"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-01-2014, 09:45 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I always think of the movie Sling Blade when someone mentions potted meat!

It always amazes me the things kids will eat and do when they are out in a situation like your camping trip. It's fun to watch them make a breathless report to an amazed mom when they get back home!
I took two canoe trips into Canada's Quetico wilderness when I was in high school, back in 1962-63. We didn't exactly pack light, but that's because there was no freeze dried anything - we had to use the sorts of foods that travelers had been using for centuries - everything had to be able to survive without refrigeration for 8 days - no coolers on those trips. We took a good bit for summer sausage and salami for meat, plus the occasional fish that we caught on the trip. We ate a lot of oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast, PBJ sandwiches for lunch, rice and cheese and salami and summer sausage for dinners on those trips (plus Hol-Ry, the rye crackers that were a staple part of any trip out of Charles L. Sommers Canoe Base on Moose Lake). One highlight was camp made blueberry pie, made with the blueberries that grew all over many of the islands we camped on. We also had apple pie made with rehydrated dried apples, both were heavenly after 4 or 5 long days of paddling and portaging.

My point with this was that on the last night before we got back to Sommers Canoe Base (Boy Scouts of America) we had what we called border stew. This consisted of all of the remaining rice, meats, and cheese left in the food packs, cooked until it reached the right consistency, which means until the spoon would stand straight up in the pot. That was the gauge for most one pot meals. The food may not have been exotic, but it was hearty, and I never heard anyone complain. Those trips were my first introduction to Cayenne pepper - one year our guide was from Del Rio, Texas, and Cayenne went into every one pot dinner. (My mom was born and raised Minnesota and never had any experience with anything spicier than black pepper.)

Old 07-01-2014, 11:10 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I took two canoe trips into Canada's Quetico wilderness when I was in high school, back in 1962-63. We didn't exactly pack light, but that's because there was no freeze dried anything - we had to use the sorts of foods that travelers had been using for centuries - everything had to be able to survive without refrigeration for 8 days - no coolers on those trips. We took a good bit for summer sausage and salami for meat, plus the occasional fish that we caught on the trip. We ate a lot of oatmeal and dried fruit for breakfast, PBJ sandwiches for lunch, rice and cheese and salami and summer sausage for dinners on those trips (plus Hol-Ry, the rye crackers that were a staple part of any trip out of Charles L. Sommers Canoe Base on Moose Lake). One highlight was camp made blueberry pie, made with the blueberries that grew all over many of the islands we camped on. We also had apple pie made with rehydrated dried apples, both were heavenly after 4 or 5 long days of paddling and portaging.

My point with this was that on the last night before we got back to Sommers Canoe Base (Boy Scouts of America) we had what we called border stew. This consisted of all of the remaining rice, meats, and cheese left in the food packs, cooked until it reached the right consistency, which means until the spoon would stand straight up in the pot. That was the gauge for most one pot meals. The food may not have been exotic, but it was hearty, and I never heard anyone complain. Those trips were my first introduction to Cayenne pepper - one year our guide was from Del Rio, Texas, and Cayenne went into every one pot dinner. (My mom was born and raised Minnesota and never had any experience with anything spicier than black pepper.)
Great story, reminds me of hiking with my stepfather when I was a kid. We used to carry a chunk of the much maligned Christmas fruitcake, cheddar cheese, a couple of apples and a giant chunk of chocolate for lunches along the trail. Today I would add a zip lock bag full of natural peanut butter.

We made a version of your camp blueberry pie. We used black caps, sugar and a little water in a deep frying pan simmered until syrupy, added dumplings sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, popped on the lid and let them simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. No ice cream in the woods, we were roughing it!

I have some fond memories of camping and that is enough for me.

Today I have absolutely no desire to leave my comfy apartment and sleep in the weeds!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Great story, reminds me of hiking with my stepfather when I was a kid. We used to carry a chunk of the much maligned Christmas fruitcake, cheddar cheese, a couple of apples and a giant chunk of chocolate for lunches along the trail. Today I would add a zip lock bag full of natural peanut butter.

We made a version of your camp blueberry pie. We used black caps, sugar and a little water in a deep frying pan simmered until syrupy, added dumplings sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, popped on the lid and let them simmer for 15 or 20 minutes. No ice cream in the woods, we were roughing it!

I have some fond memories of camping and that is enough for me.

Today I have absolutely no desire to leave my comfy apartment and sleep in the weeds!
This is how I go camping: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-pa...-rentals.shtml
Old 07-01-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Car camping?! Heck, forget the butane stove, take your kitchen sink with you!...lol
Yeah, I know, but we haven't been camping in 25+ years. I figured we would start with something simple and a bit glamorous before we try backpacking into the wilderness. :)

In recent years we've been renting unique cottages or cabins in different areas. We have fun trying out the local restaurants, though occasionally we'll cook our own meals in the cabin.

Money has been tight lately and I'm always looking for new experiences, so we thought we would try camping again.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

One of my favorite fast one pot meals is tortellini with some veggies. Boil the tortellini and add some broccoli and carrots to the boil at the last minute. Drain and add some prepared pesto and stir.

If you're car camping I would pack a small charcoal grill - even one of those disposable ones and make burgers. Almost nothing beat burgers cooked outside.... You could also cook chicken breasts this way or grill a piece of fish....
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Camping is for relaxing ... for everyone including the cook. If the campers aren't happy with simple meals the cook prepares... sandwiches, stew, chili and even those hot dogs and hamburgers, some one needs to take the cook to town for dinner in civilization.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:42 AM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
One of my favorite fast one pot meals is tortellini with some veggies. Boil the tortellini and add some broccoli and carrots to the boil at the last minute. Drain and add some prepared pesto and stir.

Boil the tortellini and add some broccoli and carrots to boil at the last minute? Add some prepared pesto and stir?

I dunno. Sounds like camping New Jersey style.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #28
Master Chef

I forgot to mention my number one food to take camping. It was an old fashioned meat loaf made at home, sliced and wrapped in foil in a sealed plastic bag for the ice chest.
After traveling with a late arrival, it was simple to put together meatloaf sandwiches for the first night dinner, not to mention great lunches.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:43 PM   #29
Executive Chef

You repeat yourself KL. ( See page 2 this thread). But what a good reminder it is! I've been jonesing for both meatloaf sammies and sloppy joes. And I think I have had both pretty recently. The only Camping I am doing this weekend is in my living room watching football tv. I think Meatloaf-- ready between any halftimes.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
You repeat yourself KL. ( See page 2 this thread). But what a good reminder it is! I've been jonesing for both meatloaf sammies and sloppy joes. And I think I have had both pretty recently. The only Camping I am doing this weekend is in my living room watching football tv. I think Meatloaf-- ready between any halftimes.
Oh cripe, when I start repeating myself on a regular basis, somebody just smack me. My only excuse is I made the first post more than a year ago.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping