Microwave Roux?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgt. Pepper

Assistant Cook
As a Kentucky born-and-bred "Cajun wannabe", I've been cooking Cajun food for 10 years or longer now. I've read many books about Cajun cooking, studied it in somewhat great detail, and have become quite good at cooking Cajun dishes (at least that's what they tell me). Anyway, I make my roux the old school way...flour and oil over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15-30 minutes. The result is almost always perfect. While surfing around today, I read on gumbopages.com that you can make a roux in the microwave, in a shorter time, and without all the stirring (even though Chuck Taggart scoffed at the idea). I know all you old schoolers are gonna say there is now way you can make a good roux in the microwave, but I was wondering if anyone has done it and what the results were? I'd like to hear pro or con reviews on this topic if you've tried it. Until then, I'll be standing over my stove, stirring my "Two beer roux" (as Mr. Bam Pow Ah Yeah Babe Kick It Up A Notch, calls it), sweating and trying not to splash the Cajun Napalm on my flesh! :D

I've heard of the microwave method. There is also an oven method for making roux.

If it works, it would be a great timesaver. Give it a try and do a side-by-side comparison test - sort of a cajun Pepsi challenge!

...and of course, let us all know how it works out!

Like I said in the other forum, roux has got to be stirred constantly - none of this 30 second interval garbage.

Are you looking to make a 'labor of love' or a 'labor of like?' :)

I'm getting a lot on this topic on another board. Click the link if interested.

Sorry Sgt. Pepper - link was removed - please feel free to post here and chat with us but the rules plainly state no links to other sites, sorry :-(

I'd have a hard time making a roux in the microwave too - it's the labor of love thing for me - but if you try it and post it here I'd be curious about your findings.

I know old thread but...

When I first heard about this I was sure it would not be as good. Well it is good. The taste will be of a darker roux than what you see so you want to stop a bit lighter than what you want. I am now sold on this method.

And I love not having to stand over a hot stove for a long time stirring like crazy.

How to make a Roux in the Microwave Oven - YouTube

I make roux in the mic sometimes for a quick thickener, but never for Cajun dishes. Then I will make the color roux needed for the dish I'm making at the time. I also make enough roux for the freezer too. When enough fat is available from cooked food such as pork (bacon), beef, etc., I'll make roux to flavor and thicken soups and gravy with the same flavor.

Like I said in the other forum, roux has got to be stirred constantly - none of this 30 second interval garbage.

Are you looking to make a 'labor of love' or a 'labor of like?' :)
Unless "roux" has some arcane meaning in Cajun cooking, I'm with Scott.

No, just checked. It means the same as any other roux in the basic method. To be honest, all that faffing about with the m/wave seems a lot more of a nuisance than doing it the "old-fashioned" way.

Last edited:
I know old thread but...

When I first heard about this I was sure it would not be as good. Well it is good. The taste will be of a darker roux than what you see so you want to stop a bit lighter than what you want. I am now sold on this method.

And I love not having to stand over a hot stove for a long time stirring like crazy.

How to make a Roux in the Microwave Oven - YouTube

I sure like this video ppo! I made my first ever roux for my Christmas gravy and it was the best gravy I've ever made without a doubt. It took a lot of time and a lot of non stop attention. I'll do your method next time since I don't have an emotional investment in proper roux protocol.:LOL:
Seriously, I wish someone would explain why a proper roux needs to be made on top of the stove? :ermm:

I sure like this video ppo! I made my first ever roux for my Christmas gravy and it was the best gravy I've ever made without a doubt. It took a lot of time and a lot of non stop attention. I'll do your method next time since I don't have an emotional investment in proper roux protocol.:LOL:
Seriously, I wish someone would explain why a proper roux needs to be made on top of the stove? :ermm:
Because the method works.

Incidentally, if it's the time spent stirring that bothers you, you can buy an automatic stirring device. Don't know if it works or if it's a gimmick

http://unikia.com/stirio.html?gclid=CIPN6pau-bsCFTHLtAodPU0A-A
or
http://www.amazon.co.uk/uutensil-st...d=1389554690&sr=8-1&keywords=automatic+stirer

Last edited:
The only thing that I can see wrong with making roux in the mic, is you loose the nutty flavor of the stove top method.

Unless "roux" has some arcane meaning in Cajun cooking, I'm with Scott.

No, just checked. It means the same as any other roux in the basic method. To be honest, all that faffing about with the m/wave seems a lot more of a nuisance than doing it the "old-fashioned" way.

Roux has the same meaning in Cajun as French. In Cajun cooking darker roux are the norm.

Having done it the old fashion way for years and now trying the microwave way. I will take the microwave.

Because the method works.

Incidentally, if it's the time spent stirring that bothers you, you can buy an automatic stirrings device. Don't know if it works or if it's a gimmick

[/SIZE][/FONT]

The microwave method also works so it does not explain why people are stuck on the stove top method.

I have seen people use the automatic stirring devices and they were happy with them. One of the cajun cooks on youtube uses them. Says he can drink his two beers and make a roux at the same time.

The only thing that I can see wrong with making roux in the mic, is you loose the nutty flavor of the stove top method.

When I do it in the microwave it has plenty of nutty flavor. The roux that you see me make in this video actually tasted like a darker roux than what it looked like.

The last time I made a Cajun roux, I did it stove top in a CI pan. It had the best flavor development of any other method I've tried. I thought the fast roux method from Prudhomme was it, until I tried the long cook method. I am also not a fan of actually cooking in the microwave.

The last time I made a Cajun roux, I did it stove top in a CI pan. It had the best flavor development of any other method I've tried. I thought the fast roux method from Prudhomme was it, until I tried the long cook method. I am also not a fan of actually cooking in the microwave.

For the stove top method the long cook method is the best way. The fast cook way is a shortcut, but lets face it not everyone has that much time.

I would say the microwave method gives about the same results as the fast cook method.

ATK did some baked flour (done dry) and then added the fat when they were making a Cajun dish, although I can't remember what dish. It was their "method" for making a dark "penny" roux.

Back
Top Bottom