Mirliton, How do you use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I love to stuff them with seafood and make a moux choux with them, among other things.

Craig

Sorry, it is also called Chayote squash.

Craig

I'm embarrassed to say I've never had one; I've seen them at the store on occasion but have just never grabbed any because I wasn't sure what to do with them. Next time I see them I'm not passing them up!

I bought one once and julienned it and put in a stir fry. I had asked the green grocer for a suggestion. It was kind of bland, but nice texture.

Fair Warning! When you peel it, it will have a sensation to your fingers that some of you will not like at all, not at all. I usually try to arrange it so that Craig peels and preps it when we're cooking with it since it doesn't bother him. Don't get me wrong, I love it, especially in maque choux or as part of a shrimp/crawfish stuffing, but I hate prepping it. Can't really describe the feeling but if you don't like the sensation cornstarch gives, you won't like this either. Just letting you know so you won't think something is wrong with it or you.

Karen

I've never prepared anything with them, but have wanted to. By moux choux, do you mean maque choux? (I'm sure you don't mean moo shu :) as that wouldn't make sense, but I don't know what moux choux is.) That could be interesting as a maque choux. Can you provide a recipe, please?

I knew Chayote was called Mirliton, but wasn't making the connection until Jnate's post. Yes, I've used it a lot. I use much like I would use potatoes in dishes I want to cut the starch in. It is bland enough to do this.

I've never prepared anything with them, but have wanted to. By moux choux, do you mean maque choux? (I'm sure you don't mean moo shu :) as that wouldn't make sense, but I don't know what moux choux is.) That could be interesting as a maque choux. Can you provide a recipe, please?

My bad, spelling sometimes eludes me.:(

Craig

Every time I've been given some (when I lived in the south I was quite often), I just chopped or grated it and added it to whatever soup I was making at the time. It's flavor wasn't that strong and it blended right in.

Chayote is one of our most common vegetables in Costa Rica. One favorite method of preparation is in a picadillo, a sort of vegetable hash, which may also include ground or shredded beef or pork, but is usually made with just chopped chayote, onion and cut corn, with perhaps a little garlic and/or sweet pepper (bell pepper). Chayote is also excellent in salads (cooked, then chilled).

I like it cubed, add a cut up fresh tomato, small can of green chili's, salt and pepper, cover and simmer till tender and stir in some grated cheddar cheese.
Delish.

I like it cubed, add a cut up fresh tomato, small can of green chili's, salt and pepper, cover and simmer till tender and stir in some grated cheddar cheese.
Delish.

Sounds great, what do you call it? Any liquid?

Go to the line on green chili. Use this squash instead of zucchini. The mild flavor and green/white color should do just fine!

In the Philippines, they use it to make a soup called tinola which usually has chicken and some kind of greens in it like spinach. Green papaya is used in the same way (and I think is prefered over mirliton).

I knew Chayote was called Mirliton, but wasn't making the connection until Jnate's post. Yes, I've used it a lot. I use much like I would use potatoes in dishes I want to cut the starch in. It is bland enough to do this.

Would it make a good substitute for something like mashed potatoes or would you be able to replace some of the potatoes?

Chayote is one of our most common vegetables in Costa Rica. One favorite method of preparation is in a picadillo, a sort of vegetable hash, which may also include ground or shredded beef or pork, but is usually made with just chopped chayote, onion and cut corn, with perhaps a little garlic and/or sweet pepper (bell pepper). Chayote is also excellent in salads (cooked, then chilled).

That sounds good! Do you use any fat/oils?

Delish.

Again, this sounds great! Do you need some fat/oil? Or stock/water?

Back
Top Bottom