"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-23-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
...So, yes, for the same reasons that Cook's Illustrated gave the Thermapen three stars (highest rating) in accuracy, speed, and functionality and gave it the only "highly recommended" rating in its June 2008 review, it's worth the extra bucks to me.

Of course, I think nothing of spending $200+ on a kitchen knife, so don't listen to me.
It's interesting that you should mention that, because it was a video from the C.I. test kitchen that recommends the CDN as the second preferred choice.

Of course, I think nothing of spending $100+ in aircraft fuel and rental car expense in order to save $8.00 on shipping cost!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
Head Chef

Well, actually the CDN was not part of CI's June 2008 review of instant-read thermometers. It included only these:
  • Comark PDT300 Thermometer
  • Cooper-Atkins Waterproof Digital Thermometer DPP400W
  • DeltaTRAK 11000 Thermometer
  • Fieldpiece SPK1 Thermometer
  • Maverick Redi-Chek Professional Chef's Digital Thermometer DT-01
  • Polder Instant-Read Thermometer 371
  • Taylor Classic Instant Read Thermometer 9840
  • Thermoworks RT-301 Thermometer
  • Thermoworks Super-Fast Thermapen 211-476
Three CDN products were included in CI's January 2008 review of meat-probe thermometers (these have a probe on a long wire that attaches to a unit that sits outside the oven). All three were rated "not recommended." Their oven thermometers and candy thermometers fared a bit better in other of CI's tests.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Don't argue with me... argue with them:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/vid...=y&docid=11781
Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #14
Head Chef

I didn't mean to argue -- I was just pointing out that the CDN wasn't in the June 2008 review. Apparently the video was made after that test. Still, I think the quicker read and larger display make the Thermapen -- which in the video is described as the test kitchen staff's first choice -- is the better of the two, if you can justify the price.

I've gone through several $20 instant-read thermometers over the past 30 years or so, and found them all to be less than satisfactory, so I decided to pop for the Thermapen. I'm happy with my choice.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

I saw the review on TV and they did recommend the CDN in my link above as the second choice. I have that thermometer and it works well.

No, it's not as fast but it's reliable. For most applications, you don't have to wait for the display to stop climbing. You can tell if you're in the ballpark or if you have to cook longer based on the speed and increments of the changes.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Another reason that has not been mentioned yet that I like the Thermapen over others is the size of the probe. It is significantly thinner than any other thermometer I have seen for kitchen use. You can stick a piece of meat multiple times and not be left with gaping holes that juice pours out of. That coupled with the accuracy, durability, and speed of response is worth every penny to me.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #17
Head Chef

I've said said this a number of times on this board, but it bears repeating. I put off buying the Thermapen for 3 years (at least) and wish I had not. It is, hands down, the best instant read thermometer I ever owned, and I've been through quite a few of the Taylor dial type and some of the cheaper digitals. I've had the Thermapen for maybe 4 or 5 years, and it has never let me down. Fast, accurate, and makes a relatively small hole in the food. Pricey? Yes. Worth it? Every penny.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Head Chef

Here's a stupid question:

Do you insert the meat thermometer before or after placing the meat in the oven?

I have a Taylor thermometer with a gigantic probe and big numbered dial. I used it only twice before and both times it proved useless as the temp showed too low and yet the meat was overdone already. Since there were no usage instructions, I wasn't sure whether to insert the probe before or after placing the meat in the oven. So I did both methods on two different occasions. Disastrous results both times.

Have not touched the thermometer nor roasted meats since then.

I'm about to toss the thermometer out.

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

It depends on the thermometer. A "probe" thermometer is designed to be placed n the meat before it is cooked. There is a thin wire that comes out of the probe and plugs into a readout that is outside the oven. This gives you a continuous read of the current temp. The other kind (which is probably what you have) will get ruined if you try that. That kind is designed to be stuck in the meat to read a final temp. It is not to be left in the meat.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It depends on the thermometer. A "probe" thermometer is designed to be placed n the meat before it is cooked. There is a thin wire that comes out of the probe and plugs into a readout that is outside the oven. This gives you a continuous read of the current temp. The other kind (which is probably what you have) will get ruined if you try that. That kind is designed to be stuck in the meat to read a final temp. It is not to be left in the meat.
Thanks for the reply GB.

Sorry, no wires with the one I have therefore it's not a probe type. My mistake. What I have looks like a gigantic nail. Funny there were absolutely no warnings about not placing inside oven nor instructions on the packaging.

So you mean with this 'nail' type, I still have to guess when to take the meat out of the oven, insert thermometer, then if not correct temp, either:
1) put back in the oven and repeat trial and error
or
2) masticate tough meat?