McDonald Fries are Bad for You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has been interesting. Has anyone done a study on BK's fries? Or any other major fastfood chain's fries?
In the end, a fastfood fry is a fry by any other name!. :)

I use canola oil in my commercial kitchen for deepfrying various things, it has antifoaming added and Im not sure what else. My point is, if you are ordering catering from me, any deepfried products will most likely have met the same oily bath as McD's fries. Or any commercially cooked fries. Not just McD's. I very rarely eat McD's but I feel they get singled out for a heap of protest.

The New Zealand Mickey Dee's have a series of TV ads going on at the moment showing just where they get their produce. Actually, I found it comforting that the bacon comes from where I get mine, the bread is my home brand , the potatoes are grown near where I grew up, the cheese is from Mainland, our biggest provider of dairy to supermarkets, the beef is NZ, etc.
As far as a couple of mentions upthread about ' what we saw out the back' I believe that is merely a hygiene issue which is bad enough, and Im equally sure nobody watched as great hypodermics were filled with chemical cocktails and squirted in to each pickle, patty or fry that left the premises!! lolol:rolleyes:

This and Supersize Me are both laughable because neither one is really about the food - they are just trying to bash McDonalds. Let's look at a couple of examples to support my theory.

Who, if you've ever had one, doesn't love those little White Castle hamburgers that you buy by the sackfull because they are so small and taste sooo good? Since the WC burger only weighs 50g, and a McD burger is 105g - I'll compare 2 WC burgers to 1 McD.

They both come in at 280 calories. Total fat: WC=14g, McD=10g. Saturated fat: WC=6g, McD=4g. Neither one reports Trans fat ... but since they are both made from beef there will be a trace - but probably no more than about 0.1g - but cretainly less than 0.5g which would qualify both to claim 0 grams per serving.

So, how about the fries? Well, for this I looked at McD, Dairy Queen and Burger King - and adjusted them all to the size of a small McD order of 105g. For total fat: McD=15g, DQ=16.75g, BK=16.7g. Saturated fat: McD=3g, DQ=3.72g, BK=4.5g. McD and DQ didn't show any Trans fat - but BK has 4.5g! FYI: the Nutritional Summary for 100g Potatoes, frozen, french fried, par fried, extruded, prepared, heated in oven, without salt: Total fat=18g, Sat fat=6g.

Fries, if properly cooked, will have little or no moisture, will not absorb grease, and be sealed against absorbing moisture from the air. Like someone said - it's like jerky.

(The above nutritional information comes from the NutritionData website)

The truth is - McD doesn't turn good food into unhealthy food. You can create the same food at home, and you can overeat and consume too many calories and too much fat without ever going near a fast-food joint!

Last edited:
I love McDonalds fries.

I spend a good deal of my teenage/young adult yeras making them, too. I live a block from a McD but have gone (to any McD's) maybe 10-12 times in 10 years. And I usually don't order fries, so even though I love them, hardly ever eat them.

What I love even more than McD's fries are TATER TOTS.

But, we started buying Stop and Shop brand tater tots (difft. name obviously) a few years ago because they were non trans fat and Ore Ida is still trans fat (as far as I know). The S and S brand nontransfat are sooooo much better. More potato taste and no waxy mouthfeel.
:)I just bought a bag af Ore Ida tator tots and as far as I could tell they are not made with trans fat anymore I did not check the others.Im surprised they did not make a big deal they went non trans fat.

Last edited:
Michael, I missed you. Thanks for the succinct summary. Thats really helpful info for ALL of us.

Back
Top Bottom