McDonald Fries are Bad for You!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yuck! I'm ashamed to say I fed them to my kids when they were small. Fortunately, we mended our ways years ago and now avoid them like the plague. My kids are 18 & 21 and in great health!

Could you supersize that, please?! Imagine how many people depend on fast food to sustain themselves? Ugh!

I didn't grow up with it. It wasn't around then so never got "hooked," as it were. I can practically count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've had fast food. Not really, but it's so infrequent I would be considered a weirdo by many folks.

Actually, the same's true for "chain-style" restaurants. Much prefer mom-and-pop types and better, more upscale restaurants. Just me. I have to qualify my answer by saying we rarely eat out. Mostly for special occasions.

That’s a bit biased and uniformed. Had that food been chewed and submitted to your stomach for digestion, your stomach acids and many an enzyme based process would have easily broken that down. As for the fries, they are very thin and completely cured by the frying process and salt.

If I were to make beef jerky and leave it on the counter for 10 weeks, what do you think would happen. I can fry an Ore Ida fry and the same thing will happen. As a matter of fact, I can fry a regular potato slice and the same thing will happen (or not happen as the case may be). Think about potato chips. They are fried potatoes, and they can sit for years and not grow mold....stale yes....but not moldy. Same for dehydrated banana chips, trail mix, cereal, Doritos, etc.

Not saying this in defense of the fries, but the fact is, there is so little volatile matter that hasn’t been scorched by the oil that there is little to actually grow and turn. This was a very uninformed and biased video. Again, not defending the food, but I hate biased misinformation.

Ever seen what happens to fresh Lobster or Filet Mignon when its been left on the counter for 10 weeks?

Last edited:
We've had a big debate about the Supersize me video too. Its one of those things you need to consider carefully as not all the information is shared in the video.

There was a teacher here who set out to refute the Supersize me claims. He ate nothing but McD's food for the same period of time, but he exercised as he normally does. And then he added some exercise to compensate for the extra caloric intake and ended up losing weight.

As gross as it is, we all need to be a bit sceptical of the information that we have tossed at us on a regular basis. Keltin, thanks for the reality check.

Well, let's see. The guy in the video did not offer any explanation, so here's mine.

Perhaps the way to interpret the phenomenon of the non-decomposing fries is that they pass right through your body without anything, including the fat, carbs, and calories, being absorbed. They are eliminated intact without any detrimental effect!

And they taste so great going down, that you may as well eat as many as you want!

I like that one.

Where's YT when you need him?

Lee

We've had a big debate about the Supersize me video too. Its one of those things you need to consider carefully as not all the information is shared in the video.

There was a teacher here who set out to refute the Supersize me claims. He ate nothing but McD's food for the same period of time, but he exercised as he normally does. And then he added some exercise to compensate for the extra caloric intake and ended up losing weight.

As gross as it is, we all need to be a bit sceptical of the information that we have tossed at us on a regular basis. Keltin, thanks for the reality check.

And thank you Alix! The fact is, McDonalds is regulated by the FDA and USDA just as every one else is. The “food” is graded safe and consumable. And it is all the basics of protein, carbs, and fat. Same as any other meal. Albeit, there is more fat which is of some concern, and there may be additives for preservation……….as there are in nearly every thing we buy today that doesn’t come off the back of a farmer’s truck……and even off a farmer’s truck you have to wonder if it was “organic” or not and what pesticides were used.

But let’s get real, McDonald’s isn’t selling irradiated alien flesh from the Talmurian sector. It’s standard food (not high-end restaurant grade, but regular ole food none-the-less) and the major concern is fat content and over-eating.

Well, let's see. The guy in the video did not offer any explanation, so here's mine.

Perhaps the way to interpret the phenomenon of the non-decomposing fries is that they pass right through your body without anything, including the fat, carbs, and calories, being absorbed. They are eliminated intact without any detrimental effect!

And they taste so great going down, that you may as well eat as many as you want!

I like that one.

Where's YT when you need him?

Lee

HEY....that makes it fiber! And fiber is good for you. More fries please! :LOL:

It is easy to pick anything out of the Western diet and criticize it. Try eating nothing but the recipes presented and prepared by Paula Deen or Emeril for 30 days without compensating for the high fat, salt, sugar and carbohydrate content and you will most likely end up with the same results as the original video. The video proves nothing except that excess is not good for you.

I think the main premise of Supersize Me was the fact that portion sizings were just way too big when an "upsized or supersized" meal was offered. I was shocked when i saw the size of the fries and bucket of coke offered from McD's in the states. Don't know if much has changed but I know that here in Australia you're large fries are prob the same size as a US regular. + who needs to drink over a litre of coke in one meal sitting.

:)I think that goes for the frozen french fries you get at the store as well I quit buying them over a year ago when I realized they were made with trans fat.Now when I want fries with something at home I make potato wedges roasted in oven with olive oil they are alot better tasting and Im sure better for you.

I love McDonalds fries.

I spend a good deal of my teenage/young adult yeras making them, too. I live a block from a McD but have gone (to any McD's) maybe 10-12 times in 10 years. And I usually don't order fries, so even though I love them, hardly ever eat them.

What I love even more than McD's fries are TATER TOTS.

But, we started buying Stop and Shop brand tater tots (difft. name obviously) a few years ago because they were non trans fat and Ore Ida is still trans fat (as far as I know). The S and S brand nontransfat are sooooo much better. More potato taste and no waxy mouthfeel.

Eeeeowww.... that's disgusting. :sick: Hey, this thread is becoming an anti-McPuke thread.

I have a friend who worked at McPuke for the longest time. She was the manager for a couple of years. After quitting the place, she's NEVER EVER eaten anything from McPuke, not even the fries. After what she's seen in the back, she's never been able to go near McPuke. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom