Mayonnaise FYI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I was shopping yesterday in the 99¢ Only store where I live, which is southern California. They sometimes have great deals in there and it's a hit or a miss type store, of course. They have in there right now, 32 ounce jars of Hellman's Mayonnaise for 99¢ each. I bought 4. They date isn't coming up soon and mayo stores well in the pantry as long as you use it up within a reasonable amount of time. Just wanted you all to know if you're into mayo. < We here in California get Best Foods since we're West of the Rockies. East of the Rockies gets Hellman's. That's correct, right?

That's the way I understand it ... but, I am also confused as to if they use the same recipe for both these days - or still use two different recipes. Their website : http://www.mayo.com/history.asp doesn't really make it clear. But, maybe I just have a thick head?

Only thing I could suggest would be to compare the flavor of Hellman's and Best-Foods (at the same temperature). Would be interested in the results. IMHO - Hellman's is why God created mayo.

I have always heard that Best Foods 'is' Hellman's, completely. But, having said that, there are people that I've spoken to that swear the recipe is different. I wouldn't know because my taste buds aren't that significant. To me, they are both wonderful, being a mayo lover. I am just happy for that good of a deal. I would wonder what the head corporate office would say about the debate.

Don't know LEFSElover - Best Foods bought out and now makes Hellman's - and I know they did use 2 seperate recipes. There was a thing on Hellamn's on "Unwrapped" a few weeks ago ... I "thought" they said they still use 2 different recipes - know they said the Hellman's recipe was still the original. I just honestly don't know!

Thumper .... Miracle Whip is not mayonaise, it's a "Salad Dressing" - look at the label. Regardless of brand, mayonaise is an emulsion of oil and eggs. If I remember right Miracle Whip does not contain eggs and is more of an emulsified "vinegarette".

all I know is, that years and years ago, I went to Hawaii. My friend and I couldn't afford to eat out much so in the market, we bought bread, miracle whip (on sale, for cheap) and bologna. That was all we ate for a week. I love Miracle Whip, regardless of what it is.

I'm with you LEFSElover, Miracle whip is what I use instead of all the mayos out there. I know it's a salad dressing and I have tried mayos and they just don't appeal to me and to me the mayos ruin a good sandwich and salad.

Yikes! :shock: Miracle Whip instead of mayo? Sacriledge! About the only time I don't mind Miracle Whip is if I'm making Devilled Eggs, and then I'd rather just add some Splenda to regular mayo.

I definately wouldn't want Miracle Whip on my french fries! :x That's what mayo is for! 8)

I keep both on hand. I use Hellman's or Kraft mayo in recipes which call for mayo, also for dips and tartar sauces and when using sour cream. I use Miracle whip in sandwich spreads and for cream style slaw. My DH prefers MW. I lean toward mayo. My grandmother always said that Hellman's was the best mayo and that goes back a lot of years.

I vote for both.
When I was a kid and nobody knew about dips, where I came from, I liked to dip my carrot strips in MW.

bege said:
I keep both on hand.....

Me too, Bege - different tastes and textures for different things. Although I generally reach for the Hellman's mayo - there are times when I want that special "zip" in Miracle Whip.

But, then, I usually keep 3-5 different kinds of mustards on hand ....

I cannot abide the taste of Miracle whip, but oh well. Nice special you got there, it was on sale here in Rockville MD too. $2.69 for a jar at Safeway. Big deal.

Back
Top Bottom