure are going out of your way to make this a fun interaction.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
Head Chef

Sorry - guess I'm just repeating everything that has already been said...

You shouldn't thaw directly in water in the first place. They should be encased in a plastic bag.
You will have to set a timer. Then test and pull off - still inside the plastic bag - the breasts as they loosen. Remove those and rewrap. Wear plastic bags or gloves yourself so you don't contaminate.

LOL -Your butt must be pretty strong if it gets thru the plastic bag- or are you worried about you picking up a few feathers from the chicken?

60 lbs at 10 lb ea. - you have 5 others than can take a turn next time!

You get this from work? How do you defrost it at work?
Old 08-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
No way in hell would I do that, my butt hangs around in there.
You obviously really don't want any suggestions about the best way to defrost them. By the way, your porcelain bath tub can be disinfected with bleach just the same as your kitchen sink.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
How endearing. You came here and asked for help, remember. You sure are going out of your way to make this a fun interaction.
Sorry, on top of my question exists an nasty cough that has sapped me of energy and consideration.

Butt no, the tub idea is unappealing to me from the nature of it being used daily.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You obviously really don't want any suggestions about the best way to defrost them. By the way, your porcelain bath tub can be disinfected with bleach just the same as your kitchen sink.
Fiberglass tub, so it can take the bleaching fine, I just don't have the available time to do it like that. up at 3am to leave by 330am, home by 3pm, relax and start to figure out dinner and get it rolling by 5pm to have it ready at 6. then crash out 8-9pm to repeat the evil cycle. The block is big enough that it can't be submerged before water goes over the overflow drain. And you don't disinfect stainless steel with bleach, great way to ruin it.

Tags
chicken