"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Microwave Roux?

As a Kentucky born-and-bred "Cajun wannabe", I've been cooking Cajun food for 10 years or longer now. I've read many books about Cajun cooking, studied it in somewhat great detail, and have become quite good at cooking Cajun dishes (at least that's what they tell me). Anyway, I make my roux the old school way...flour and oil over medium heat, stirring constantly for 15-30 minutes. The result is almost always perfect. While surfing around today, I read on gumbopages.com that you can make a roux in the microwave, in a shorter time, and without all the stirring (even though Chuck Taggart scoffed at the idea). I know all you old schoolers are gonna say there is now way you can make a good roux in the microwave, but I was wondering if anyone has done it and what the results were? I'd like to hear pro or con reviews on this topic if you've tried it. Until then, I'll be standing over my stove, stirring my "Two beer roux" (as Mr. Bam Pow Ah Yeah Babe Kick It Up A Notch, calls it), sweating and trying not to splash the Cajun Napalm on my flesh! :D

Old 01-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

never tried it, Sarge. I prefer to have the two beers!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:56 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I've heard of the microwave method. There is also an oven method for making roux.

If it works, it would be a great timesaver. Give it a try and do a side-by-side comparison test - sort of a cajun Pepsi challenge!

...and of course, let us all know how it works out!
Old 01-09-2005, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to pst1can
heh Sgt....I have never tried it but would be interested in any test results you muster up.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:32 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Like I said in the other forum, roux has got to be stirred constantly - none of this 30 second interval garbage.

Are you looking to make a 'labor of love' or a 'labor of like?' :)
Old 01-10-2005, 01:52 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
This thread bothers me...make your roux on the stove...trust me, you'll feel better about it.

Sorry if I angered anyone :roll:
Old 01-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

I'm getting a lot on this topic on another board. Click the link if interested.

Sorry Sgt. Pepper - link was removed - please feel free to post here and chat with us but the rules plainly state no links to other sites, sorry :-(

I'd have a hard time making a roux in the microwave too - it's the labor of love thing for me - but if you try it and post it here I'd be curious about your findings.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #8
Head Chef

I know old thread but...

When I first heard about this I was sure it would not be as good. Well it is good. The taste will be of a darker roux than what you see so you want to stop a bit lighter than what you want. I am now sold on this method.

And I love not having to stand over a hot stove for a long time stirring like crazy.

How to make a Roux in the Microwave Oven - YouTube
Old 01-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Head Chef

I make roux in the mic sometimes for a quick thickener, but never for Cajun dishes. Then I will make the color roux needed for the dish I'm making at the time. I also make enough roux for the freezer too. When enough fat is available from cooked food such as pork (bacon), beef, etc., I'll make roux to flavor and thicken soups and gravy with the same flavor.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
Like I said in the other forum, roux has got to be stirred constantly - none of this 30 second interval garbage.

Are you looking to make a 'labor of love' or a 'labor of like?' :)
Unless "roux" has some arcane meaning in Cajun cooking, I'm with Scott.

No, just checked. It means the same as any other roux in the basic method. To be honest, all that faffing about with the m/wave seems a lot more of a nuisance than doing it the "old-fashioned" way.