Meal ideas for camping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mountainsoft

Assistant Cook
We are planning to go camping next month, but I haven't been camping in years. So, I am looking for meal suggestions, something other than the typical hot dogs or foil packets. I have a butane burner stove with a small pot and pan, so they don't necessarily need to be campfire meals. I just need meals that travel well and are easy to prepare.

Thanks!

My apologies, new user, I didn't realize links weren't allowed in signatures. I removed the link. Still looking for camping meal ideas...

Thanks!

Welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

We have a forum for campfire and outdoor Dutch-oven cooking: Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Under Display Options, change the dates shown from Last Two Weeks to Last Year or From Beginning.

A friend of mine likes to take pre-cooked pasta in plastic bags, then cook Italian sausage, peppers and onions at the campsite on the stove. A sprinkle of Italian seasoning, some olive oil and some Parmesan cheese makes a nice meal.

Last edited:
If you are looking at canned or jarred foods, remove them from the container and place the contents in a zippy bag. Less weight, and takes up less room. Precooked foods also such as the spaghetti mentioned in a previous post can be placed in zippy bags. Start saving those little packets of ketchup and mustard. Why lug heavy containers around? :angel:

Addie,

We will be "car" camping, so the size and weight of extra containers isn't really an issue for our two night getaway.

Even though we'll be camping, I'm try to avoid canned or premade foods that we would just reheat. I don't mind prepping ingredients ahead of time, like cutting up vegetables, but I don't want to make chili or stew ahead of time and reheat it.

I have something similar to this multi-spice shaker.

Mine has black pepper, salt, paprika, seasoned salt, cayenne pepper and granulated garlic. I got it in the camping section at Walmart. It's handy to have a selection of spices in a small container.

Welcome to DC! I think as long as you have a cooler and lots of ice, with your setup you will be able to cook anything you want. Chicken, fish, pork, etc. I would bring stuff for seasoning and marinating, along with ziplocks in which to do so. A bag of precut carrots, celery, whole potatoes, any other veggies and fruits for salads and sides. Roadside stands along the way would be a good source of local produce.

I like that spice shaker, GG.

Last edited:
I am not big fan of spam, but idea is definitely the right one. I used to buy canned meats, they almost look like military supply cans. Then all you need to do is bring veggie or pasta with you and make whatever dish you like, but using canned meat.
Just re-read your post. Car, well, car, the stove. Just bring whatever you would make at home and do it.
But if you do make real fire, Wrap some white/yellow potato in foil, dig a hole in the dirt a little bit dipper than fire it self. Put the potato in the hole cover it with soil start the fire above it. When fire is finished you will have most amazing baked potato ever.

Last edited:
For 2 nights, it's easy. Make a couple of meals ahead and freeze them, pack well in a cooler and they will be fine. Back in my kayaking days, we did a week long trip on the Middle Fork of the Salmon River in Idaho, and each person was in charge of one evening meal. I made a big pot of chili, froze it in Seal-a Meal bags (Ziplock bags would work fine), and when we had it about 5 days into the trip and it was still frozen - had to be taken out of the cooler at noon and set out in the sun on the support raft to thaw. Served with chopped onion, cheese, and tortillas it was good hearty meal. We even had steak about 3 days into the trip.

For those long trips we packed the frozen foods in dry ice, but for two days that wouldn't be necessary. Just a plastic jug or two of frozen water would keep the cooler cold for a two day trip.

PRE COOKED MEATLOAF !! There's nothing like it. That's the one thing I took to start off every camping trip we ever took.With some bread and mayo, it can take you to thru the first night of setting up camp, and even for lunch the next day until you are ready to cook the second night. There's nothing in the wold like meatloaf brought from home on a camping trip.

Have fun!

I can't think of anything to add to the great suggestions that have been posted here, other than how much I miss camping....and fishing....and how everything tastes better cooked and eaten over an open flame in the outdoors! :ohmy: :yum: Have fun!

Kayelle, we used to always take precooked and sliced meatloaf on our camping trips! Great with fried eggs in the morning, too. :)

I can't think of anything to add to the great suggestions that have been posted here, other than how much I miss camping....and fishing....and how everything tastes better cooked and eaten over an open flame in the outdoors! :ohmy: :yum: Have fun!

Kayelle, we used to always take precooked and sliced meatloaf on our camping trips! Great with fried eggs in the morning, too. :)

Ohhh you're so right Cheryl, when life was as simple as a big meatloaf and camping with a young family.

PRE COOKED MEATLOAF !! There's nothing like it. That's the one thing I took to start off every camping trip we ever took.With some bread and mayo, it can take you to thru the first night of setting up camp, and even for lunch the next day until you are ready to cook the second night. There's nothing in the wold like meatloaf brought from home on a camping trip.

Have fun!

Spike and I were talking tonight about how great meatloaf sandwiches are. There is this sleazy, dirty greasy spoon diner near South Station in Boston. Everyone who worked at KeyBank used to go there for lunch every day. They served the best meals. Pork chops that had a nice rim of fat around the edges. Mashed potatoes with lumps in them, and meatloaf to die for. Cheap! And they had some of the kookiest hippy looking waitresses. :angel:

In the Boy Scouts we used to do 30 mile hikes over a weekend. One lunch we had underwood deviled ham on some sliced up french bread, gawd it was good.

Homemade beef stew if you know how to make it. Canned if you don't. What's a camp out without beef stew I ask you?

Last edited:
In the Boy Scouts we used to do 30 mile hikes over a weekend. One lunch we had underwood deviled ham on some sliced up french bread, gawd it was good.

Homemade beef stew if you know how to make it. Canned if you don't. What's a camp out without beef stew I ask you?

I always think of the movie Sling Blade when someone mentions potted meat! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It always amazes me the things kids will eat and do when they are out in a situation like your camping trip. It's fun to watch them make a breathless report to an amazed mom when they get back home!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom