"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
Head Chef

Mixed rice and Pork Chop questions

Okay about to head out to the grocer got a couple of quick questions.

1.) I'm making some rice tonight, it is a mixture. Brown Rice, Wild Rice, Sweet Brown Rice, and a couple of others. It looks delicious. I'm making it with salt, pepper, beef stock, fresh garlic, onion, carrots. I want to throw in a fresh herb, my question is, which would be best? Im eating it with pork chops, so something i could add to the pork as well would be cool. What i want to do, is throw in a little branch of the herbs while the rice is cooking, then take it out before serving.

2.) What is the best way to make pork chops come out tender? The past two times i've cooked pork chops they have been rubbery. I will use a high quality thick cut lean pork chop. I have a stainless steel skillet i could use to sear them and then finish in the oven, would that work? I would rather not sear them and simmer them with the rice in the same pot, btw.

What would be a good way to season these to serve with the rice i have outlined above?

thanks in advance

Cheers

Old 07-26-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Don't overcook and they won't be rubbery. Cook to 145* and let rest.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
Master Chef

2) The best way, IMO, is to brine them first. This is a foolproof plan for tender, juicy chops. And don't overcook them. Sear and blast in a hot oven works very well for pork chops.

Season? What do you like? Do you want some sweetness? Tell me more.

1) Is this a package of rice with cooking directions or did you mix it yourself? Because different types of rice have different cooking times.

Herbs? What do you like? Tell me more.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Thyme is good with both pork and the rice.

Cook the pork as you described-pan sear then finish in the oven.

Don't overcook the pork. That's the most common problem with pork. Because it's so lean, it can dry out easily.

Also conside a brine before cooking. Adds flavor and moisture.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
2) The best way, IMO, is to brine them first. This is a foolproof plan for tender, juicy chops. And don't overcook them. Sear and blast in a hot oven works very well for pork chops.

Season? What do you like? Do you want some sweetness? Tell me more.

1) Is this a package of rice with cooking directions or did you mix it yourself? Because different types of rice have different cooking times.

Herbs? What do you like? Tell me more.
nah no sweetness jen. i like all kinds of herbs ^^

I'm making the rice mixture myself.

so thyme huh? when do i put the thyme on the pork chops b/c i know it will get burnt to **** if i sear it.

as for the brine, trying to keep it low sodium, but thank you^^

Andy - Should i sear the pork at MEDIUM HIGH in my skillet like i do with my chicken, or more at HIGH like i do with my steaks?

Also, should i put the oven at 425 or 450 to finish?

these are gonna be 1" thick chops i believe. just normal thick cut.

sear for 1 minute on each side or 1:30 ?
Old 07-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #6
Master Chef

Sage, Thyme, S & P are classic pork seasonings. But if you want to be a bit bolder, season with ginger, garlic, S & P, and cover with Pineapple before placing in the oven.

Other seasonings that will work well with pork and rice include Rosemary, Oregano, red-pepper, currie, and mustard to name a few. Pork has a delicate flavor and so must not be overspiced. Smoke also works exceptionally well with both the pork and rice, as do various barnecue sauces. And don't forget onion as a flavoing. The sweetness compliments the savory pork and adds to the rice as well.

You can even top the baking chops with apple-pie filling and serve along-side the rice. Sweet & sour, or plumb sauce makes a great condiment, as does Hoisin Sauce.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM   #7
Head Chef

im curious as to how to impliment all those flavors when searing. do i sear them, take them off the skillet, then rub them with all those herbs and finish in oven? Ive only ever seared with salt + pepper and dried ground spices like papriki, chili powder, etc
Old 07-26-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Head Chef

So sage +thyme together? Sounds good. Can i put some sage in the rice too? over all, in general, is sage + thyme a good flavor blend?

cheers
Old 07-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Master Chef

Sage and Thyme are similar in flavor. So blend first and then sprinkle over the pork, after searing it. Also, the other flavors work with pork, but should be used as individual flavorings, not all together.

What I gave you were flavors that work with both pork and rice. And yes, each of them can be added to the rice as it cooks, except for the sauces. They would be mixed in at the table, either as a condiment, or before serving.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylegsbig
So sage +thyme together? Sounds good. Can i put some sage in the rice too? over all, in general, is sage + thyme a good flavor blend?

cheers
It's a good combo if you like the flavors they provide. They are traditionally considered to be good with pork.

If you choose to brine the pork, you could introduce the thyme in the brine.