Mixed rice and Pork Chop questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mylegsbig said:
jenny, i can brine and then sear and it wont be a problem? just pat them dry?

Also, a gallon sounds like a lot.dont i just need enough to completely submerge 3 chops?

ie can i just use less water sticking with the ratios you listed?

That will work, but... You need to make sure that there is enough liquid to permeate the meat evenly. It's like a water tank, the more faucets that draw from it, the less able it is to provide suffiecient pressure to all loads. The more chops you use, the greater the volume of brine required. For a couple of chops, just make enough brine, using Jenny's ratios, to half-fill a zipper-seal bag. Put the chops in with the liquid, remove all air, and stick in the fridge. Let brine for at least three hours.

I generally pan fry chops at a medium-high temperature. I brown them for about 4 to 5 minutes per side. With 1/4 inch thick chops, they are done through, with a great browned sear on the outside. For your chops, you will be finishing them in the oven. Purchase yourself a good instant-read thermometer and use it. It really takes the guesswork out of cooking meat. I was going to try and give you a time-per-pound for your chops, but as I never cook them by searing, and then roasting, I really have little experience in this area. I either pan fry until done, or grill them in a covered-kettle barbecue.

Another option you might consider is to roast them for about twenty minutes on a raised grid, and then broil them to complete the browning process. In that case, I would roast at 425 and then broil 2 inches from the heat source for two minutes per side.

As for the actual cooking technique, follow Jenny's or Andy's advice. They are both great cooks, and experienced.

With inch-thick chops, why don't you stuff those babies with your pre-cooked rice? Top with your sauce of choice and serve with veggies. That would be both elegant and very tasty.

And yes, by all means, seaon your rice and add the onions and diced carrots. The veggies will help flavor the rice, along with the herbs. As both onions and carrots contain thier own water supply, you shouldn't need to adjust the amount of liquid very much at all.

I see great things in your cullinary future, young man. You love to try new things, at least new to you. Kudos on your efforts.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Weed, when you mentioned stuffing the chops with the rice, you echoed my thoughts exactly. I'd get them stuffed, dredge lightly in flour, brown quickly in hot oil on one side, flip, and put in the oven to finish off. I think I'd concoct some kind of sauce to go over the top...something using the pan drippings after you cook the chops. Could be a simple flour gravy.

Another thought is that you could caramelize onions and/or mushrooms in a little olive oil and/or butter, minced garlic, salt, pepper, and possibly a dash of Worchester Sauce. Spoon that over the top of your chops.

I like the combination of thyme and sage on pork and poultry.

By the way, don't forget to get your greens in.

Last edited:
Leg listen to Jenny. Get a thermometer.

OK why are you still reading this? You should be on your way out the door to buy one.

Seriously, they are inexpensive, but one of the most valuable tools in the kitchen for people who cook meat. Most of your posts question how long to cook your meat. The thermometer will solve that problem for you once and for all. Now get going!!!

i wasnt being completely honest i have a meat thermometer i just have never used it im intimidated by it and have not cooked anything that requires it. im used to my oven, steel skillet, and stove temps so i can cook perfect chicken and steak each time. im a total pork newb though, so im gonna bust it out.

The stuffed idea sounds awesome. Gonna keep it simple tonight tho.

Okay, im gonna sear these 1" thick chops for 1:30 a side on MED HIGH and then put in the oven @ 400 degrees for 10 minutes.

i will use the meat thermometer at this point.

will let you know how everything turns out and thank you for the kind words and advice. I couldn't cook a **** thing before i signed up here and my cooking is worlds better.

I went to ruth's chris steakhoue and ordered the filet mignon and potatoes liyonaise, both me and my fiance agreed that my kobe filet & potatoes dinner is better. it's mastered, that is why im moving on to pork, and trying to cook brown / wild rice. don't know anything about either one of them.

while the potatoes and filet mignon were not as good as mine... oh my god. we got 2 appetizers, crab cakes and jumbo lump crab stuffed mushrooms topped with romano, and seriously they were beyond amazing. some of the best food ive ever had.

stuffed mushrooms are coming up soon on my list of projects.

Thanks again

Cheers

"Do I have to organize a collection from DC members and send you one??" Although I have a couple, I'd take you up on that Jenny :LOL:

I learned about brining from cjs and love to do that to my chicken and pork. 'Course I wouldn't cook near as well as I do without her encouragement and that of people like those on this website.

Big

Tell us how they came out!! We are dying to know.

And crab cakes are pretty easy to make. You just need good quality crabmeat.

Cotton

Now that we know Big was a closet thermometer owner, my offer is off, sorry to say :LOL:

Yeah, definitely brine the pork chops, you won't believe the difference it makes. Usually thyme is used with pork.

They came out not so good. A little too tough, despite the brine. I seared for 1:30 each sidethen cooked for 10 minutes & 400 degrees.

the thermometer only said 120. I cooked them for 6 minutes longer.

they were tough. the flavor was good from the brine/herbs, but they were tough.

three failures in a row. Im going to forget about pork for awhile.

Mylegsbig said:
jenny im cooking it in a rice pot separately, with a lid, just curious if the diced veggies will screw up the water/rice ratio. the rice is from a bag, the grains are premixed, just not seasoned

Okay jenny how long do you suggest i brine them? i'll be making 3 thick cut pork chops.

How much liquid / salt ?
I would start with the veggies in olive oil. That's called a mirepoix, and it will flavor your rice as they cook with the rice all through! When the onion in the mix is translucent, but not brown, introduce the rice mixture and stir to coat with the oil in the pan. THEN add your liquid (I'd probably opt for a mixture of stock and water) and a bay leaf, and whatever other herbs you like, a biit of sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and bring the whole thing to a simmer. You can speed this up by adding hot liquid, as your veggie/rice mixture is already hot. When you have achieved a simmer in your pan, lower the heat so the mixuture is bubbling gently, cover the pot and set your timer for 42 minutes. It always takes brown rice 45 minutes to cook, but you've already given it a couple...

After 42 minutes, lift the lid and stir the rice with a fork. Let it sit in the pot while you plate the rest of the dinenr... BTW, this method of cooking rice is called (depending upon the country or region you are in) Pilau, Pilaf, Purlow..... Use the same proportion of rice to liquid you would with white rice.

Oh, and I only cook my pork to 130 degrees F and let it rest. I promise if you do this it will be cooked through and still juicy.

Back
Top Bottom