Meat cooking times question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

River City Smokehouse

Assistant Cook
I am developing a program for cooks of all levels to use that will keep track of multiple meats at one time while cooking. This program will be made available to all at NO COST when completed. I am in need of some information though and thought this might be a good place to get some insight.
I am looking for cooking time in minutes/lb. for the following:
Chicken, whole
Chicken Breast
Chicken Thigh
Beef Brisket, flat
Pork Spare ribs
Pork Baby Back ribs
Pork Butt
Meatloaf
I am looking for the times at the following different temps. 250,300,325,350*F.
I know this is a very large question, so if you know a piece of this, please respond to what you know. Some info I know but I don't know it all, and if I had to test each one, I'd have a large grocery bill this month. So for now I'm relying on the expertise of some of you great chefs out here.
Thank you!
~Jim:chef:

I'm certainly no great chef, so I'm not gonna say a thing, but I'd love to see some of your times on what you do know. Sorta get the ball rolling.....

Cooking by time almost never works right because there are so many different variables. Cooking by temperature is really the only way to get consistent results.

Cooking by temp. is what I do too. This is only to give approximates. I did 9 turkeys for Thanksgiving and tested this. 2 out of 9 was on the money. I know what you are saying.
For example:
Beef Brisket at 250*F cooked at approximately 1.5 hrs. per lb.
Internal temp reached was 195*F.
I know there are many variables that are in play here such as internal temp of the meat in the beginning....(will take longer for a 36*F than a 40*F) but not much. We can still get an approx.

OK as long as you are only looking for approx then I am sure you will get plenty of good responses here.

9 turkeys, WOW! Were you cooking for a shelter or something or do you just have a VERY large family ;)

I was cooking two turkeys for myself and more for others who knew I was cooking. I cooked seven more for them. I offered my family and my cooker to the soup kitchen locally and they said they had enough help and so I cooked here at home. I have a Fast Eddy FEC750 SS. It is a wood pellet cooker that will hold 700+ of meat. This unit will hold 60 turkeys @ 12 lbs. each at full capacity.
img_511921_0_092adee5e971cc433da9fb9af057d602.jpg

img_511921_1_d3b2a5f04a4c3cdef790a8dbfb5216fd.jpg

Actually I mostly cook in KCBS competitions. I do some private catering already. I am kicking around the idea of full-time catering and would like to have a restaurant but that takes a lot of money too.

With the cooking capacity of the cooker you certainly have the potential to do either. I was just thinking with a temperature probe, cooking times wouldn't be much of an issue due to the fact the cooker will shut down and go into warm mode when the desired temperature of the meat is reached. To your original question, as to approximate cooking times, I would keep a detailed log book of your cook times to build a history of your cooker with various meats. I hope I'm making sense!:LOL:

When I was working I wish I had your cooker, From Halloween till New Years day one year I cooked and served 530 turkeys, I was the banquet chef in a large hotel
I have never liked turkey since, Stick to catering, owning a restaurant is for the criminally insane. I know I owned one.

Back
Top Bottom