"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-26-2006, 04:16 PM   #11
Head Chef

andy, how about this mate

----
Andy - Should i sear the pork at MEDIUM HIGH in my skillet like i do with my chicken, or more at HIGH like i do with my steaks?

Also, should i put the oven at 425 or 450 to finish?

these are gonna be 1" thick chops i believe. just normal thick cut.

sear for 1 minute on each side or 1:30 ?
--------------

also, quick question about the rice... is it okay to dice up carrots celery onions garlic and cook the rice with those in there? or will it mess up the water/rice ratio?

the rice has to cook for 50 mins is why. it seems like it could be a delicate balance and could go awry easily?

ive never cooked brown rice before, only white and basmati, and wild rice from boxes.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:21 PM   #12
Master Chef

If you don't brine the pork be very careful about overcooking.

Searing isn't usually a good idea if the meat is coated with spices -- you'll get a blackened pork chop. You can sautee and finish in a hot oven.

I am concermed about the rice. Rice can be tricky enough, esp. real wild rice, so if you have a bunch of different types of rice that have not been parboiled and if you don't have a TNT recipe, you could end up with a mess on your hands ....

Old 07-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #13
Head Chef

jenny im cooking it in a rice pot separately, with a lid, just curious if the diced veggies will screw up the water/rice ratio. the rice is from a bag, the grains are premixed, just not seasoned

Okay jenny how long do you suggest i brine them? i'll be making 3 thick cut pork chops.

How much liquid / salt ?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Sear the pork in olive oil on all sides and place in 375 degree oven till it pork reaches 145 degrees and LET IT REST FOR 15-20 MINUTES. If you cut meats right after cooking them, the juices will run out and you'll be left with a piece of dry meat/poultry.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
Head Chef

mission texas lol im from mcallen. i dont have a meat thermometer im gonna have to just cook for a certain period of time.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd sear for at least 1:30. After that time, take a look and see if the color is what you want. If not, add 30 seconds.

400F is good. You dont need to go higher. They probably won't take more than 10 minutes or so. Go by the temperature - 145 F internal.

For 1" thick chops, I don't think you need to rest them for any more than 5-10 minutes. The purpose of resting is to let the meat cool. The muscle fibers relax as they cool and can re-absorb the fluids. A 1" thick chop will be OK in 5-10 minutes.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:45 PM   #17
Head Chef

what about the rice? okay to throw in those diced veggies?

do you think the rice would be better with beefstock or with chickenstock?

rice has to cook for 50 minutes so assume the water/rice ratio is is critical as there is more room for error.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #18
Master Chef

Big, if it's premixed and has directions then that's ok. Whew. I don't think the carrots and onions will throw off the water ratio much, if at all. Perhaps go a few T short on the water.

I think chix stock would work better. Beef might overpower the rice.

Brine: 1/2 cup kosher salt and 1/4-1/3 cup sugar (brown is best, IMO) per gallon of water. You can also add flavoring agents like the herbs you are using. Plus peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic etc. I usually simmer the herbs in a small pan of water for 15 min. Let cool a bit then use that water and some ice to make the brine.

Let the chops soak for about an hour (<--- more?)
Old 07-26-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
Head Chef

jenny, i can brine and then sear and it wont be a problem? just pat them dry?

also, a gallon sounds like a lot.dont i just need enough to completely submerge 3 chops?

ie can i just use less water sticking with the ratios you listed?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 PM   #20
Master Chef

Yes and yes.

Rinse off the chops and pat dry with paper towels. Then proceed.

And you are right -- the brine "recipe" is a ratio only. You can cut it down or make it larger (like for a turkey) but keep the basic ratio. It should taste salty like seawater and the sugar cust down on the "sharpness" of the salt, enhancing the savory flavor.

And for Goshsakes BUY A MEAT THERMOMETER!!!! You, of all people! You cook meat all the time! You need one! They are right there in the supermarket, too. Do I have to organize a collection from DC members and send you one??