"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you growing peppermint or spearmint? Peppermint is more commonly used for sweet dishes such as candies and ice creams while spearmint is used for savory dishes.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #22
Head Chef

I add mint to my juicer. Apple andd mint is delicious. Carrot, apple and celery (my most frequent juice) is also great with mint, as is any melon.

Old 08-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Are you growing peppermint or spearmint? Peppermint is more commonly used for sweet dishes such as candies and ice creams while spearmint is used for savory dishes.
Erm.. i dont even know whats growing! How could i tell the difference?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:15 PM   #24
Chief Eating Officer

Taste them. Spearmint will taste like Wrigley's Spearmint gum. Peppermint has a sharper bite to it than spearmint. Go to your local drug store and buy two tins of mints, one spearmint and the other peppermint and you will be able to tell the difference right away.
Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #25
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I had a LOT of mint this year also. Any my daughter always has to have the flavored mint varieties. We had chocolate, lemon, pineapple, sweet, and regular this year. She plucks them off and eats it constantly! But I would snip them at the base, and put them in vases of water with sprigs of lavender and place around the patio and sitting areas to repel bugs! Mint will live a long time as long as there is plenty of water! oh yeah, and it spreads!!!!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Taste them. Spearmint will taste like Wrigley's Spearmint gum.
Thank you, thats EXACTLY what it tastes like!
Old 08-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #27
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Mint Jelly (2)
2kg tart apples
3 cups strong mint water
2 cups white vinegar
sugar

To make mint water, steep 500g mint in 3 cups water overnight. Next day, chop apples and place in a pan, barely cover with water. Cover and simmer about 1 hour until apples are soft. Strain. Combine apple juice, mint water, and vinegar and strain again. Measure and place in a pan, adding cup for cup of sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to boiling and cook rapidly until the jelly will set. Bottle and seal. Serve with meat, especially lamb, or on toast, in sandwiches etc
I would like to make this. What are the U.S. measurement equivalents, anybody?

Daisy, do you process the jars of jelly in a hot water bath? Or not, and keep them in the fridge?

Lee
Old 08-26-2006, 10:58 PM   #28
Senior Cook

2kg is 4lb.

I never hot-water-bath any jellies, jams or pickles. It's an American thing to do that, and not necessary. Just put the boiling hot mixture into the jars, filling to the brim, put on the lids and leave to cool. As it cools, a vacuum forms inside the jar, giving the lid a hermetical seal. No need to refrigerate until the jar is opened.

Note: I always put an all-metal knife into the jar while it's being filled. That helps prevent the glass from shattering.

Americans don't feel comfortable with this, so they HWB our of habit. It's up to you.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #29
Head Chef

Okay, a few more questions, since I WILL make this and give it as gifts (I have a lot of spearmint) so I want to do a good job of it.

What's the U.S. equivalent of 500g of mint leaves?

You simmer the apples, then strain through, say a colander, and just save the juice, throwing away the flesh?

Then after you add the mint water and vinegar to the apple juice, you strain again through what? Cheesecloth?

Thanks, Daisy!

Lee
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 PM   #30
Senior Cook

500g is 1lb.

I'd strain out the apples through a fine mesh strainer to collect the juice. You don't want lumps in jelly.

For the next straining, use whatever you'd normally use for straining - a very fine mesh strainer, coffee filter paper, cheesecloth, old pantyhose. I use teabag paper from a roll (like a roll of kitchen paper), because I just happen to have it.