Measurements

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
goodgiver said:
How does person 5/8 ounces a cup of liquid. None of my measuring cups have 5/8 on them Please help.
goodgiver, 5/8 of anything is just 1/8 more than 4/8 which is 1/2 of it. I am sure your cup has a 1/2 mark. So fill it to the mark and then eyeball the remaining 1/8 (ie a little bit more) rather than resorting to higher mathematics.

If the measuring cup has flared sides, sometimes it's hard to eyeball.

If the recipe demands an exact measurement, IMO you are better off measuring out 1/2 cup and then adding 2T like katie suggested.

jennyema said:
If the measuring cup has flared sides, sometimes it's hard to eyeball.

If the recipe demands an exact measurement, IMO you are better off measuring out 1/2 cup and then adding 2T like katie suggested.
Most measuring cups have flared sides anyway. Nevertheless this should not be an obstacle to anyone who wants to sharpen their capacity of estimating. As for the assumed exactitude of any recipe, I would take it with a big grain of salt.

My glass measuring cups have flared sides AND hash marks for each fluid ounce. So I can measure liquids by eighths. When I suggested earlier that you fill half way between 1/2 and 3/4, I was not suggesting estimating but using the hash marks between those two measures.

Andy, you mean you wouldn't be able to estimate if there was not any hash marks for the amount you want to measure:question:

boufa06 said:
Andy, you mean you wouldn't be able to estimate if there was not any hash marks for the amount you want to measure:question:

No. I meant that you don't have to extimate. There is a 5/8 hash mark.

If there was no hash mark, I wouldn't hesitate to estimate. I can't imagine you could screw up a recipe by being off a little.

I bought a cheap set of plastic measuring cups - they were literally like 99 cents, and they include a 1/8 measurement. It actually comes in handy sometimes!

Sararwelch said:
I bought a cheap set of plastic measuring cups - they were literally like 99 cents, and they include a 1/8 measurement. It actually comes in handy sometimes!
Good for you Sararwelch! Now look around to see if you can find one with subdivisions of 1/16.;)

What you are looking for is 5 oz. Many measurting cups have oz marks as well as cup marks.

JDP

Coffee measures are also 1/8 cup measures. The flat bottomed ones, not the pointy bottomed ones.

I bought a reasonably priced set of Rubbermaid measuring cups including 1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2, 1/3. 1/4. Each of these cups has a crease around the "middle" which indicates the halfway point of each measure. As a result, the 1 cup can also measure 1/2, the 3/4 also measure 3/8, the 2/3 does 1/3, the 1/2 does 1/4 and the 1/3 does 1/6. Everything else gets estimated or "spooned"

goodgiver said:
How does person 5/8 ounces a cup of liquid. None of my measuring cups have 5/8 on them Please help.

After rereading you post do you want 5/8 of an oz or 5/8's of a cup? If it's 5/8 of and oz you need 1T plus 1/16 of a T. I have to go soak my head now.

JDP

OK, I just have the old fashioned measuring cups.

But no need to estimate, although I think you could do it just fine.

Take a ruler and measure the difference between the half and three quarter mark and put a dot on the outside of the cup with a Sharpie or whatever halfway between. You have an accurate measurement for cooking.

Or sans ruler, take a piece of paper and put one edge on the one half cup mark and mark a line at the three quarter level. Cut the paper, fold in half, and that will tell you how much more to add.

Got a couple of more ways, but the simplest is just to fill to 1/2 cup and add two tablespoons ( or six teaspoons).

But heck, I would just eyeball it.

JDP said:
What you are looking for is 5 oz. Many measurting cups have oz marks as well as cup marks. JDP
JDP, in your opinion, would cooking be possible if there were no measuring cups?

Measure? I don't usually measure.

Then again, I don't usually bake either.

Regular cooking doesn't necessarily require measuring. Baking, on the other hand, demands it!

Back
Top Bottom