"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We don't always have to make things complicated, some times simple is best.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgator View Post
Math problem: Recipe for cake calls for TWO 9" pans filled with batter. What size pan should I use if I just want one pan of cake?

Trying to keep the amount of ingredients intact. This recipe is from Babbo's Pan di Spagna web site.
Okay I'll assume this is a serious question, and that it's a math problem. I'll assume you want to keep the height the same too.

The area of a circle is pi times the radius squared = 3.14 * 4.5 * 4.5 = 63.6 square inches, or about 127 square inches to account for the two pans used.

You could use any rectangular pan where the length times the width equals about 127 square inches.

I like Charlie's suggestion of 9"x13" which works out to 117 square inches. It seems counter-intuitive that two 9" rounds would almost fit into a 9"x13" but the additional 4x9 inches plus the part you get squaring the circle is almost enough.

Your cake would be 127/117 taller than each 9" round cake portion, about 9 percent taller. You could make some cupcakes if you want exactly the same height.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I chose to not think of it as a math problem and just use what I have been taught to substitute in this situation. Since it was not clear if a round or rectangular pan, i chose the path of least resistance, most folks have a 9x13 pan, but not any round pans larger than 9 inches.

Besides, higher math means I have to take my shoes off...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:26 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Yes 9" round pan. How did you get 12"?
One 12" round pan roughly equals 2 9" round pans in area.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I chose to not think of it as a math problem and just use what I have been taught to substitute in this situation. Since it was not clear if a round or rectangular pan, i chose the path of least resistance, most folks have a 9x13 pan, but not any round pans larger than 9 inches.
Well it took me 10 minutes to math it out, and it took you probably 2-3 seconds to intuit it out, so that tells you which is better.

But what if you wanted a single layer round cake?

Actually I can intuit the answer to that one! You want one that's 1.42 times bigger, about 13 inches diameter. That number is the square root of 2.

ETA: I was writing my reply while Andy posted his (probably intuitive) reply. The exact answer is 12.78 inches. I gotta try that intuitive stuff. It definitely works faster than math.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Besides, higher math means I have to take my shoes off...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Yes 9" round pan. How did you get 12"?
One 12" round pan roughly equals 2x9" round pans in area.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Well it took me 10 minutes to math it out, and it took you probably 2-3 seconds to intuit it out, so that tells you which is better.

But what if you wanted a single layer round cake?

Actually I can intuit the answer to that one! You want one that's 1.42 times bigger, about 13 inches diameter. That number is the square root of 2.

ETA: I was writing my reply while Andy posted his (probably intuitive) reply. The exact answer is 12.78 inches. I gotta try that intuitive stuff. It definitely works faster than math.
I am a spatial and creative thinker. I can guesstimate volume, size, etc. Helps in making snap decisions about how much sterile bandaging I need when someone needs to be bandaged.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I've always heard it's better to be lucky than to be smart. Unfortunately I wasn't smart enough to have been born with good luck.

I'm usually pretty creative (which is one of the reasons I like cooking) but my creativeness has been on the blink lately. At least math always works.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #20
Cook

Thanks folks. Technically it should be about Square root of (2 x Height of new pan/Height of old pan). I don't think they sell 13" pans, so will try the 12" and report back!!!!