Meat Thermometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pistos

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had a slightly unfortunate experience grilling sausages for the first time. I was regularly checking the sausage with a meat thermometer, sticking it in lengthwise so that the sausage surrounded the whole thermometer shaft. At first it was around 100F, then eventually it got up to 150F, but only after around a half hour of grilling. I eventually left the thermometer in one of the sausages and checked every couple of minutes. The first few times I was seeing 155F, but then all of a sudden the thermometer was pegged past 180F! Needless to say, my sausages were past well-done.

I'm pretty sure I can't trust this meat thermometer. I want to get a new one, but I'd like some advice on getting one that is reliable. Any tips?

Pistos

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I had a slightly unfortunate experience grilling sausages for the first time. I was regularly checking the sausage with a meat thermometer, sticking it in lengthwise so that the sausage surrounded the whole thermometer shaft. At first it was around 100F, then eventually it got up to 150F, but only after around a half hour of grilling. I eventually left the thermometer in one of the sausages and checked every couple of minutes. The first few times I was seeing 155F, but then all of a sudden the thermometer was pegged past 180F! Needless to say, my sausages were past well-done.

I'm pretty sure I can't trust this meat thermometer. I want to get a new one, but I'd like some advice on getting one that is reliable. Any tips?

Pistos
Man on the tv the other day said grilling 8-10 minutes on both sides is enough although even that seems a bit excessive to me..

If they are nicely browned all round I think you are pretty safe without faffing about with a meat thermometer. I use one to make sure I don't over-cook a joint of meat but I wouldn't bother with something like sausages.

Man on the tv the other day said grilling 8-10 minutes on both sides is enough although even that seems a bit excessive to me..

If they are nicely browned all round I think you are pretty safe without faffing about with a meat thermometer. I use one to make sure I don't over-cook a joint of meat but I wouldn't bother with something like sausages.

Ditto. Experience should tell you when a sausage is done. You can always use the touch method. If you really don't trust our own judgment, then place them on a cooler side of the heat and let them cook slowly.

I am afraid these TV chefs have us taking a lot of steps in cooking that are a waste of time and effort. Next they will wanting us to use a thermometer for hot dogs. :angel:

I poke a hole in the sausage and if the juice is clear, with no hint of pink, they're done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom