"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-04-2007, 02:21 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by college_cook View Post
Certain foods with more delicate cell structures don't fare well in the microwave because the energy just destroys the food's cell structures, and nutrients along with them.
In that case the food would be a mushy pulp anyway, with the cell structure destroyed.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
How close would you have to be standing to the microwave for it to cause a negative reaction?
ROFLMAO: I think the poster meant that breast milk that has been pumped, bottled and reheated in the microwave loses it's nutrients.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
ROFLMAO: I think the poster meant that breast milk that has been pumped, bottled and reheated in the microwave loses it's nutrients.
It starts losing it's nutrients as soon as you remove it from the original container anyway.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

The reason you do not heat breast milk (or anything else for a baby) in a microwave is that that the heating can be uneven. In the case of breast milk, you would have warm milk with a pocket of hotter milk that could potentially burn the baby.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
The reason you do not heat breast milk (or anything else for a baby) in a microwave is that that the heating can be uneven. In the case of breast milk, you would have warm milk with a pocket of hotter milk that could potentially burn the baby.
I think it also kills vitamin c and also various antibodies present only in breast milk. Of course, this probably isn't due to microwave vs. any other form of heat. More that in the original container (thanks Caine), the milk is never warmer than body temperature and doesn't handle temps higher than that. Microwaving is faster so much easier to overheat.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 AM   #16
Master Chef

Although it has been mentioned, you must shake formula you heat in the microwave, otherwise you'll run into "hot spots" that could hurt baby. AND, this is something they might not teach young people, you always squirt the formula on the inside of your wrist to make sure it is the right temperature. But really shake it to make sure you don't scorch your baby's throat.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I've never microwaved breasts milk in the microwave before because of the concerns mentioned. More importantly the heat will destroy all the good stuff like vitamins, antibiotic etc. Seems like such a waste to nuke it just so it's warm for baby.

Actually if you trained baby well enough, he or she wouldn't mind drinking it at room temperature or even slightly cold.

I don't like microwaving stuff in containers. I've heard that they release toxins as it heats, seeping into the food.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady DeWinters View Post
I don't like microwaving stuff in containers. I've heard that they release toxins as it heats, seeping into the food.
It depends on the container. Certain plastics, and definitely styrofoam, should not be used in the microwave, but ceramic and glass containers are fine, and some plastics are designed to be used in the microwave.