McCormick Grinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I see no sense in arguing whether the pepper comes from the expensive mill or the grinder, it is a matter of choice. I use the grinders whenever we have cookouts, to take to the farm and even to go on the table for family dinners. The only problem I have is that my fingers aren't as agile as they used to be and it is hard for me to turn so, I will be getting a battery operated mill soon - it won't be a snobby one tho.

I still have absolutely no idea what your point is - except for perhaps trying to make other people feel badly or "out of the loop".

I do 90% of my shopping at Wal-Mart, & love both their prices & quality. Something I've stated constantly here.

At the same time my husband is a big-time audio/video-phile. Serious enough to the point that I'm sure he could run circles around you. Bose is small potatoes (even though he does have their headphones) compared to him & his equipment.

And this relates to the fact that I like my 30-year-old "Mr. Dudley" pepper grinders how?

Yesterday my grandkids were here and Olivia and Carson both decided they wanted a certain book..it started with a quiet mine from Carson, then Livi said a louder mine and within 3 minutes they were both yelling mine..Know what, neither got the book..I got it and it is now put up til next time. Why is it, that we need to be right all the time? Each has an opinion, who is right? As far as I'm concerned, you Breezy and you Keltin both are right. You each have ideas and opinions and are entitled to them. But, yelling back and forth MINE does nothing, it neither makes you right nor wrong. Respect for each others opinions and the fact you are adult human beings needs to be remembered here. This in itself makes you right.Remeber if you feel that strongly, the private message is less stressful to all involved.
kadesma

kadesma said:
Yesterday my grandkids were here and Olivia and Carson both decided they wanted a certain book..it started with a quiet mine from Carson, then Livi said a louder mine and within 3 minutes they were both yelling mine..Know what, neither got the book..I got it and it is now put up til next time. Why is it, that we need to be right all the time? Each has an opinion, who is right? As far as I'm concerned, you Breezy and you Keltin both are right. You each have ideas and opinions and are entitled to them. But, yelling back and forth MINE does nothing, it neither makes you right nor wrong. Respect for each others opinions and the fact you are adult human beings needs to be remembered here. This in itself makes you right.Remeber if you feel that strongly, the private message is less stressful to all involved.
kadesma

I’m all for respect for others choices and opinions. Sadly, I’m often confronted with those that are not. And I’m not the only one. Mention that you eat Hamburger Helper, canned soup, Mac-n-Cheese from the box, instant potatoes, use a cake mix, or eat Top Ramen Noodles and see what happens.

People make their choices for their own reasons, but those reasons, even if simple, are personal, and to have someone say you’re an "less than" for cooking hamburger helper or eating condensed soup or buying a cheap grinder is a blatant attack and it stings…..even if this is “the net”.

keltin said:
I’m all for respect for others choices and opinions. Sadly, I’m often confronted with those that are not. And I’m not the only one. Mention that you eat Hamburger Helper, canned soup, Mac-n-Cheese from the box, instant potatoes, use a cake mix, or eat Top Ramen Noodles and see what happens.

People make their choices for their own reasons, but those reasons, even if simple, are personal, and to have someone say you’re an "less than" for cooking hamburger helper or eating condensed soup or buying a cheap grinder is a blatant attack and it stings…..even if this is “the net”.
Keltin,
there will always be someone who feels, hamburger helper, mac and cheese from a box,canned soup is wrong and looks down there nose at you. Sure it stings, it hurts plenty. But remember this, when we cook those things most times it to feed our family, somethines we may drag ourselves out of a sick bed to do it, or we've been working two jobs or chasing 4 kids, but we do it. Why because we LOVE them..And to let ourselves be dragged into an argument about what and how we feed our faimly only makes us as the person who hurt out feelings. We are all entitled to our opinions, but how we react to others opinions is what mkes us a cut above or below..The next time you feel hurt, as hard as it is, turn your back and walk away, look in the mirror and smile, you did it..YOUR WAY!
Now, those who use prepared foods and those who do it all from scratch, your all the same, someone who loves their family and will do anything in the world for them..Don't spin your wheels worrying what and how your neighbor feeds her kids, just that she feeds them.
kadesma

keltin said:
Mention that you shop at Wal-Mart, and you get blasted with long diatribes about how no self-respecting cook would ever buy meat, produce etc. from a large ugly box like that.

Use the wrong ingredient or cooking term and you’re likely to be confronted with an onslaught of condescending remarks about how a parakeet could cook better.

