Matzah flour/balls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YT2095

Executive Chef
a mate of mine just came back from Wolverhampton with some flour types, one is cosher matzah flour the other is a Wholegrain Rye (I know how to use that one).

I`ve heard of matzah balls on TV shows and such, and they seem to be like ordinary flour dumplings that would go in a stew or soup.

am I right?

I was thinking that since it`s going to get a little colder towards the end of the week, that a nice ham and leek soup with matzah balls would be nice :cool:

is this stuff treated any differently?

Matzo ball and ham soup is kind of sack religious

How much of it do you have? It goes a long way. I usually go by feel. But Say for a half a cup of the flour. Witch is really not a flour but rather ground matzo. So for a half a cup of ground matzo meal I’d say about 2 eggs, 2 table spoons corn or vegetable oil, 2-3 spoons of chicken soup or mineral water. Maybe a pinch of salt. Mix wet ingredients together, do not whip, add flour mix well. Put in refrigerator for about 15 minutes.

In the mean time boil 2-3 quarts of water when water is boiling wet your hands in oil and roll the mixture into a golf size balls, cook for at least an hour or more. When done transfer into your soup. Now a disclaimer. I have been pretty lazy lately and have been using matzo ball mix. So I am not sure on the amounts. If you make it to dry they will be rock hard, if you making to soft they will fall apart.

Cheers! that`s a great help, and it sounds pretty simple ;)

as for any religion aspects, I`m sure the soup won`t mind :cool:

YT, I think Charlie was taken aback a bit because matzoh balls are generally considered a Jewish dish, and there is certainly a Kosher prohibition against pork products.

But his tongue in cheek response was very funny. For him to eat such a thing would be downright sacreligious. But he understands that most of us here do not keep to Kosher laws. And his recipe is right on.

The most common vehicle for matzoh balls (and matzoh can be spelled many different ways - am just spelling it the way I am used to) is in chicken soup, at least in my experience. And a matzoh ball/chicken soup is fantastic. One of my true comfort foods.

See no reason it would not work in a ham soup.

But I think for reasons I cannot formulate it will work better with a less bland stock than a ham one, like chicken.

Last edited:
indeed, for me such things are trivial nonsense it`s just FOOD!, and has no Right/Wrong implications attached to it.
it would be different if I wanted to put Chocolate Brownies in it:ermm: now THAT would be "Wrong" :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I`v used motzah bread as quick and easy pizza base with ham/pineapple or pepperoni and chilis, it`s All Gooood! ;)

the Ham stock I use is Quite powerful in flavor and aroma and with the Leeks it lends itself nicely towards that end, I used Smoked Ham in mine though, so maybe that`s Why???

anyway, it`s Supposed to Snow on Sunday here, so maybe on Sat night I shall get this Ball rolling (some pun intended).

I had the same reaction as Charlie when I read this thread. Bells and whistles started blaring in my head saying YOU CAN"T DO THAT!!!. that is only because of the way I grew up. Tastewise, there is nothing wrong with putting mazoh balls in ham soup. Culturally, well that is a different story. it would kind of be like taking a cross and using it to prop up your Torah.

Mazoh balls are delicious, but if cooked on their own can be rather bland. They should be formed as Charlie said in his initial post, but then I disagree with boiling them in water. I feel they should be boiled in the soup itself. this will give them much more flavor. I have never had ham soup, but I would guess there is a decent amount of salt in it. That would play well with the Mazoh balls.

a mate of mine just came back from Wolverhampton with some flour types, one is cosher matzah flour the other is a Wholegrain Rye (I know how to use that one).

I`ve heard of matzah balls on TV shows and such, and they seem to be like ordinary flour dumplings that would go in a stew or soup.

am I right?

I was thinking that since it`s going to get a little colder towards the end of the week, that a nice ham and leek soup with matzah balls would be nice :cool:

is this stuff treated any differently?

I've not used the flour you described, but use either matzah meal or the packaged mix. Yep, I'd call it a dumpling of sorts - I think would work in any soup of choice. Prepare your soup, plunk them in & let them simmer until they are fluffy - about 1/2 an hour or so. I leave the mixture/balls in the fridge a little longer, as I like them firm. You can add a little seltzer or club soda to the mix. Here's a sephardic recipe that includes parsley, nuts & nutmeg - to add a little something taste-wise to the mix.

Matzo Balls With - Sephardic Recipe

And, just a general idea about matzah balls.

Matzah balls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One other thing to know is that they plump up a lot. Make the balls the size of a walnut. They will puff up to the size of a racket ball (maybe a little smaller).

