"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Make it a lunch date and do a quiche. It's simple, but well executed, a very nice meal. Crab, baby spinach, roasted peppers, fontina, and a simple cream redux as a sauce. Also, gives you time to hang out while it cooks.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

First off, thanks for the suggestions, all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Welcome to DC.

Umm....have you suggested this "treat" to her? Regardless of what she said, you could be making a very serious mistake.

She claims to be able to burn grilled cheese - this isn't inability to cook as much as lack of concentration and lack of interest. Perhaps she's just not interesting in cooking and was just being polite.

This idea has a massive built-in hidden agenda here. An offer to teach me to drive, play tennis, shoot clay pigeons - fine - but if I was a non-cook and a boyfriend offered to teach me to cook I would find such an offer patronising in the extreme. I would consider it a major criticism of my suitability as his girlfriend and would be likely to give said (by then ex-) boyfriend a sharp left hook and the bum's rush!!!

Wait until she actually asks you to teach her without any prompting from you and then STILL be careful how you approach the task

Perhaps, when you know her better, you could negotiate a compromise where when it's your turn to supply the food you cook - when it's her turn she buys dinner in a restaurant.
I should probably clarify - we've actually been friends for about 3 years prior to this. She has actually asked me if I would show her a thing or two, which is why I wanted to find something easy for her to try out.

To be honest, if it's not her thing, that's fine - I don't really hold any expectations. Some people enjoy cooking and some do not; I was worried at first that she was trying to push for it because of some misguided notion that she had to be able to cook, but we've talked about it at length and she seems genuinely interested.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Welcome to DC.

Umm....have you suggested this "treat" to her? Regardless of what she said, you could be making a very serious mistake.

She claims to be able to burn grilled cheese - this isn't inability to cook as much as lack of concentration and lack of interest. Perhaps she's just not interesting in cooking and was just being polite.

This idea has a massive built-in hidden agenda here. An offer to teach me to drive, play tennis, shoot clay pigeons - fine - but if I was a non-cook and a boyfriend offered to teach me to cook I would find such an offer patronising in the extreme. I would consider it a major criticism of my suitability as his girlfriend and would be likely to give said (by then ex-) boyfriend a sharp left hook and the bum's rush!!!

Wait until she actually asks you to teach her without any prompting from you and then STILL be careful how you approach the task

Perhaps, when you know her better, you could negotiate a compromise where when it's your turn to supply the food you cook - when it's her turn she buys dinner in a restaurant.
You seriously need help with reading comprehension and your insecurity issue. The OP stated that she showed an interest in learning. That by no means can be considered patronizing on his part. On the contrary, it is a clear "green light" for his offer.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribalbob View Post
First off, thanks for the suggestions, all.

I should probably clarify - we've actually been friends for about 3 years prior to this. She has actually asked me if I would show her a thing or two, which is why I wanted to find something easy for her to try out.

To be honest, if it's not her thing, that's fine - I don't really hold any expectations. Some people enjoy cooking and some do not; I was worried at first that she was trying to push for it because of some misguided notion that she had to be able to cook, but we've talked about it at length and she seems genuinely interested.
Aha, That's different then. I thought she was a new girlfriend and I didn't realise she'd actually asked for help. Sorry.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Head Chef

I look on these things where someone is clueless about cooking, wants to be able to something, but isn't interested in becoming a virtuoso cook as a need for them to just know how do do some basic things, for themselves, if for no one else. I mean so that they can make themselves a decent meal that's not all processed, engineered, frozen, packaged stuff. Real food, in other words.

I guess everyone could have their own ideas of what was essential, but I would include selecting and pan cooking a steak without overcooking it, making a pot of fluffy rice, properly cooking pasta, making smooth and non-gluey mashed potatoes, making a basic vinaigrette, and making one, simple to prepare, but reasonably impressive side dish to be their regular contribution to a family holiday meal or an office potluck. Nothing strenuous there. Just a few, easy to remember things to know.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
You seriously need help with reading comprehension and your insecurity issue. The OP stated that she showed an interest in learning. That by no means can be considered patronizing on his part. On the contrary, it is a clear "green light" for his offer.
My point was that she may have "showed an interest" as a matter of good manners rather than a serious desire to be taken on one side and instructed. In any case if you'd read the resulting post from the OP you'd have seen that we'd sorted that one out.

Haven't you noticed by now that insecurity is not one of my problems
Old 07-03-2014, 11:47 PM   #17
Head Chef

Simple & easy baked lobster tails, Season with paprika, parsley, butter, and maby a touch of white wine. Bake @ 350 for 10-12 minutes. Serve with a baked potato,asparagrus, Sexy too! you will both love it. Make it fun, tasty and simple.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 AM   #18
Head Chef

Oh yeah, by the way. All he asked for is simple recipes. So get your s@*t together! I thought we were here to help?
Old 07-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I hate to throw cold salted water on every one, but unless you know for certain that a person does not have a seafood allergy, I would be very hesitant to suggest seafood.

If you don't believe me, ask PF. She discovered her seafood allergy quite by accident. So did I, but it almost cost me my life. It has been decades since I had my really serious reaction to seafood. But over the years, by just touching my lips to a small piece, I have been able to build up a tolerance. In the process I discovered it was the iodine in the seafood that I am allergic to.

I never recommend fish or anything from the sea to anyone. I am the first to say food from the sea is the very best. But I wouldn't want to be the one sitting there at the table watching another person's face swell up to where there eyes became invisible.

Having recently had a lobster feast, I had my fill and since there were four tail, I made sure that the first mouthful tasted right to me. One hint of iodine, and I would have tossed the whole of the lobster salad in the garbage.

I was born with a problem thyroid. It was never discovered until the seafood allergy showed up. Now with medication, it is under control. But I am still leary of seafood.

BTW, those lobster tails look so delicious. Great idea for a romantic evening!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:34 AM   #20
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I hate to throw cold salted water on every one, but unless you know for certain that a person does not have a seafood allergy, I would be very hesitant to suggest seafood.

If you don't believe me, ask PF. She discovered her seafood allergy quite by accident. So did I, but it almost cost me my life. It has been decades since I had my really serious reaction to seafood. But over the years, by just touching my lips to a small piece, I have been able to build up a tolerance. In the process I discovered it was the iodine in the seafood that I am allergic to.

I never recommend fish or anything from the sea to anyone. I am the first to say food from the sea is the very best. But I wouldn't want to be the one sitting there at the table watching another person's face swell up to where there eyes became invisible.

Having recently had a lobster feast, I had my fill and since there were four tail, I made sure that the first mouthful tasted right to me. One hint of iodine, and I would have tossed the whole of the lobster salad in the garbage.

I was born with a problem thyroid. It was never discovered until the seafood allergy showed up. Now with medication, it is under control. But I am still leary of seafood.

BTW, those lobster tails look so delicious. Great idea for a romantic evening!
If they've been friends for 3 years, you think that a seafood allergen would have been covered. . .also covered when OP stated the restrictions for the girlfriend.

Tags
cook