Measure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
If my recipe calls for 1, 4oz can of ***** spice........

These are... Pepper, Garlic Salt, Chilli Powder, etc.

Is that Fluid Oz's ?

I just realized my spices are in small plastic bottles and only list weight...

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

ps. this recipe is for a large pot of BBQ sauce that I'm trying to 1/3.

No, Eric, that's not fluid ounces because these spices are "dry." If you have an electronic scale and can weigh your ingredients, it will be easy to measure.

Otherwise, most containers in the market have the weight listed on them. That should help, too, if you don't use a scale.

I cook with a scale and wouldn't be without it.

That's what I was afraid of...

yet it's odd that the recipe says...

"I chose the term 4oz can because that is the most common can of spice"

I think what the author means is the red and white "can" of spice that we all had when I was a child. McCormicks I think.

so I picked up a "can" of Pepper at the store, and it said 4oz. and I figured that meant 1 full rectangular can...

or maybe the author means, the contents of a rectangular can of spice , no matter what the weight, as obviously Ground Pepper and Garlic salt would be much different...

I don't think I can attach "links" yet,

but if you Google Shack Secret famous Bbq sauce, that's the recipe I'm trying to make.

Thanks, Eric.

Okay, Eric. I Googled the recipe and you can use the amounts in weight with the "red and white" cans of spice.

Follow the recipe and play with it to suit your taste. There are as many barbecue sauce recipes as there are people. Just find the one you like.

I just read it, it does actually call for 1 4oz can of chili powder, 1 4oz can of black pepper, and 1 4oz can of garlic salt. Sure seems like a lot to me as well until I read how much wet ingredients they used: 3 24oz bottles of ketchup plus 3 24oz bottles of water plus anywhere from a pint to a quart of vinegar. That is an awful lot it seems to me.
Here is the link if you want to look it up and see for yourself:
SHACK Secret Famous Barbeque (BBQ) Sauce (Vinegar Based Recipe)

McCormick used to sell their spices in 4 ounce cans. Could you purchase the amounts necessary in whatever container is currenty available? It shouldn't be difficult to find that amount of those spices.

It says in the Recipe "this sounds like a Lot of pepper, but don't worry!"

Ha Ha , the web site is interesting, and I'm going to try it...

But I am trying to cut the recipe to 1/3.. as it calls for 3- 24oz bottles Ketchup, and if it's no good, I don't want to waste all that Ketchup,

So I'm trying to figure out , What is 1/3 of a "4oz can of Ground Pepper", and 1/3 of a 4oz can of Garlic Salt, and 1/3 of a 4oz can of Chili Powder...

Ha Ha, I hope it's good!
Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

It says in the Recipe "this sounds like a Lot of pepper, but don't worry!"

Ha Ha , the web site is interesting, and I'm going to try it...

But I am trying to cut the recipe to 1/3.. as it calls for 3- 24oz bottles Ketchup, and if it's no good, I don't want to waste all that Ketchup,

So I'm trying to figure out , What is 1/3 of a "4oz can of Ground Pepper", and 1/3 of a 4oz can of Garlic Salt, and 1/3 of a 4oz can of Chili Powder...

Ha Ha, I hope it's good!
Thanks, Eric, Austin Tx.

Can't help you with exact measurements, but if you divide into quarters and add a little more, you should have approximately 1/3 of the measurement.

But, wouldn't it be better to divide the recipe in half? If you have leftover sauce, you can always put it in the freezer.

I'm assuming you don;t have a scale.

Measure the contents of the tin in tablespoons. It's easier to divide by three that way. There are three teaspoons in a tablespoon.

Spent some time in the spice isle of the grocery this morning and

It does appear that all the spices are sold "net wt."

The 4oz can of McCormic pepper is 4oz net wt.

note... the only spice sold at my market in the Square can is McCormic Ground pepper... so if you're after Garlic Salt or others they will be in little jars...

so measured by weight the oz's of spices for the BBQ sauce..

It's simmering now, more later....

Thanks All!

Eric, Austin Tx.

All packaged foods are sold "net weight" which means the weight of the product. So 4 oz, net weight means just the spice. Gross weight includes the weight of the container.

Have you considered making 1/4 instead of 1/3? That way, you would use 18 fl. oz of ketchup and water, 1 cup vinegar, 1 oz (1/2 Tbsp) of each of the spices and the Tabasco. I would go with the BTW for the mustard because I have no idea about the apple thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom