Missing ingredient, needs something?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frixo

Assistant Cook
hi, i made a pasta dish today, i didnt follow a recipe just made it out of what i had and my own ideas, although when i ate it, it was very lovely, but it seemed a little plain not totally plain but i needed something else to complete it. i don't want it to be a complicated recipe as my idea of it was for people that dont have much at home at the time, e.g not many ingredients to make something fancy, but something that is quick, made out of average household food, that you dont have to buy specially and it still tastes good.

the current ingredients within this recipe so far..

- pasta
- eggs
- sweetcorn
- cheese
- mixed herbs
- a pinch or too of Italian spice (not needed but gives a little extra flavour)
- pinch of salt

does anyone have any ideas what i could put in to not make it taste so bland but something that makes it mouth watering, without having to add chopped tomatoes onion as they both are very common in recipes and i would like something different.

i did have the idea of possible dicing small chopped onion just to give it that little bit more flavour but it still isnt that mouth watering flavour. i just can;t put my finger on it.

All ideas would be very appreciated :)

never seen a pasta with sweetcorn and eggs...
You might want to add a table spoon of creme fraiche (at the last moment) to contrast the sweetness of the corn and add some fresh parsley.
Anyway eggs corn and cheese, this sounds like an extremly sugary pasta to me. I don't think I would make it.

Last edited:
Parmesan or any kind of cheese sauce. Welcome to DC.

thank you for your reply and the welcoming,

i did think of a cheese sauce but as i already have cheese in it it would be too heavy.
it needs to be something light, possible colourful to lighten it up but also refreshing as right now the meal is a little too heavy on the stomach.

thank you for your reply and the welcoming,

i did think of a cheese sauce but as i already have cheese in it it would be too heavy.
it needs to be something light, possible colourful to lighten it up but also refreshing as right now the meal is a little too heavy on the stomach.

You need an acid in there. cream fraiche does that, try it

You might want to add a table spoon of creme fraiche (at the last moment) to contrast the sweetness of the corn and add some fresh parsley.
Anyway eggs corn and cheese, this sounds like an extremly sugary pasta to me. I don't think I would make it.

thank you for your input, i did think it might turn out sugary and not very nice but when i ate it it wasnt that bad at all i just know there is one flavour missing. i did although just think of red green or yellow pepper?

If you're looking for color and flavor, you might try adding some red and green bell peppers. They will provide an addition to the flavor and add color to meal as well. Garlic is always good for added flavor and can be incorporated as either minced or powdered.

I agree with eager, have never seen pasta with sweet corn and eggs and also agree on it being too sugary. If those two ingredients are etched in stone, then I'd add some chopped bacon and sauteed bell pepper and maybe some minced jalapeno or red pepper flakes.

Eggs and cheese is a very classic pairing ~ carbonara. Though carbonara relies on the fat from bacon / pancetta for a flavor boost.

I would have added a bit of pesto. I use it quite often for a great flavor base and then add whatever veggies I have. Sometimes I'll add meat (italian sausage, salami, prosciutto).

If I didn't have pesto, I would have tried adding some lemon juice. And probably some red pepper flakes. Not tons of either, but enough to perk up all of the other flavors.

Eggs and cheese is a very classic pairing ~ carbonara. Though carbonara relies on the fat from bacon / pancetta for a flavor boost.

I would have added a bit of pesto. I use it quite often for a great flavor base and then add whatever veggies I have. Sometimes I'll add meat (italian sausage, salami, prosciutto).

If I didn't have pesto, I would have tried adding some lemon juice. And probably some red pepper flakes. Not tons of either, but enough to perk up all of the other flavors.

I am aware of the real carbonara :chef: and how it's made, but when i saw eggs and corn and cheese I thought this is some sort of scrambled egg american dish. (like mac & cheese) And I never seen that:LOL:

Two different suggestions. A squeeze of lemon or lime, or maybe a pinch of chili pepper flakes (or powder, or your favorite hot sauce).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom