"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Unhappy McDonald Fries are Bad for You!

Don't believe me? Check out this video. It's by the same dude who did Supersize Me.

Video: How Nasty Are McDonalds Fries? | shizzville

After watching this video, I've never been able to eat McDonald fries any more!

Old 09-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

So, if you fing one under your carseat, it will be safe to eat.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
So, if you fing one under your carseat, it will be safe to eat.
Right you are, Andy! Actually, if the fries was still there for 1 year, I doubt it'd grow mouldy.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Oh gross .........
Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Yuck! I'm ashamed to say I fed them to my kids when they were small. Fortunately, we mended our ways years ago and now avoid them like the plague. My kids are 18 & 21 and in great health!
Old 09-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Could you supersize that, please?! Imagine how many people depend on fast food to sustain themselves? Ugh!

I didn't grow up with it. It wasn't around then so never got "hooked," as it were. I can practically count on the fingers of one hand how many times I've had fast food. Not really, but it's so infrequent I would be considered a weirdo by many folks.

Actually, the same's true for "chain-style" restaurants. Much prefer mom-and-pop types and better, more upscale restaurants. Just me. I have to qualify my answer by saying we rarely eat out. Mostly for special occasions.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
That’s a bit biased and uniformed. Had that food been chewed and submitted to your stomach for digestion, your stomach acids and many an enzyme based process would have easily broken that down. As for the fries, they are very thin and completely cured by the frying process and salt.

If I were to make beef jerky and leave it on the counter for 10 weeks, what do you think would happen. I can fry an Ore Ida fry and the same thing will happen. As a matter of fact, I can fry a regular potato slice and the same thing will happen (or not happen as the case may be). Think about potato chips. They are fried potatoes, and they can sit for years and not grow mold....stale yes....but not moldy. Same for dehydrated banana chips, trail mix, cereal, Doritos, etc.

Not saying this in defense of the fries, but the fact is, there is so little volatile matter that hasn’t been scorched by the oil that there is little to actually grow and turn. This was a very uninformed and biased video. Again, not defending the food, but I hate biased misinformation.

Ever seen what happens to fresh Lobster or Filet Mignon when its been left on the counter for 10 weeks?
Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Everymom

We've had a big debate about the Supersize me video too. Its one of those things you need to consider carefully as not all the information is shared in the video.

There was a teacher here who set out to refute the Supersize me claims. He ate nothing but McD's food for the same period of time, but he exercised as he normally does. And then he added some exercise to compensate for the extra caloric intake and ended up losing weight.

As gross as it is, we all need to be a bit sceptical of the information that we have tossed at us on a regular basis. Keltin, thanks for the reality check.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
Head Chef

Well, let's see. The guy in the video did not offer any explanation, so here's mine.

Perhaps the way to interpret the phenomenon of the non-decomposing fries is that they pass right through your body without anything, including the fat, carbs, and calories, being absorbed. They are eliminated intact without any detrimental effect!

And they taste so great going down, that you may as well eat as many as you want!

I like that one.

Where's YT when you need him?

Lee
Old 09-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
We've had a big debate about the Supersize me video too. Its one of those things you need to consider carefully as not all the information is shared in the video.

There was a teacher here who set out to refute the Supersize me claims. He ate nothing but McD's food for the same period of time, but he exercised as he normally does. And then he added some exercise to compensate for the extra caloric intake and ended up losing weight.

As gross as it is, we all need to be a bit sceptical of the information that we have tossed at us on a regular basis. Keltin, thanks for the reality check.
And thank you Alix! The fact is, McDonalds is regulated by the FDA and USDA just as every one else is. The “food” is graded safe and consumable. And it is all the basics of protein, carbs, and fat. Same as any other meal. Albeit, there is more fat which is of some concern, and there may be additives for preservation……….as there are in nearly every thing we buy today that doesn’t come off the back of a farmer’s truck……and even off a farmer’s truck you have to wonder if it was “organic” or not and what pesticides were used.

But let’s get real, McDonald’s isn’t selling irradiated alien flesh from the Talmurian sector. It’s standard food (not high-end restaurant grade, but regular ole food none-the-less) and the major concern is fat content and over-eating.