Mirliton, How do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would it make a good substitute for something like mashed potatoes or would you be able to replace some of the potatoes?

It doesn't have the starch that potatoes have. I think you could do it well if you keep the rest of the ingredients the same. I've used it mainly as a potato substitute in soups and stews where potatoes are not the focus of the dish.

I swiped this picture from Mollyanne's fantastic Food Art thread.

Isn't this a cute toothless Mirliton/Chayote??? :mrgreen:

img_976388_0_5eeb661261aba6ffce66ff657280489c.jpg

They must be a lot cheaper where you guys live. Here they are "exotic" and expensive. I can't be bothered.

It doesn't have the starch that potatoes have. I think you could do it well if you keep the rest of the ingredients the same. I've used it mainly as a potato substitute in soups and stews where potatoes are not the focus of the dish.

A GREAT substitute for mashed potatoes is mashed cauliflower. You just boil it or steam it until it is extremely tender than treat it like you would mashed potatoes, although I've found that I generally use less liquid for the mash, especially if I boil the cauliflower.

I like mashed cauliflower as much, if not more, than mashed potatoes. Honestly, I never thought any such words would come from me when I was younger....

I discovered this when Craig's brother came to live with us for a while after one of the hurricanes here in Florida trashed his house. He was a diabetic so I had to change the way I cooked somewhat.

Karen

Kathleen,

Picadillos are sauteed so you do need some sort of fat, usually butter or oil. Here's a link to a basic recipe: Picadillo de Chayote y Maiz (mirliton and corn)

Variations could include mixing a little achiote paste to the oil before adding the other ingredients, adding ground beef or chopped meat, adding milk, adding cilantro, etc. Picadillos, like our hashes, can include almost anything and seldom have a set recipe so you can be as creative as you wish.

Kathleen,

Picadillos are sauteed so you do need some sort of fat, usually butter or oil. Here's a link to a basic recipe: Picadillo de Chayote y Maiz (mirliton and corn)

Variations could include mixing a little achiote paste to the oil before adding the other ingredients, adding ground beef or chopped meat, adding milk, adding cilantro, etc. Picadillos, like our hashes, can include almost anything and seldom have a set recipe so you can be as creative as you wish.

That sounds great! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom