McDonald Fries are Bad for You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always thought that taste was char from the grilling ;)

Actually (yes, I know that I'm splitting hairs here, but for educational sake) the "char" flavor from any grilled foods comes not from the charing of the food, but rather from the smoke particles deposited on the food. The smoke, of course, comes from the fat that burns on the heat source, be it flaming charcoal, or flavorizing bars on a gas grill. Create a different smoke, say from mesquite, and you have a different smoke flavor.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My only problem with BK is that everything smells and tastes like their deep fat fryers. I don't know why McD's doesn't have that problem.

I'll stick with my double cheeseburger and small fries. :cool:

Having them now and then won't kill me.

Ya know... I might have to ask next time.

Although to be honest, I tend to like getting away with a $2.00 order at Mickey Dee's... :D

Well, that's not quite true. This is not to say that McDonald's fries should be a frequent part of one's diet, but there is some nutritional value in them: Calories in McDonald's Small French Fry - Nutrition Facts, and Healthy Alternatives - The Daily Plate Calorie Counter

Home-made fries probably contain a similar amount of fat, and the starch is the same as it would be in a baked potato.

I enjoy them occasionally myself, although I prefer Burger King because the burgers are flame-broiled.

Nutritional Value isn't your best source for determining this info. I would love to see the ingredients in making this fries. Probably can't pronounce a single word.

Nutritional Value isn't your best source for determining this info. I would love to see the ingredients in making this fries. Probably can't pronounce a single word.

So? Everything we eat, whether fresh food or an additive, has a chemical name that might be hard to pronounce. That doesn't mean it's going to hurt you in any way, just that most of us aren't chemists.

Here is the ingredient list for McD's fries:

French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor (wheat and milk derivatives)*, citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent)), salt. Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.)

Exactly how I make mine!!

So? Everything we eat, whether fresh food or an additive, has a chemical name that might be hard to pronounce. That doesn't mean it's going to hurt you in any way, just that most of us aren't chemists.

True! I’m thinking for lunch I’m going to have a bowl of lactuca sativa with solanum lycopersicum, and strips of meleagris ocellata prepared in an aqueous sodium chloride solution prior to the intiation of a conductive thermal energy transfer. All of which will be topped with piper nigrum, sodium chloride, and an emulsification of impure dilute acetic acid and lipids.

Uh.....salad with lettuce, tomato, grilled turkey, salt, pepper and a vinaigrette! :LOL:

McDonalds french fries are made from potatoes that have been washed, steam peeled, blanched, dried, then par-fried, seasoned, and frozen. So, they are fried twice. This is the first frying prior to freezing.

French Fries:
Potatoes, vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil, natural beef flavor (wheat and milk derivatives)*, citric acid (preservative), dextrose, sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color), dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent)), salt.

Notice the parenthesis (shown in red). This shows that all those additives are in the oil and not put on the potato. Thus, we really only have three ingredients. Potato, oil, and salt. But let’s look at the whole list anyway.

Potatoes are simple.

Now for the oil:

vegetable oil (partially hydrogenated soybean oil) - Soy bean oil that has had hydrogen added to it to make it a partially saturated fat. This makes it solid at room temperature and more stable with a longer shelf life. It’s a trans fat and is used to fry the potatoes the first time.

natural beef flavor (wheat and milk derivatives) – animal proteins for flavor, think powdered beef bullion. This is added to the oil and not the potato.

citric acid (preservative) – an extract from citrus fruits. As a preservative, it acts as an antioxidant and it is added to the frying oil, and not the potato itself.

Dextrose – sugar, it’s added to the oil and not the potato.

sodium acid pyrophosphate (maintain color) – another antioxidant (preservative) that is added to the frying oil and not the potato itself.

dimethylpolysiloxane (antifoaming agent) – this is antifoaming agent that changes the surface tension of a liquid preventing bubbles from forming. This is useful when frying as you don’t want the oil to boil over. This is added to the frying oil and not the potato itself. This chemical is also used in medicines that treat you for flatulence and intestinal gas.

And finally, the third ingredient - Salt = sodium chloride....this is put on the potato after frying.

So, we have potatoes, fried in oil, then flavored with salt. Technically, not too different from the way anyone makes a french fry at home – fry it, season it, and serve it.

The only exception being the preservatives in the oil......and those things may be in the oils we’re using at home anyway. Not to mention that those preservative items can be found in citrus fruits, baked goods, and gas relief medicines.......all very common things.

This is the second frying in the restaurant:

Prepared in vegetable oil ((may contain one of the following: Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, partially hydrogenated corn oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness), dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent). *CONTAINS: WHEAT AND MILK (Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.)

So again, it's just oil. And the last part is a * note from above.

The oil is a blend of regular unsaturated oils and unsaturated oils that have had hydrogen added thus turning them into trans fats (a partially saturated fat) so that they are solid at room temperature and have a longer shelf life.

So, what we have is a special oil they use for frying. It’s an oil that has preservatives in it to help it last longer, it has flavoring added to it, and it has been treated so that it will not foam up.

In that oil, a regular potato is fried and then seasoned with salt. So, the only real ingredients here are Potato, Oil, and Salt. Not that weird really.

Last edited:
It’s an oil that has preservatives in it to help it last longer, it has flavoring added to it, and it has been treated so that it will not foam up.

And, according to an acquaintence of mine, it makes an excellent fuel for his Ford Bronco biodiesel.

And, according to an acquaintence of mine, it makes an excellent fuel for his Ford Bronco biodiesel.

Absolutely! In fact, Rudolph Diesel (the inventor of the diesel engine) originally designed the diesel engine to work with vegetable oil. Rudolph filed a patent in 1892 for the diesel engine, and from that point in time, until the 1920’s, all diesel engine ran strictly on vegetable oil!

In the 20’s, under pressure/influence from the “oil tycoons”, diesel engine manufacturers altered the diesel engine design to utilize fossil fuel residues instead of vegetable oil.

Fortunately, today we are seeing a resurgence of vegetable oil powered engines that will hopefully lead to further breakthroughs and less reliance on fossil fuels.

McDonalds is actually doing their part as well.

OK Keltin and Caine, from now on it's McDonald's french fries for me and mine! Never let it be said I didn't do my part to reduce reliance on fossil fuels! lol

OK Keltin and Caine, from now on it's McDonald's french fries for me and mine! Never let it be said I didn't do my part to reduce reliance on fossil fuels! lol

On behalf of myself, and all the other fossils around here, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom