McCormick Grinders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
Anybody else use these?

McCormick Grinders

I’ve got the black peppercorn, pepper medley, coarse sea salt, and garlic pepper.

I had a pepper grinder long ago, but didn’t like it. It didn’t work as well as I thought it should. But these things are prefilled, disposable, and work like a champ. Great grinding mechanism, and rather addictive to use. I’m loving these things.

I too have bought many pepper grinders that are expensive yet proved worthless. My DH and I have noticed that those McCormick grinders do the job better then any of the useless grinders I'm collecting on my counter.

We've had a William Bounds ceramic pepper grinder for many years and couldn't be happier. A year or so ago, we had a problem with the ball on the top of the handle. Called the company. They sent not one, but two, new pieces at no charge.

The grinder can be adjusted from very fine to quite coarse. It's the only grinder we use for pepper.

What an explosion of "grilling" and seasoning blends there
has been lately!

I like the idea of the grinders, but not the disposable aspect.
Knowing me, I will be trying to refill the darn things with my
own blends, LOL!

Katie, my last grinder was a Williams Bounds and it's been a bear! Dumb luck I guess!

My grinders work well. Have one for black and one for white. Get the peppercorns from Penzey's.

Use Penzey's pepper blends, too.

I just bought a new mccormick sea salt grinder last night. I love them! Mccormick is the best of the disposable grinders.

Once I was going to buy the peper Grinders from Mcormick, and they were expensive at my supermarket.

I am not sure if it was just that store or what. But it is easier for me to have some pepper in a Plastic Container, and pour it in my regular grinder when it runs low. ;)

I have 2 "Mr. Dudley" wooden pepper mills (one for black peppercorns; one for white) that have been going strong & working perfectly since about 1975. Go figure.

Disposable things are meant to be recycled!

One thing I don’t like to throw away is money. The McCormick grinders are $1.86 in my area, plus tax, they are $2.00 flat. Each grinder holds 0.85 oz. If I go through a grinder every 2 months, it costs me $12.00 a year for fresh ground pepper.

Looking at the Penzey site, they offer two different grinders, the 5.5 inches version being the cheaper of the two. It is $31.95. A 1 oz package of the peppercorn blend is $3.79 for 1oz. Shipping is $4.95.

So, to get started with a 2 month supply this way, it costs $40.69 which is 20 times more expensive than the McCormick grinder.

To stay stocked with the Penzey blend, you need to buy another oz (comparable to the McCormick grinder at 0.85 oz) every 2 months. The peppercorn blend is $3.79 plus $4.79 shipping. That’s $8.74 every 2 months.

During the first year, you spend $84.39 to have the Penzey grinder and 1 oz of spice every 2 months. With McCormick grinders, you get the same spice every two months, plus a brand new grinder, and all of that is for $12.00 flat which is 7 times less expensive.

Each subsequent year, 6 buys of spice cost $8.74 x 6 = $52.44 per year for spice, but McCormick gives you the same spice blend, and 6 new grinders for only $12.00.....which is 4 times less expensive.

For just Tellicherry peppercorns (not a blend) you could buy bulk and get 5 pounds (80 oz) for $24.83 + $4.95 shipping. That’s a total of $29.78 for 80 ozs which equates to $0.37 per ounce (outstanding!) and it is a 13 year supply of peppercorns if you use an ounce every 2 months (a McCormick sized grinder’s worth).

With the purchase of a Penzey grinder and 5 pounds of peppercorns (total of $70.47 up front), and at 1 oz every 2 months, you pay $0.88 every two months which is $1.12 less expensive than McCormick.....assuming your peppermill lasts for 13 years.

So, if you buy a decent pepper mill that will last, one that you enjoy using and works well, and you know that you will enjoy and use the same spice for the next thirteen years, and you have space to store it, then bulk buying can be cheaper.

However, if you want to experiment and you decide to get four new mills and four spices, let’s say sea salt, tellicherry peppercorns, a peppercorn blend, and a garlic herb blend, then you can go the McCormick route and pay $8.00 to try four new grinding spices.

Or you can buy four new mills, and four packs of spices for a grand total of $162.76. :shock:

Personally, I’m not going to throw money away on four premium grinders just to experiment. Plus, when kitchen space is at a premium, having four large bulky mills occupying space isn’t an option. The McCormick grinders are small, easy to use, have a great grinding mechanism (much better than the last four “real” mills that I bought), and can be replaced every 2 months giving you a fresh batch of spice AND a fresh grinding mechanism for only $2.00.

Not bad if you ask me, but I do tend to be frugal with some things.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, my Penzey's peppermill (the smaller one) is 13 years old and showing no signs of deterioriation. Of course, I paid less than $31.00 13 years ago.

In addition, It's attractive enough to put on the dinner table, has an adjustable grind so I can get large chunks of peppercorn or a super fine grind to suit my needs, and it's much easier to use that the McC jar grinder.

I buy Tellicherry peppercorns a pound at a time and have no clue how long they last. They are significantly more flavorful than the peppercorns from McC. Freshly ground Tellicherrys have an almost fruity bouquet and a fantastic flavor.

Just my preference.

Andy M. said:
Strangely enough, my Penzey's peppermill (the smaller one) is 13 years old and showing no signs of deterioriation. Of course, I paid less than $31.00 13 years ago.

In addition, It's attractive enough to put on the dinner table, has an adjustable grind so I can get large chunks of peppercorn or a super fine grind to suit my needs, and it's much easier to use that the McC jar grinder.

I buy Tellicherry peppercorns a pound at a time and have no clue how long they last. They are significantly more flavorful than the peppercorns from McC. Freshly ground Tellicherrys have an almost fruity bouquet and a fantastic flavor.

Just my preference.

Do you also have a Sea Salt Grinder, a grinder for a peppercorn blend, a grinder for white peppercorns, and a grinder for an herb blend?

Keltin

That was a long post, but much of it really wasn't relavant to my situation.

I have 2 pepper grinders that, like Andy, I have had for many years. Each cost much less than $30.

Penzey's pepper is, IMO, far superior to McCormick (we have one of those grinders here at work, so I have tasted it). There is a store nearby, so I buy it in relatively small quantities because buying any dry herb or spice in large bulk quantities compromises freshness and flavor. After all I buy from Penzey's for those reasons.

Personally, I think what I buy from Penzey's is cheaper than the offerings at the supermarket. But if there is any additional cost, it's more than worth it for the quality and freshness. They are seasonings after all, so that matters a lot to me.

2 grinders are more than enough for me.

I don't know why anyone would buy a sea salt grinder. Just buy finely ground salt.

If I want a pepper blend, I buy it already ground. From Penzeys :) or make it myself. Garlic doesn't belong in a pepper mill, IMO.

Disposable things end up as solid waste much of the time. I just don't like the idea of buying products, like this pepper mill, that you purposely throw away. We really don't need more recycled items.

Last edited:
keltin said:
Do you also have a Sea Salt Grinder, a grinder for a peppercorn blend, a grinder for white peppercorns, and a grinder for an herb blend?

No. I don't grind salt. As Jen said, I buy it the size I want. I've never used a peppermill to grind herbs, they're usually fresh. I have a coffee mill I use to grind spices.

Back
Top Bottom