Meat/Grilling Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithtopia

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone, I am still pretty new to cooking and have really been loving it, i can barely eat fast food anymore, which is pretty amazing for me. I have really fallen in love with grilling.

And with that comes a question that has been confusing me. It is ok to buy larger cuts of meat and then cut it myself before marinading or rubbing? I dont have the patience to cook a tritip for 2 hours on low heat, i want it done in a few minutes, so basically, can i buy a tritip, slice it, then grill? Am i really losing all the juices like some websites say?

Another question, whats the easiest way to sautee onions? I love onions on my steak.
One more, steak butter, ive never had it, but im interested, any ideas?

When I am grilling I saute my onions on the grill using a Cast Iron skillet and butter.

I've never cooked a tri-tip, I usually grill NY Strip or Porterhouse or flank steak for making fajitas.

Being the expert griller that I am...cough cough....i'll just stick with the steak-butter question :).

I like to saute 2 TBSP of fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme) and about 5 big cloves of garlic in a pan. Be careful not to burn the garlic...it happens in a twinkling of an eye. Then add it to a pound of softened butter, some fresh ground pepper, and fresh lemon juice from a 1/2 lemon. Refrigerate. Lasts up to a month.

If you aren't already, you should try growing your own rosemary and thyme...they're hardy and my rosemary is perennial here in NC. Must haves for any cook. Cheers

Ditto, Molly! I just made some easy butter w/minced raw garlic, cayenne, blk pepper, k.salt, paprika. Great on steaks.

I do the same as Dave on the onions, but usually add bacon or bacon grease. It's good for the heart......Dr.'s boat pymt.

I've only made tri-tip a few times. I always made them whole, smoked for hrs until internal temp hit 135-140. Tri-tip is a tough cut w/great taste so ya gotta watch not to over cook into what I use for my boots.;):D BTDT.:rolleyes:

Take the time, sear then opposite hot coals. What you don't eat can be vac sealed and saved for a quick meal. Fill the grill that way you have plenty of leftovers to save. Grab a beer, sit in the shade, grill and make fun of the neighbors. :D

Cutting up larger cuts of raw meat before cooking is not an issue at all. Cutting into cooked or partially cooked meat is an issue. That's when the juices run out.

So cut your tri-tip into smaller portions and cook them individually. Use an instant read thermometer to ensure proper doneness, don't cut it open to see if it's done.

Toaster Ovens

Hey, let us know what you do and how it worked. Putting your meat under the broiler is a good way to cook it. And, if you have a toaster oven, then that is more economical than the full size oven. You can even have grill marks if you heat the broiling pan/rack before putting the meat on.

Hello everyone, I am still pretty new to cooking and have really been loving it, i can barely eat fast food anymore, which is pretty amazing for me. I have really fallen in love with grilling.

And with that comes a question that has been confusing me. It is ok to buy larger cuts of meat and then cut it myself before marinading or rubbing? I dont have the patience to cook a tritip for 2 hours on low heat, i want it done in a few minutes, so basically, can i buy a tritip, slice it, then grill? Am i really losing all the juices like some websites say?

Another question, whats the easiest way to sautee onions? I love onions on my steak.
Welcome to "falling in love" with cooking, which is an obsession for most of us on this forum.
If you've really 'fallen', then please allow me to point out that 'patience' is more than a virtue in cooking, it's a necessity.
As to your question about grilling meat in a few minutes, tri-tips are not usually considered the kind of cut you can do that way.
Three steak cuts that are good to grill quickly are flank, hanger and skirt steaks and all could benefit from tenderizing beforehand by using a meat mallet on them.
Tons of recipes on the various ways to do these steaks on the net.
Sauteing onions as easy as told to you here, cast iron skillet on the grill or just as easy on the stove.

Thanks for all the replys everyone, the butter recipe sounds amazing so ill defiantly be trying that.

I worded my question a little weird but i meant any meat, not just tri tips. i never cut them after they are cooked and have rested a bit. And as to that i think my question was pretty much answered. Its not only a question of patience but of my grill, im not currently working with a great grill, its getting a little dated and unfortunatly doesnt heat exactly evenly. So the big stuff if going to have to wait untill i finally get a better one.

And finally unfortunatly where i live a herb garden will never survive, however I buy fresh herbs from local stands and farmers markets as often as i can. Thanks again everyone

No, you won't lose juices cutting a piece of large meant into smaller pieces. Cut a hunk off to cook and freeze the rest unless you plan to eat it soon. The way meat looses juice is if you don't let it set after you cook
it. Let it set for 5 minutes so the juices settle back into the meat.

Sautee onions in butter or Extra Virgin Olive Oil on low heat. Cook the way
you like them.

Frank 2022

Thanks again for all the replies. I tried the butter recipe and it worked out great, i have been trimming my own meat as well and that's been working great as well. I still need a better grill, mine heats weird, but i make due. I also planted a herb garden, i made a box garden so my poor soil doesn't matter. Im currently growing rosemary, basil, oregano, italian parsely and i recently planted some cilantro which is just sprouting. Ive also started banching out from the grill and have been cooking other things as well. Thanks for all the support

Thanks again for all the replies. I tried the butter recipe and it worked out great, i have been trimming my own meat as well and that's been working great as well. I still need a better grill, mine heats weird, but i make due. I also planted a herb garden, i made a box garden so my poor soil doesn't matter. Im currently growing rosemary, basil, oregano, italian parsely and i recently planted some cilantro which is just sprouting. Ive also started banching out from the grill and have been cooking other things as well. Thanks for all the support

Way to go!!!!! Congratulations on the herb garden success too. :clap::clap:

Keith, I've been grilling whole Tri Tips for years and I don't know where you ever heard they should be cooked that long, unless you want a dried up hunk of beef not worth eating. I've never cooked mine for longer than 45min total for medium rare. After resting for at least 15 min, it needs to be cut against the grain in very thin slices, as thin as you can. For that reason, cutting into steaks before cooking isn't a good idea if you want tender eats. To me, there's nothing more wonderful than a whole Tri Tip on the grill.
By the way, does your barbecue have a lid? A lid is needed for Tri Tip.

It is way NOT OK to grill a tri-tip steak quickly. It will be tough. Tape the time to slowly grill a big tri-tip, and then have instant meals the next 5 days.

I have eaten plenty of tri-tip steaks that were not tough and were cooked like a regular steak.My FIL fed them to us almost every BBQ he held for a while.

They also sell them in the store pre-cut into steaks.

I do prefer a NY,Ribeye or Porterhouse though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom