"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-30-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Meal ideas for camping?

We are planning to go camping next month, but I haven't been camping in years. So, I am looking for meal suggestions, something other than the typical hot dogs or foil packets. I have a butane burner stove with a small pot and pan, so they don't necessarily need to be campfire meals. I just need meals that travel well and are easy to prepare.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Spam in signature.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

My apologies, new user, I didn't realize links weren't allowed in signatures. I removed the link. Still looking for camping meal ideas...

Thanks!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to Discuss Cooking

We have a forum for campfire and outdoor Dutch-oven cooking: Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Under Display Options, change the dates shown from Last Two Weeks to Last Year or From Beginning.

A friend of mine likes to take pre-cooked pasta in plastic bags, then cook Italian sausage, peppers and onions at the campsite on the stove. A sprinkle of Italian seasoning, some olive oil and some Parmesan cheese makes a nice meal.
Old 06-30-2014, 01:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

GotGarlic,

Thanks, I'll check out the other forum!
Old 06-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

If you are looking at canned or jarred foods, remove them from the container and place the contents in a zippy bag. Less weight, and takes up less room. Precooked foods also such as the spaghetti mentioned in a previous post can be placed in zippy bags. Start saving those little packets of ketchup and mustard. Why lug heavy containers around?
Old 06-30-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Addie,

We will be "car" camping, so the size and weight of extra containers isn't really an issue for our two night getaway.

Even though we'll be camping, I'm try to avoid canned or premade foods that we would just reheat. I don't mind prepping ingredients ahead of time, like cutting up vegetables, but I don't want to make chili or stew ahead of time and reheat it.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I have something similar to this multi-spice shaker.

Mine has black pepper, salt, paprika, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and granulated garlic. I got it in the camping section at Walmart. It's handy to have a selection of spices in a small container.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Meal ideas for camping?

Welcome to DC! I think as long as you have a cooler and lots of ice, with your setup you will be able to cook anything you want. Chicken, fish, pork, etc. I would bring stuff for seasoning and marinating, along with ziplocks in which to do so. A bag of precut carrots, celery, whole potatoes, any other veggies and fruits for salads and sides. Roadside stands along the way would be a good source of local produce.

I like that spice shaker, GG.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Master Chef

Car camping?! Heck, forget the butane stove, take your kitchen sink with you!...lol...
Welcome, and enjoy your camping trip!

Tags
camping