Microwaveable brown rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davemchine

Assistant Cook
On occasion I will finish cooking a meal only to discover I forgot the brown rice. Since it takes a long time to cook in the rice cooker I'm looking for a microwaveable option. Any favorite brands or methods you can suggest?

On occasion I will finish cooking a meal only to discover I forgot the brown rice. Since it takes a long time to cook in the rice cooker I'm looking for a microwaveable option. Any favorite brands or methods you can suggest?
Not sure about brown rice but I cook white rice in the m/wave.

1 coffee mug of rice to 2 coffee mugs boiling water in a large bowl. Cover with clingfilm (clear plastic wrap)and microwave for 10 minutes then let stand for about 3-4mins. Fluff with a fork and serve. Brown rice would take a bit longer, say 15-20 minutes, perhaps and may need more boiling water. If you use brown rice
regularly you'll know about times and proportion or brown rice to water.

You can also buy packets of microwaveable rice. The have already been cooked and only need 1-2 minutes in the m/wave. The only problem is that they are of varying quality of flavour. We have one make here which is a bit non-PC both in name and pictorially on the label (imho it should be called "Uncle Tom's Rice" if you catch my drift) which has a very odd "off" taste. The best I've had in the UK are Patak's and Tilda both of which taste more or less like the real McCoy. I don't know if they are available where you are.

Last edited:
I like Hinode the best of those types.
Tasty bite is awful, avoid like the plague.

They make great rice for fried rice instantly in single portions.

I have been cooking brown rice for over 40 years. I always cook more rice than I think I will need. I freeze it and microwave it when I want some. Before I had a microwave, I used to wrap single servings in waxed paper, freeze them, and store in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then I could take out however many servings I wanted and I would steam them. Steaming takes care of any freezer burn. ;)

The only thing is the price. I can buy a large box of rice for the price of one microwave rice packet. They are convenient tho.
I usually cook a batch of rice. I take out what I want to eat put it aside and cool the rest quickly in a sieve under the cold water tap. Drain well and freeze in manageable amounts. Don't leave it lying around out of the 'fridge or freezer and cool it very quickly otherwise you risk a nasty bout of food poisoning. Re-heat thoroughly in the m/wave.

Cheaper than the packet varieties and better tasting too. However, I do keep a packet or two of Tilda in the cupboard in case of an emergency.

Last edited:
I have been cooking brown rice for over 40 years. I always cook more rice than I think I will need. I freeze it and microwave it when I want some. Before I had a microwave, I used to wrap single servings in waxed paper, freeze them, and store in a plastic bag in the freezer. Then I could take out however many servings I wanted and I would steam them. Steaming takes care of any freezer burn. ;)

Sorry, Taxi, I didn't see your post before I posted mine. Great minds think alike!

For me, sodium content is the main problem with prepared packeted rice. It's usually sky-high and quite ruins the taste of the rice for me.

Thanks for the tip on microwaving rice, Mad Cook. I haven't tried this but will do.

Just for the sake of variation, I have been trying oven baked rice lately. I have had some pleasant successes and it cuts down on preparation involvement on my part. Must admit I haven't yet tried it with brown rice though.

For me, sodium content is the main problem with prepared packeted rice. It's usually sky-high and quite ruins the taste of the rice for me.

Thanks for the tip on microwaving rice, Mad Cook. I haven't tried this but will do.

Just for the sake of variation, I have been trying oven baked rice lately. I have had some pleasant successes and it cuts down on preparation involvement on my part. Must admit I haven't yet tried it with brown rice though.
you're very welcome

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom