Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boufa06 said:
JDP, in your opinion, would cooking be possible if there were no measuring cups?

Boufa in my world measuring cups didn't exist except for a carrying water to use on our house house plants, until this Fall. Then I discovered a joy in baking bread so I use them for that purpose as well as making rice. I was trying to answer the question in a simple way as it seemed everyone was trying to make it too complicated. :wacko: If you are ever in Wisconsin or if I make it to Greece (which would be better) we could sit down and drink 5/8 of a cup of ouzo together... or maybe more.

JDP

JDP said:
Boufa in my world measuring cups didn't exist except for a carrying water to use on our house house plants, until this Fall. Then I discovered a joy in baking bread so I use them for that purpose as well as making rice. I was trying to answer the question in a simple way as it seemed everyone was trying to make it too complicated. :wacko: If you are ever in Wisconsin or if I make it to Greece (which would be better) we could sit down and drink 5/8 of a cup of ouzo together... or maybe more. JDP
JDP, you are on!!:clap::clap: Happy New Year!

boufa06 said:
JDP, in your opinion, would cooking be possible if there were no measuring cups?

This question surprises me coming from you, Boufa!

Out of curiousity, ask ten of your immediate neighbors in Volos. Do ANY of them own measuring cups? Then ask them if they own a scale.

I'll bet you a week's salary (don't get too excited ... that doesn't add up to much) that almost none own the former while almost all own the latter ... unless Volos is mighty different from Athens.

And yet ... they ALL cook, don't they?!

It is common sense to measure by some method. How can you pay for something that has not been appraised. Do you just assume you were sold a pound of butter or that all big containers are a gallon. My handful of packed brown sugar measures 1/4 cup; how much does yours measure?

StirBlue said:
It is common sense to measure by some method. How can you pay for something that has not been appraised. Do you just assume you were sold a pound of butter or that all big containers are a gallon. My handful of packed brown sugar measures 1/4 cup; how much does yours measure?

Is this in response to a specific post??

After you guys and gals finish the ouzo....all will know the diffrence between
5/8 cup 10 tablespoons 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons. Have fun...but try to measure CLOSE.

Aria said:
5/8 cup 10 tablespoons 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons. Have fun...but try to measure CLOSE.

...and 30 teaspoons

I discovered a while back that my Anchor Hocking 1 cup measure, measures almost 9 ounces of water.
:wacko:
If it's important I weigh it.

Okay...and join JDP boufa06 Ayrton Stir Blue and sample the ouzo.

Ya know what? I think we've all gone over the top. Like an ounce over 8 ounces with this "measure" thing. What started out as something really, really simple became way too complex. Someone, please pass me the ouzo!!!

Aria said:
Gee, I ws only going to estimate. But have no fear, I am not likely to underestimate!;)

Now remember, I KNOW if you're dealing with recipes which use volume measurement it's not an easy switch over to weight (but it's also not impossible ...) but I can't help but think after all the above posts how incredibly much NONE of this is an issue with weight measurement!

Halving a recipe and you end up with 5/16th's? A pain in the neck for sure. But halving a recipe and ending up with 315 grams? No more difficult to measure than the original 630 would have been, and, no more difficult to calculate for that matter.

Once you go metric you never go back?

In the often repeated words of Alton Brown, "A pint's a pound the world around." In the kitchen, conversion from volume to weight isn't all that hard. I agree with Ayrton. Now that I have scaled my bread recipes down into metric units, I will never go back.

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
In the often repeated words of Alton Brown, "A pint's a pound the world around."...

Yes, but...

Be careful what you apply this to. It works well with water based liquids, not so well with dry goods. e.g. a pint of flour is closer to a half pound.

Back
Top Bottom