"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
No. I don't grind salt. As Jen said, I buy it the size I want. I've never used a peppermill to grind herbs, they're usually fresh. I have a coffee mill I use to grind spices.
I'm with Andy. I have a coffee grinder and a mortar and pestle for grinding herbs and spices.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Jennyemma,

Why would anyone buy a sea salt grinder? The same reason anyone would buy fine china......they want it. It’s not required, but you enjoy it. Why would anyone own a grill? It’s not required......but people like them. Why even cook? You can buy pre-made food the same as you can buy pre-ground salt.

If you buy a pepper blend that is already ground, aren’t you compromising that which you own a grinder for in the first place which is the superior flavor of freshly ground? Pre-ground spices aren’t nearly as aromatic and flavorful as freshly ground.

The point of recycling is to reclaim waste material for use in new (and different) products. Recycling is a good thing. But if you don’t like recycled items, that’s fine. We all have our different POVs. I don’t like wasting money on fancy grinding mills that may or may not work as well as I want them to work. I’ve had four different kinds in the past, all but one was over 20 dollars in price (but less than 30), and none of them really “floated my boat”. After using pre-ground spices for years, it is nice that McCormick came out with the grinders so that cooks everywhere can experiment with fresh ground spices without having to buy overpriced rigs that may or may not be to your liking.

I’m not sure what type of black peppercorn McCormick is using (the pinks are Brazilian peppercorns), but I’ve tried Tellicherry freshly ground and McCormick black peppercorns freshly ground on both grilled burgers and steaks on the same night. They tasted the same to me.

But speaking of disposable items, do you not use any? What about paper plates or paper cups for picnics and outdoor gatherings. Disposable razors for shaving? Disposable paper towels in the kitchen? Disposable Kleenex tissue? Do you avoid all disposable items?

Old 08-13-2007, 03:07 PM   #23
Cook

I use the McCormick sea salt grinder and I love it! Other people have suggested using salt in the size you want it. But I love that I get a nice corse grind or smaller out of one bottle.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichardson
I use the McCormick sea salt grinder and I love it! Other people have suggested using salt in the size you want it. But I love that I get a nice corse grind or smaller out of one bottle.
It is fun isnít it!

And thatís what cooking is supposed to be all about right....enjoy yourself while also making delicious meals. At least, that was my take on it.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:24 PM   #25
Master Chef

I think you are going sort of overboard here, unfortunately.

I think Penzey's is a far better quality product. I wouldn't buy McCormack peppercorns. I don't like using disposable products when I consider them entirely unnecessary. I'd take one of the McCormack's camping or to a rental house or something but they serve no purpose in my own home.

It's my opinion that a salt grinder is useless. Pepper grinders release the taste of peppercorns. Salt grinders do not.

Obviously you disagree. That's your right.

But this is nothing to get worked up over
Old 08-13-2007, 03:32 PM   #26
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
I buy them once a year to take on vacation.

Great idea!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:50 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

I have used them and think they are fine for what they are. I find a huge difference between Penzyz peppercorns and McCormack peppercorns though. I would happily pay much more for a better product, especially one as important as pepper.

A lot of restaurants have the McCormack peppercorn grinders on the table now and I think that is great. It is 1000x better than the pre-ground grey pepper dust that places used to have.

As for salt grinders, the majority of the people who get them do so because they think they are getting a better salt taste from grinding their own. This is simply not true.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #28
Head Chef

I like the salt grinder because it is fun. But there are far more “legitimate” reasons for it. For instance, you can buy coarse salt such as Pure Ocean, New Zealand Natural, or even coarse organic salt such as Le Tresor. Its large crystals and low moisture content keep it from caking and thus no additives are needed. The coarse crystals can be used in both a grinder and for salt crusts (no need for two salt products). Then again, you can just buy two boxes of salt, one coarse and one fine......just depends on what you want.

It’s odd what people decide to spend their money on. I’m not quite so picky (and am rather frugal) with a lot of kitchen toys. Computers (and electronics in general) on the other hand are a different story. I’d never buy an Intel Celeron, or even a CPU that had less than 1MB L2 cache and was hyperthreading enabled. Naturally, this excludes most mass produced PCs like a prefab Dell desktop (and what a ghastly way to buy a PC) or Gateway’s horrible e-Machines. And never even consider integrated graphics! Why they came up with that atrocious idea is beyond me. And dial-up for the internet, I can’t tolerate it. Cable Modem is the way to go......but I’ll take a McCormick’s grinder over a Williams Sonoma rig any day (if I’m doing the buying that is).
Old 08-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin
...The point of recycling is to reclaim waste material for use in new (and different) products. Recycling is a good thing. But if you donít like recycled items, thatís fine. We all have our different POVs...

Can we assume from this position that you eat off paper plates with plastic utensils? Do you use paper towels in place of bath towels?

Not having to recycle items because you repeatedly reuse them is the preferred and, ultimately less costly alternative. It costs money and energy to recycle.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:39 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Can we assume from this position that you eat off paper plates with plastic utensils? Do you use paper towels in place of bath towels?

Not having to recycle items because you repeatedly reuse them is the preferred and, ultimately less costly alternative. It costs money and energy to recycle.
But recycling is a very effective way of dealing with waste products, especially those that can not be avoided. The plastic clam shells that batteries come in, batteries themselves, cardboard boxes, plastic jugs for vinegar, milk, soda. Paper sacks for flour, corn meal, sugar. Newspapers, magazines, TV Guides, glass bottles from hot sauce or soy, etc. There is so much that can and should be recycled.

Then again, if everyone grew their own peppers and brewed their own vinegar, there would be no bottles from that. Use the internet for news and do away with paper waste from newspapers and magazines. Buy only produce from the Farmer’s Market and never purchase anything in a can. It would really be great to just get away from batteries all together. They are a huge problem due to lead contamination, and account for more than 80% of all lead in consumer electronics today. Everyone could cut down on battery use by not relying so heavily on the remote control, or laptops, iPods, or battery powered flashlights, cordless tools, etc.