Meal Photos - Your favorites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i mostly have pics of things while they're still cooking, or are right off the grill. not many money shots on the plate.

a couple for timothy, to start:

sushi deluxe platter
img_1033168_0_e8fc40bc0f0c783e6f7b846b4b0c1014.jpg

made here
img_1033168_1_cb424523b8aed03a968569a32c35366d.jpg

some turkey meatballs and pastas

img_1033168_2_c6bd544d49582fed1cc47dcd7b0551d0.jpg

img_1033168_3_d0d22bbcda5eb8800331cfa96d335be9.jpg

chicken parm and shells
img_1033168_4_606ecfe87d6c21ab6b1da34c2aeeaefc.jpg

one of dw's healthy dinners. broiled salmon, steamed stringbeans, nuked sweet potato
img_1033168_5_023782e4ca7525aa700568b21cbd6f27.jpg

mama's fried chicken
img_1033168_6_f107446e236518333f060f060196d71f.jpg

more pics later. :)

thanks timothy. i knew you'd like that. the pics of the godzilla roll, spider roll, and salmon skin temaki didn't turn out that good, but that's my usual order.

dw eats the fancy maki and a salad, and my boy and i each get a salmon skin temaki. then he gets teryaki.

you know bolas, now that you say that i looked back and realized that you can tell that my wife made the meatballs in the first pic (smaller hands), and i made the ones in the second.
i learned to make my meatballs from grandmothers of italian american friends, and they taught me that they should be almost baseball sized so they stay tender no matter how short or long they're cooked.

and the old gals had big, brick layer hands so who was i to argue. :ermm:

AND they are ALWAYS browned in olive oil first. never added to the sauce raw.

Last edited:
I have broken bread all over the world, I have eaten fantastic meals in homes and restaurants with some very interesting people.
These pics you may have seen before are from our visit to my wifes family, she had not visited in 30 yrs, my Serbian M in Law and Croatian F in Law had arrived 1 hour before, they traveled from Split by the night train.
I am proud to call these people my family, they have nothing but want to give you everything wrapped up in love. I was and still am overwhelmed by their family spirit, the five houses contained 4 generations, the respect they have for the elderly is was inspiring, this was the first sitting.garden & BBQ 233.jpg

garden & BBQ 241.jpg

Tom mate my Ma in law has those hands, she is known by the name Baba Vulka (mother wolf) her word is final,croatia 2010 075.jpg she makes the best Sarma

bolas, your description and pics make me want to be part of your family.

btw, who's the guy in the baseball cap on the right?

Thank you Tom and you would be welcome, the guy in the bbhat is my bald brother in Law, my father in law Tommo is sitting next to my wife.
Tommo is a retired Submarine officer and a very fearless man, at the height of the war between Serbia and Croatia because they could not communicate with the family in the picture, Tommo just left Split (where they had fled to after the Serb tanks shelled and captured Drnis) and made his way to visit them, if he had been caught in Serbia he would have suffered a fate worse than death.
He made it home after 10 days, he had told Zagorka he was going to buy a paper:)

Wow. Do you eat all that sushi in one sitting, Tom? That looks like a lot of food!
I just heard of a sushi/sashimi place opening up about 40 minutes from me. I wonder if they have take out, so I could put some on ice and take it home... hmmm...

thanks timothy. i knew you'd like that. the pics of the godzilla roll, spider roll,
:ermm: Umm, there's not actually spiders in that right? /hope If so, please just lie and say that there's not.

Also, I have a question about the sushi in the pic you posted. What is the butterfly pupa looking thing that's covered in sesame seeds? :bounce:And what are the bright pink things that kinda look like someone's tongue?

I still haven't tried sushi yet. One of the local restaurants makes it but I'm such a flippin' chicken sometimes. Although I've tried nori. I don't really get it. It reminds me of fish slime flavored construction paper. Eventually I'm going to have to climb out of my chicken suit I suppose. :chicken: Everything else you posted looks really yummy though.

@ Bolas, dude! I love how happy everyone looks in that photo! They look like a fun and loving crew. :):)

@ MsMofit, you're pics are gorgeous! Love them. You really know how to set up a plate. :chef:

Bolas, it makes me feel so good to see a large family that is so tight together and loving as a family! I can see the joy in each of their faces.

Your food is always so wonderful looking! The magazines use tricks to make thier food look good. You do it with real food and no tricks other than those that make up your vast culinary knowledge.

Thanks for your posts!

pacanis, depending on the person, the quantity of sushi eaten depends on appetite, but as a 204 pound man, when very hungry, I eat about 20 pieces of sushi in a sitting. Small rolls are usually 6 bites and large rolls maybe 8 bites. Most other pieces are very large bites.

Sushi is made to be consumed in one big bite! The ingredients are balanced to produce a blend of flavors that are very precise and must all be in your mouth at once to enjoy the intended outcome!

P.A. G., Nori is meant to compliment other ingredients. Eating it plain is like eating plain mustard. It might be the best mustard in the world, but with nothing but mustard in your mouth, it would be a bit overwhelming and not do what it is intended to do. The same is with nori.

When you first try sushi, you might want to try; California roll, spicy tuna roll, tuna nigiri and salmon nigiri. They are the best for new sushi eaters to try. After you become more accustomed to sushi, then branch out and try new things that are more adventuristic! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Thank you pag.

:ermm: Umm, there's not actually spiders in that right? /hope If so, please just lie and say that there's not.

Also, I have a question about the sushi in the pic you posted. What is the butterfly pupa looking thing that's covered in sesame seeds? :bounce:And what are the bright pink things that kinda look like someone's tongue?

I still haven't tried sushi yet. One of the local restaurants makes it but I'm such a flippin' chicken sometimes. Although I've tried nori. I don't really get it. It reminds me of fish slime flavored construction paper. Eventually I'm going to have to climb out of my chicken suit I suppose. :chicken: Everything else you posted looks really yummy though.

@ Bolas, dude! I love how happy everyone looks in that photo! They look like a fun and loving crew. :):)

@ MsMofit, you're pics are gorgeous! Love them. You really know how to set up a plate. :chef:

MsMofet, if any 6 of your dishes were put in front of me I would murder them.
What is the recipe for the sausage bread please:)

Back
Top Bottom