"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Question Matzah flour/balls?

a mate of mine just came back from Wolverhampton with some flour types, one is cosher matzah flour the other is a Wholegrain Rye (I know how to use that one).

I`ve heard of matzah balls on TV shows and such, and they seem to be like ordinary flour dumplings that would go in a stew or soup.

am I right?

I was thinking that since it`s going to get a little colder towards the end of the week, that a nice ham and leek soup with matzah balls would be nice

is this stuff treated any differently?

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 02:05 PM   #2
Master Chef

Matzo ball and ham soup is kind of sack religious

How much of it do you have? It goes a long way. I usually go by feel. But Say for a half a cup of the flour. Witch is really not a flour but rather ground matzo. So for a half a cup of ground matzo meal Id say about 2 eggs, 2 table spoons corn or vegetable oil, 2-3 spoons of chicken soup or mineral water. Maybe a pinch of salt. Mix wet ingredients together, do not whip, add flour mix well. Put in refrigerator for about 15 minutes.

In the mean time boil 2-3 quarts of water when water is boiling wet your hands in oil and roll the mixture into a golf size balls, cook for at least an hour or more. When done transfer into your soup. Now a disclaimer. I have been pretty lazy lately and have been using matzo ball mix. So I am not sure on the amounts. If you make it to dry they will be rock hard, if you making to soft they will fall apart.

Old 03-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Cheers! that`s a great help, and it sounds pretty simple

as for any religion aspects, I`m sure the soup won`t mind

Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Head Chef

YT, I think Charlie was taken aback a bit because matzoh balls are generally considered a Jewish dish, and there is certainly a Kosher prohibition against pork products.

But his tongue in cheek response was very funny. For him to eat such a thing would be downright sacreligious. But he understands that most of us here do not keep to Kosher laws. And his recipe is right on.

The most common vehicle for matzoh balls (and matzoh can be spelled many different ways - am just spelling it the way I am used to) is in chicken soup, at least in my experience. And a matzoh ball/chicken soup is fantastic. One of my true comfort foods.

See no reason it would not work in a ham soup.

But I think for reasons I cannot formulate it will work better with a less bland stock than a ham one, like chicken.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
Executive Chef

indeed, for me such things are trivial nonsense it`s just FOOD!, and has no Right/Wrong implications attached to it.
it would be different if I wanted to put Chocolate Brownies in it now THAT would be "Wrong"

I`v used motzah bread as quick and easy pizza base with ham/pineapple or pepperoni and chilis, it`s All Gooood!

the Ham stock I use is Quite powerful in flavor and aroma and with the Leeks it lends itself nicely towards that end, I used Smoked Ham in mine though, so maybe that`s Why???

anyway, it`s Supposed to Snow on Sunday here, so maybe on Sat night I shall get this Ball rolling (some pun intended).

Old 03-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I had the same reaction as Charlie when I read this thread. Bells and whistles started blaring in my head saying YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!. that is only because of the way I grew up. Tastewise, there is nothing wrong with putting mazoh balls in ham soup. Culturally, well that is a different story. it would kind of be like taking a cross and using it to prop up your Torah.

Mazoh balls are delicious, but if cooked on their own can be rather bland. They should be formed as Charlie said in his initial post, but then I disagree with boiling them in water. I feel they should be boiled in the soup itself. this will give them much more flavor. I have never had ham soup, but I would guess there is a decent amount of salt in it. That would play well with the Mazoh balls.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
a mate of mine just came back from Wolverhampton with some flour types, one is cosher matzah flour the other is a Wholegrain Rye (I know how to use that one).

I`ve heard of matzah balls on TV shows and such, and they seem to be like ordinary flour dumplings that would go in a stew or soup.

am I right?

I was thinking that since it`s going to get a little colder towards the end of the week, that a nice ham and leek soup with matzah balls would be nice

is this stuff treated any differently?
I've not used the flour you described, but use either matzah meal or the packaged mix. Yep, I'd call it a dumpling of sorts - I think would work in any soup of choice. Prepare your soup, plunk them in & let them simmer until they are fluffy - about 1/2 an hour or so. I leave the mixture/balls in the fridge a little longer, as I like them firm. You can add a little seltzer or club soda to the mix. Here's a sephardic recipe that includes parsley, nuts & nutmeg - to add a little something taste-wise to the mix.

Matzo Balls With - Sephardic Recipe

And, just a general idea about matzah balls.

Matzah balls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

One other thing to know is that they plump up a lot. Make the balls the size of a walnut. They will puff up to the size of a racket ball (maybe a little smaller).
Old 03-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Head Chef

Yep, what GeeBee said. They will plump up. Another thought is to add a bit of (Hungarian) Paprika to the mix. But, try them w/o first & see how you like. You can always tweak/fine tune a recipe to your taste. Enjoy.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

You guys read way too much into my post. i was just joking. Ham soup sounds pretty good to me and in my formet life I'd be asking to invite me over for a good bowl of it.

As far as cooking it in the soup i still disagree. if they are too soft and start falling apart soup is practicaly ruined. If you cook them separatly and transfer them into soup when they are done and cook for another 15-20 minutes they will have plenty of time to pull the flavor on them selves and taste great.