Eat at McDonalds and you’ll face post after post of how only a fool would submit themselves to such torture.

By a cheap McCormick’s grinder, and you get told you’re fool that got parted from his money.

It’s pure snobbery where the dealers are “in the right” and own the expensive item or cook the proper way.
Wow are you way off track. You may want to go back and re-read those threads and maybe spend a little more time here getting to know folks before you accuse them of such things.

If you go back and read the Wallmart thread you will see that most people said the shop at Wallmart. The people who said they did not specifically said things along the lines of they saw nothing wrong with it, it just was not for them.

There have been MANY threads talking about how people enjoy a $100 steak one night and a Big Mac the next.

No one in this thread said you were a fool parted with your money if you bought a disposable grinder. They may have said they would not buy one and did not find it of value for them, but no one ever put that on you or anyone else who has purchased one.

This needs to get back on topic. Lets either continue to discuss the McCormick Grinders and only the McCormick Grinders or lets end this thread.

Even though we're 100% happy with our William Bounds pepper mill, my curiosity is piqued and I'm thinking about buying one of the McCormick ones. Not necessarily for the pepper, but to see if I can take it apart and refill it as GrillingFool mentioned a million posts ago.

If the mechanism works as well as others have said, it might be an inexpensive way for me to get a grinder for red, white or green peppercorns.

Our Bounds mill can be regulated to give fine, medium and coarse grind. I would imagine there is only one grind with the McCormick one, but I'm still thinking I might find another grinder useful in our kitchen...or picnic basket.

licia said:
I see no sense in arguing whether the pepper comes from the expensive mill or the grinder, it is a matter of choice. I use the grinders whenever we have cookouts, to take to the farm and even to go on the table for family dinners. The only problem I have is that my fingers aren't as agile as they used to be and it is hard for me to turn so, I will be getting a battery operated mill soon - it won't be a snobby one tho.

If you get a battery operated one, they have a cool “lighted” feature that might come in handy. I’ll admit, I’ve often wanted a feature like this. Neat stuff. :)

Click here.

I use the disposable grinders for salt and pepper for a few reasons. I always just used the regular ground pepper and table salt until a friend told me that sea salt and fresh ground pepper were decidedly tastier and she was right! I got the McCormick ones and it was awesome. What a difference - and the kids love to use them when they are helping in the kitchen. (My 5 yr. old seasoned the dog's food when I turned my back for a second! lol)

I decided to get a more permanent pepper mill but the one I got must not have been a good one because it didn't work well. In the mean time, I noticed that I was often getting blood and bits of raw stuff on the grinders because it's hard to season raw meat, rub it in, turn it over and season and rub the other side without getting gunk on the grinders. (Of course, I wash the grinders off every time.) It's probably just that I'm totally new at this but I think it's better for me (read safer) to use something that gets thrown away in a month or 2!
Terry

Fisher's Mom, you might want to do what I do a lot of the time. Grind the pepper into a cup or bowl and then sprinkle, by hand, over the food/meat you want to season.

You won't have to worry about how close you get the grinder to the food and there will be no danger of getting food/blood, etc. on it.

Katie E said:
Fisher's Mom, you might want to do what I do a lot of the time. Grind the pepper into a cup or bowl and then sprinkle, by hand, over the food/meat you want to season.

You won't have to worry about how close you get the grinder to the food and there will be no danger of getting food/blood, etc. on it.
You know, as I was writing this post, I remembered that you have talked a lot about mise en place (probably not spelled right) and I've been doing that, especially when making breads and other things that have a number of ingredients so I don't forget anything. Hadn't thought of doing it to keep from having to touch stuff with bloody hands - I'll be doing this from now on. Thanks, Katie.

Yes, Fisher's Mom, you spelled it correctly and it's the best way to ensure ingredients are in the exact quantities and in place as they are to be added. You are sharp to have picked up on my reference to this technique.

I have been in the habit of practicing mise en place so long, I don't think I could cook any other way.

I like the idea of the disposables. They would be convenient for traveling, camping, anytime you need to pack up and take these things with you. It cuts down on weight and size. But I still prefer these grinders that I got at Crate and Barrel... they are glass and stainless.... sea salt in one, peppercorns in the other with a cap on each. They work awesomely for me (unlike others I have bought in the past) and have been refilled and used a long time. $14.95 each.

I've put the all the expensive grinders in the not working maybe it will fix itself pile and now use the disposable ones. There are a huge variety of brands and flavours here.

Back
Top Bottom