Meal idea for a new cook?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hate to throw cold salted water on every one, but unless you know for certain that a person does not have a seafood allergy, I would be very hesitant to suggest seafood.

If you don't believe me, ask PF. She discovered her seafood allergy quite by accident. So did I, but it almost cost me my life. It has been decades since I had my really serious reaction to seafood. But over the years, by just touching my lips to a small piece, I have been able to build up a tolerance. In the process I discovered it was the iodine in the seafood that I am allergic to.

I never recommend fish or anything from the sea to anyone. I am the first to say food from the sea is the very best. But I wouldn't want to be the one sitting there at the table watching another person's face swell up to where there eyes became invisible.

Having recently had a lobster feast, I had my fill and since there were four tail, I made sure that the first mouthful tasted right to me. One hint of iodine, and I would have tossed the whole of the lobster salad in the garbage.

I was born with a problem thyroid. It was never discovered until the seafood allergy showed up. Now with medication, it is under control. But I am still leary of seafood.

BTW, those lobster tails look so delicious. Great idea for a romantic evening! :angel:

Thought seafood was asked for in the 1st post?

If they've been friends for 3 years, you think that a seafood allergen would have been covered. . .also covered when OP stated the restrictions for the girlfriend.
I have a friend of some 30 years standing. We have eaten regularly at each other's houses and I only found out a few weeks ago in an idle conversation that she is allergic to shell fish. The question never arose even though I often cook paella for parties as I have vegan friends so always do a meat and fish version and a vegetable version and hadn't noticed that she only ever had the veggie one.

Addie was making a perfectly reasonable point.

I have a friend of some 30 years standing. We have eaten regularly at each other's houses and I only found out a few weeks ago in an idle conversation that she is allergic to shell fish. The question never arose even though I often cook paella for parties as I have vegan friends so always do a meat and fish version and a vegetable version and hadn't noticed that she only ever had the veggie one.

Addie was making a perfectly reasonable point.

Thank you MC. My comment was more for the forum and not directed to the OP. PF never had a problem with shellfish. Then one day at her job, she reached for a shrimp and her lips began to swell. It did take her by surprise since she had been eating shellfish all of her life and all of a sudden she is allergic. Go figure. It can happen to anyone. :angel:

Last edited:
I would work on grilled cheese sandwiches for the first lesson. If she can't do a grilled cheese sandwich with out burning it, she needs lessons on paying attention to what's cooking.

Back
Top Bottom