Yep, what GeeBee said. They will plump up. Another thought is to add a bit of (Hungarian) Paprika to the mix. But, try them w/o first & see how you like. You can always tweak/fine tune a recipe to your taste. Enjoy.:)

You guys read way too much into my post. i was just joking. Ham soup sounds pretty good to me and in my formet life I'd be asking to invite me over for a good bowl of it. ;)

As far as cooking it in the soup i still disagree. if they are too soft and start falling apart soup is practicaly ruined. If you cook them separatly and transfer them into soup when they are done and cook for another 15-20 minutes they will have plenty of time to pull the flavor on them selves and taste great.

Last edited:
My recipe for Matzo balls is a bit different from Charlies. I have to say that these always turn out light as a feather. The big secret is keeping the lid on the pot.

These are my Grandma's recipe. She really could make some Matzo Balls!

Grandma Jacobs Matzo Balls

Makes about 30

3 large eggs, well beaten
1 cup matzo meal
½ cup warm water
¼ cup chicken fat) vegetable oil doesn’t give the right flavor
1 teaspoon sea salt

Stir up the mixture and chill well (overnight or 3 or 4 hours, minimum).

Fill a large stockpot ¾ full of water and put in a whole onion which has been poked through with a knife. Add 1 ½ tablespoons salt. COVER THE POT and bring it to a rolling boil.

Form the matzo balls a little larger than golf balls (they will puff up) and slide them into the covered pot of boiling water, one at a time. VERY IMPORTANT TO KEEP THE LID ON THE POT AT ALL TIMES, even between additions of dumplings. When all the matzo balls have been added to the pot, set the timer for 40 minutes. DO NOT OPEN THE POT DURING THE COOKING PROCESS, OR THE KNAIDLACH WILL BE HARD!

At the end of 40 minutes, remove potf from heat and carefully lift the dumplings from the hot water one at a time (using a slotted spoon). Heat the m in the chicken soup, and serve.

Well Charlie, I agree that if they break apart then the soup will be ruined. I have never had them break apart on me though so I always opt for cooking in soup to get the most flavor possible into them.

I actually prefer the denser mazoh balls as opposed to the light airy ones. There is always a big disagreement at our Passover table. We are usually split 50/50 over who likes them dense and who does not. Either way, they are delicious.

Interesting to see different takes - but pretty similar in prep. Ideally, you should make a chicken first & use the chicken fat/schmaltz instead of oil. It really does make a difference in taste. My Hungarian grandma made everything from scratch, but in these days of hurry up hurry up - I use oil, but always cook em in the soup - not water.

Chef June, I haven't heard the word Knaidlach in years. Brings back warm memories. :chef:

Last edited:
Dumplings do the same for expanding too, so I`ll work on That principal and form them accordingly, Cheers.

Paprica is lovely but I think it`s best with Beef IMO, although the Smoked paprica is a pretty good all-rounder, I think the Parsley mentioned is good call, and perhaps Chives and Black pepper would go well with it?

I must say that adding Egg to "dumplings" is a bit strange to me, most of the ones I do are just salt, SRF, suet, herbs/spices and cold water.
so this should be very interesting! but Hey, I made Corn bread for the 1`st time a few months ago based entirely upon a description and it turned out perfectly ;)

as for Religious aspects, I can`t see it being any worse than using cosher salt on pork chops or something?
I`m a Christian and I don`t think I`m bound by such rules, am I?
I don`t pay much attention to things like this and really hope I didn`t offend any jews here?
to me it`s just Food, and a new sort of dumpling to try.

knowing my Luck, it`s probably anti-Christian to Eat cosher stuff?

it`s enough to give you a Headache isn`t it! *sigh*

Well Charlie, I agree that if they break apart then the soup will be ruined. I have never had them break apart on me though so I always opt for cooking in soup to get the most flavor possible into them.

I actually prefer the denser mazoh balls as opposed to the light airy ones. There is always a big disagreement at our Passover table. We are usually split 50/50 over who likes them dense and who does not. Either way, they are delicious.

GB, in our family, if the matzo balls are "sinkers," then the maker has failed. Grandma J set the standard. :ermm:

Yep, what GeeBee said. They will plump up. Another thought is to add a bit of (Hungarian) Paprika to the mix. But, try them w/o first & see how you like. You can always tweak/fine tune a recipe to your taste. Enjoy.:)
*amy,* a good friend of mine grates a little bit of ginger into hers. Interesting, but not enough to get me to make mine that way. ;)

I hear ya ChefJune. that seems to be the way most people feel too. I don't like them hard as a rock, but I like them with a bit of a bite to them.

LOL YT, there is a world of difference between kosher salt and mazoh balls. Kosher salt is just called that because it is used in the koshering process. It is not a food item that is part of the culture per say the way mazoh balls are. You are right though, it is just food and no one should be offended by you wanting to eat it the way you want. nothing wrong with that at all. I am guessing it will taste great with your soup.

Chive and black pepper would work very well. I love a little dill in my mazoh balls, but that is because it goes so well with the chicken soup. not sure how that would work with ham.

Back
Top Bottom