Moist Chicken - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, a lot of recipes have you baking the chicken at 375F - 400F or something which I think is too high. Just cook it longer at 325F to 350F temp to reach the ideal and safe interior temps. These slightly lower temps work ideal if you first get the cooking process started by searing the chicken in a skillet for a short time. IMO

I think the best way to roast a chicken is at 450-500.

Barbara Kafka's recipe comes out perfect every time. Line your pan with thinly sliced potatoes and it wont smoke.

Last edited:
Other than the sear and bake process, I have found that for most meat recipes, the 'low and slow' method seems to work fine.

My first husband was a professional chef. He had the original "Joy of Cooking" published in the late 30's or 40's. As a new bride, it was more than a bible for me. It was my lifesaver. Today it would make for some fun reading. There were no microwave ovens, no non-stick pans, none of today's conveniences. Lard was often mentioned. So between what I learned from all the Noni's in my neighborhood, and my mother along with the JOC, I was able to put a decent meal on the table. The JOC is what gave me my start for the love of baking. I read that book like you would read a novel. And I read it more than once.

There was a recipe for Chantilly Potatoes. It used whipped cream instead of the liquid version of cream. Her expression "puttiing the po on taters" has stayed with me for more than 50 years. One time when my daughte was mashing the potatoes for me, they were still lumpy. I told her to put some 'po' in those taters. She had no idea what I was talkiing about. :chef:

I think the best way to roast a chicken is at 450-500.

Barbara Kafka's recipe comes out perfect every time. Line your pan with thinly sliced potatoes and it wont smoke.

It's easier if you just don't give it a pack of smokes and a lighter.:rolleyes:

Sorry, sorry...I'll show myself out!

Back
Top Bottom