Meat and fruit combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
What Fruit And Meat Seem To Compliment Each Other...
I Seem To Like Pineapple And Ham... Now To Get All Friends Here At Dc Opinion... What Meat Fruit Combo Do You Choose....?

Pork and apples, chicken and citrus, beef and tomaotes, turkey and peaches, ham and melon, rabbit and apricots....for starters.

Cheech said:
I like Prosciutto (an Italian ham) with melon ( either honeydew or cantelope).
So do, it's also wonderful with ripe figs and optionally things like basil, parmesan shavings and/or honey.

I adore peaches and pork (like pork loin) together, same with apples, pears, quinces and orange with pork.

Actually I really like mixing sweet and savoury so I'd be up for most any fruit & meat combo. Raspberry sauce on chicken or turkey is really awesome, especially if it's got a bit of a chilli kick to it :)

Piccolina said:
So do, it's also wonderful with ripe figs and optionally things like basil, parmesan shavings and/or honey.

I adore peaches and pork (like pork loin) together, same with apples, pears, quinces and orange with pork.

Actually I really like mixing sweet and savoury so I'd be up for most any fruit & meat combo. Raspberry sauce on chicken or turkey is really awesome, especially if it's got a bit of a chilli kick to it :)

picc, we definitely have the same tastebuds. pork and peaches is incredible together, and a spicy raspberry topping for chicken breasts is awesome.
i guess the moisture and sweetness of the fruit really compliments otherwise lean/dry meats.

Now wait a minute! How many of the aforementioned items are truly fruit? Mushrooms a fruit? I don't think so.

Frankly, I'm not a big fan of fruit and meat, except lemon and seafood. That's mainly because I've not experienced fruit and meat combined, and in my mind they do not go together. I'm sure if I had some of the great culinary minds here prepare a meat and fruit meal, I'd eat it and confidently like it. Alas, I've not had it, and my mind doesn't think they go together.

buckytom said:
picc, we definitely have the same tastebuds. pork and peaches is incredible together, and a spicy raspberry topping for chicken breasts is awesome.
i guess the moisture and sweetness of the fruit really compliments otherwise lean/dry meats.
So true. the natural juices from the fruit do seem to baste or replenish the lost moisture from drier cuts of meat so well. Since my first post I remembered the fab combo of pomegranates and beef, do you like this one too, Bucky? :chef:

hmmmm, i don't think i've had that one picc. i like pomegranates, but they're a lot of work. i wonder how you would prepare them with beef?

buckytom said:
hmmmm, i don't think i've had that one picc. i like pomegranates, but they're a lot of work. i wonder how you would prepare them with beef?
You're right there, they are a fair bit of work...but if you can pick it up in a Middle Eastern shop (or specialty food store) pomegranate syrup is wondeful. It's like a thick, fruity molasses type of sauce that is really nice in stir-fries. Just a dab will do you though, mixed through stir fried veggies (carrots, bok choi and snow peas are nice) with garlic (or other seasonings), some stock or water to help make a sauce and strips of beef which you serve over glass noodles :)

I haven't tried it, but I think this beef recipe that calls for pomegranate juice looks tasty: Brisket with Pomegranates and Onion Confit

I am not a huge meat and fruit combo fan, but on accasion I do enjoy it. The Prosciutto and melon I really do like. Fish and lemon I love as well. I also enjoy raisens with some meats like pot roast.

Back
Top Bottom