Meatless Meals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are tons of good blogs I could point you toward. Are you looking for something specific?

The Greek Orthodox liturgical calendar has more meatless days than meat-eating days, so any good Greek cookbook (or website) will have a lot of meatless options. I did a chickpea and eggplant stew a few times that even my husband liked.

I foresee lots of beans, rice and pasta in my life for the next 40 days. :) If I make any dishes that are really good, I'll post them.

A couple of my favorites:

#1 - I roast veggies. Cut to about the same size the following:

Beets
Turnips
Mushrooms
Shallots
Broccoli
Grape Tomatoes
Asparagus
Edited - forgot the Cauliflower

Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher or gray salt. Roast turning once brown on the bottom. Toss with some penne pasta and drizzle more olive oil, kosher or gray salt.

You can marinate a portobella mushroom cap in olive oil and basil/rosemary/thyme/oregano/fresh garlic. Grill or simply bake and use this as a "plate" for your dish above.

#2 Pasta tossed with fresh tomatoes, water-packed mozzarella (cubed), fresh basil. Olive oil and kosher/gray salt. This one is nothing new, but, it sure is good!

I also like to take roasted red peppers and puree with a bit of vegetable stock - not too much though. A dash of soy sauce and sesame oil is good in this too. Toss with some brown rice - makes a nice side dish. I'm sure there are ways to make this a complete meal using some sort of bean and adding some cheese and finishing in the oven. Top with spring onions.

I have an amazing recipe for meatless Moussaka. If you love eggplant the way I do, you don't even notice there's no meat in it! :pig:

Fried potatoes with onion.. a side of colby cheese.

Baked potatoes with what ever topping you want.

Do eggs count.. one of my favorites.. fried potatoes with onions, green pepper, hot peppers, eggs and cheese all scrambled together.

Pastas a bazillion ways..

Spinach Lasagna....

Thousands of other dishes.. no meat.

My DH loves linguine cooked al dente then tossed into a large skillet that i have heated up evoo,red pepper flakes to our taste and rough chopped garlic..Just as I get ready to plate I toss in some halved graped tomatoes and if I have it either some fresh flat leaf parsley or fresh torn basil...A dusting of parmesan and your set. Just add bread and a salad.
kadesma

My DH loves linguine cooked al dente then tossed into a large skillet that i have heated up evoo,red pepper flakes to our taste and rough chopped garlic..Just as I get ready to plate I toss in some halved graped tomatoes and if I have it either some fresh flat leaf parsley or fresh torn basil...A dusting of parmesan and your set. Just add bread and a salad.
kadesma

Yum! :chef:

There are SO many things you can do with pasta, veggies and a bit of cheese! Only your imagination limits you.

Lentil Paella

Try this recipe. One of my lenten favorites.
Lentil Paella
1 cup green pepper (1 medium)
1 cup yellow sweet pepper ( 1 medium)
1 cup celery
1 medium onion
1 medium red onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 cup lentils, rinsed
1 3/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives
1/3 cup pitted ripe olives
1/4 cup snipped cilantro or parsley

• In a dutch oven cook first six ingredients in hot oil until the onion is tender but not brown.
  • Add lentils, vegetable broth and turmeric to the pepper mixture.​
  • Bring to a boil;reduce heat and simmer covered for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are tender and liquid is absorbed.​
  • Stir in tomatoes, peas, stuffed olives, ripe olives and cilantro. Heat through. Season to taste.​

Eggplant Parmesan is one of my favorites.

Stuffed zucchini is good, too. Hollow out the zucchini and chop up the scooped out part. Mix with chopped onion and garlic. Add some chopped canned tomatoes (drained) and some cooked brown or wild rice. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. Stuff into the zucchini boat top with cheese and bake until the zucchini is tender. Sometimes I saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil before mixing with the rest of the ingredients.

Yum! :chef:

There are SO many things you can do with pasta, veggies and a bit of cheese! Only your imagination limits you.

That is so true. We love pasta and there are times we have it several times a week.
kades

Vegetarian chili, Cornbread & salad

Cheese souffle, steamed veggies, grilled tomatoes & french bread

How about an onion & mushroom quiche?

Those suggestions are so refreshing not a single meat substitute among them.
We have meatless nights at least two times a weeks and I simply do a regular recipe and leave out the meat. Obviously this would not work with a meat loaf but I think you get the idea. Spaghetti, fried rice, tacos, stir fries, and more the list is endless just use your imagination and leave out the meat.

I make soup pretty frequently through Lent. Bean, vegetable, lentil......I'm Orthodox and we don't each meat or dairy through Lent.

Back
Top Bottom