"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-24-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Mix Time

Ok,so I posted earlier about having difficulty with my dough rising and difficulty with it snapping back into original size when trying to stretch it out. I have to ask,,after I dump my foaming yeast,water & Sugar into the bowl of the stand mixer with the flour,,how long should I leave it running?

Old 05-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I use medium speed for about 5 minutes. It develops the gluten, which in this case, is a good thing!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Cook

why not try hand kneading your dough? I always do that, good exercise and you get first-hand feel of how the dough is forming. I knead it at least for 30 minutes to develop gluten.

by the way, after you mix water and flour, and it draws all the excess flour together, you should let it rest for about 10-20 minutes to allow thorough hydration before kneading
Old 05-24-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

after mixing the ingredients on low speed I turn up the speed and let it run 15 minutes. Allow 1 hour to rise. Roll in to a tight ball and allow to rise a second time 45 minutes.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Hydration (the even wetting of all the flour) will naturally occur during the mixing process and during the proofing stage. Resting isn't necessary.

The goal of proofing (rising) isn't a given amount of time, it's volume. The dough should at least double on the first rise, no matter how long it takes. Don't work the dough roughly after the first rise. Just give it a couple of folds and turns before the second rise in order to deflate the major pockets of gas, but not all of them. You can ruin your crumb (internal structure) by working it too much before the final rise.