Mixing with one's hands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ironchef said:
In all of the kitchens I worked in, you never see people mixing things with their hands as often as you do on television. If they are, most of the time they are wearing (or should be wearing) disposable latex gloves.

Thanks for reminding me! I haven't worked in two weeks, so I completely forgot about latex gloves! I go through about a box a week, as I prefer to mix salads and such by hand, so, on with the rubber gloves.

IMHO, plain bands without stones are pretty safe, as long as you wash thoroughly. However, rings with settings, especially large cocktail rings, get a lot of gunk trapped in the setting. I wouldn't wear a ring like that if I was mixing by hand.

I've got a huge box of gloves, too but strangely I never think of wearing them when I stick my hands in the meatloaf. I usually only wear them with peppers or other hot stuff, or for cleanin.

Need to put my thinking cap on more often, thanks!

When my daughter was born my wifes hospital room had a few boxes of gloves. When we checked out those boxes somehow found their way into our bags :angel:

I love using them, especially when handling chicken. They are not latex, but still form to fit my hand very well. I am just about out of them though and need to order more.

Usually take rings (2) off when mixing any meats. Usually don't when mixing doughs. Paula Dean on food network was told to take her many rings off when mixing. Other wise she kept them on. They were huge rings too.

ronjohn55 said:
Sometimes I do, usually I don't. But when I think about it, I hardly ever take my ring off, which means it's seen time inside my hockey gloves.. :sick: :sick: :sick:

I guess I probably should (will from now on)

John

ronjohn, i know a guy that had to have his ring cut off because it was crushed into his finger inside a lacrosse glove. he almost lost his finger.

i always take my ring off when cooking. i just put it thru my nose for safe keeping. makes dw happy...

LOL! I love that idea, Bucky.

HB doesn't wear his ring because he works with heavy machinery, and it would be a safety hazard. I want him to keep all his digits.

I've always removed my rings - because I'm lazy. I find it easier than having to remove and clean them later.

To defend the TV cooking demonstrators: Sarah Molton has often mentioned that you should remove your rings before diving in with your hands - although she generally didn't. Why? It's a TV set - and rings can get lost much easier than at home.

Last edited:
If I'm making something that is messy, I take them off or use disposable gloves, but I don't often make something that must be mixed by hand. One thing that bothers me about Paula - is tasting with that huge spoon.

No big deal. It all gets washed in the heat. I suppose if the person was picking at their butt, I'd want them to wash their hands, but if it's just everyday stuff, no biggy.

The wedding band stays on and is washed thoroughly with the hands. It's just a smooth band with no nooks and crannies for cooties to hide. Other rings come off.

BC

ironchef said:
And if it's a raw item such as tartare, then what?
I don't eat raw meats. As long as they're not picking in their butts, I'm ok with bare hands on my food.

:)

When I cook I take all jewelry off: watch, rings, etc. Like ironchef I try to minimalize the amount my bare hands touch food. First because I hate the feel of stuff like meatloaf and second because of the health reasons. When cooking for myself I will test with my fingers, but when cooking for others I use spoons. Washing my hands constantly and drying them on paper towels is a habit that my mom taught me. She is a prep cook at a golf course and still is reminding me to this day of how important it is to have sanitary cooking habits.

I prefer to use my bare hands especially when baking because I like to feel the texture of the dough, batter, pastry, etc. I think baking is a lot more tactile than cooking and you need to constantly feel what you're working with in order to get everything right. I don't use latex gloves :mrgreen: but I keep my hands very clean. The only time I'll use the gloves is if I'm seperating a lot of eggs, or if I'm making something like pulled sugar or sugar ribbons.

I will take my ring off too. Not because I'm afraid of anything getting in the food, I keep my hands very clean when cooking, but, I don't want anything getting on my pretty ring DH got me last year for our 20th anniversary:mrgreen:

no wedding ring/band to take off. but i have my mother's ring on my right hand and i leave it on. i was my hands constantly so it's never bothered me and nobody else has ever mentioned anything about it.

Back
Top Bottom