"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-09-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
Master Chef

Microwave Herb Drying

Mr Dove got me thinking .... anyone know the formula for drying herbs in the microwave oven? I know that before the advent of microwaveable paper towels I had huge success doing it with sage .... until I had a microwave fire (oh, minor), so I know it required putting the herbs between two paper towels. Scared me off doing it for years. Now the towels are better, and I'm not sure I have the instructions for doing it any more. I know I liked the microwave method better than the others, and at this time where I live hanging (too humid) and using the oven (no a/c AND too humid) just don't appeal. I remember getting better color and flavor with the microwave also. I'd like to get some of this sage in now while it's at its prime. If no one knows, I'll experiment and let y'all know what I come up with.

Old 06-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
DC Grandma

OMG...I read Hair drying...LOL
Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Dove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 05:24 AM   #3
Master Chef

Now I've heard of using the microwave for a lot of weird things, but drying your hair, now that I want to see someone try. Maybe if it was a wig?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:17 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I don't know the formula for this - but I always chop up left-over fresh herbs and freeze them in a little water in ice-cube trays, that way you retain the freshness and can just pop one or two 'herb-cubes' into whatever you are cooking. After they have frozen, just pop out the ice cubes and transfer them to a labelled baggie. They keep well for about 3 months that way.

You can also freeze small amounts of cream this way (In fact you can buy packets of frozen 'cream-cubes' in England) - very convenient when you just need a small amount of cream in a sauce.

Paint.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Master Chef

Cream cubes--what a wonderful idea! They'd go to good use in my kitchen!

I always do my herbs in the oven--set the oven at the lowest temp possible (140 on mine), place freshly cleaned and dried herbs in a single layer on a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven. You need to check them often--each herb dries at a different rate and can singe if you forget about them (yes, I learned from experience! ). This is the easiest and fastest method I've found so far.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:20 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Hmm, my peppermint is really florishing this year. Perhaps I'll experiement a bit.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I recommend being careful with this as you can easily cook the herbs and ruin them.

We have excellent results by hanging them in a cool dry place where there is some air circulation. It takes longer but there's no hurry to dry herbs.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I asked my Mum - who dries the sage she grows in her garden. She ties the sage into loose bunches and just hangs them up to dry naturally. To stop them getting dusty she threads the string through the bottom of an old paper grocery bag (a sack lunch bag would work) so that the bag makes a sort of tent for the herbs inside.

Paint.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:25 AM   #9
Master Chef

I don't have A/C, so when I hang-dry herbs I often wind up with a mold ball. Sometimes I have success with it, but the summer months are quite humid here. The reason the regular oven doesn't appeal is that it heats up the kitchen, so I avoid it. I've had great success doing it in the microwave, just don't remember what I did!!! Is that ditzy or what? I'll be experimenting next week and will let you know.