MOM'S COOKING: What did you love your mother to cook for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my mom was a great cook!!!!!!!!!!!

if i must choose i will choose southern fried chicken, pasta gravy with meatballs and brociole and easter meat pie.

My favorite "birthday" meal, when the guest of honor got to choose the meal, was suki-yaki followed by jello cake.

my mom is and has always been a great cook.the list of my fav foods cooked by her is endless.some of them r potato stuffed fried bread 4 breakfast,french toast,chicken and ground beef spagetti,chicken noodle soup,grilled beef kebabs,fried chicken,roast lamb with big chunks of grilled veggies,rice pudding,sweet dumplings in sugar syrup etc etc etc.these r just some of those dishes.she still loves to make my fav dishes whenever i go to stay with her 4 a few days.

Mom wasn't a very good cook except for Gumbo, which I didn't appreciate until I left home, but I did love to see dad getting ready to BBQ on an outdoor grill! He very seldom (maybe once a year) cooked on a stove, but during spring, summer and fall, as a kid, while outdoors somewhere in the neighborhood, I came to learn to follow my nose toward the sweet smell of BBQ sauce dripping onto the charcoal from black, crusty chicken legs, or pork chops, or a full rack of spare ribs! (sigh!)

pretty much everything she made was really delicious, so it mostly didn't matter what she cooked. Maybe my favorite was her liver and bacon. She really knew how to cook the liver perfectly. Still succulent and juicy, but cooked through.

However, the things she made that I make most often are probably beef stew and other braised dishes.

Everything!! I still love when my mom cooks for me. She is such a great cook!

But I love her macaroni w/pesto sauce
Any and all of her fish dishes
Her chicken with artichoke hearts and swiss cheese
Her lentil soup
Her chicken soup

Um...what DON'T I like of my mom's? I don't like that nasty chili thai sauce she bought the other day and put all over our eggplant. Pity, eggplant is such a wonderful veggie.

her sunday chicken with cornflake crumbs, cheese enchildales, garden soup
garden soup was stringbeans, lil potatoes, bacon and anything else she wanted to use up from the garden, It always tasted good no matter was combination was in it

Chile Chef - didn't you recently start a thread asking about how to get grants &/or scholarships for college? Trust me on this one - both spelling & grammar are VERY IMPORTANT for even the most basic consideration. Instead of just typing whatever you think sounds like what you mean, it might help you to actually start looking these words up. I'm not saying this to be snarky at all, since I can usually figure out what you mean in your posts - I really mean this in a helpful way. If you spell on a college application the way you spell here, your chances of getting into the school of your dreams are doubtful.

Just as a translation here: "What you do is make your pie crust, then your omelet, throw the omelet into the pie crust, make a lattice out of phyllo dough, then bake another 10 minutes and voila tasty quiche."

Although I have to say that I'm confused about the omelet part. Are you saying that you actually cook an omelet & throw the cooked omelet into the pie crust? Or do you mean the more common prep of making an omelet/egg custard & pouring that raw into the pie crust & then baking it? Any other seasoning or additions like herbs or cheese, etc.?

Stuffed Veal Breast, Meatballs, Stuffed Cabbage, Chicken Soup. As hard as I try I can never make her dishes as well as she does. Guess I am still going back "home for the holidays." Good think it is only a mile from where I live now.

Chile Chef - didn't you recently start a thread asking about how to get grants &/or scholarships for college? Trust me on this one - both spelling & grammar are VERY IMPORTANT for even the most basic consideration. Instead of just typing whatever you think sounds like what you mean, it might help you to actually start looking these words up. I'm not saying this to be snarky at all, since I can usually figure out what you mean in your posts - I really mean this in a helpful way. If you spell on a college application the way you spell here, your chances of getting into the school of your dreams are doubtful.

Just as a translation here: "What you do is make your pie crust, then your omelet, throw the omelet into the pie crust, make a lattice out of phyllo dough, then bake another 10 minutes and voila tasty quiche."

Although I have to say that I'm confused about the omelet part. Are you saying that you actually cook an omelet & throw the cooked omelet into the pie crust? Or do you mean the more common prep of making an omelet/egg custard & pouring that raw into the pie crust & then baking it? Any other seasoning or additions like herbs or cheese, etc.?
Listen mate, If you don't like the way I spell or use grammar on this forum? You can ignore me, I really don't like your Attitude.

The problem is that we can't understand what you are trying to tell us.
Do you cook the eggs and THEN put them in a crust? I've never had a quiche with a top crust before.

Let's remember this thread is about foods our mother's made that we love..It is not for correcting spelling or grammar. We either use PM for something that bothers us or we ignore it. We all have feelings and I don't think anyone means to hurt another's feelings so please take a minute and consider before you post something that is better said in private. That said, let's get back on track and share our favorite foods mom use to make.
kadesma

Listen chile, she said she wasn't being snarky, which means testy or irritable, she was trying to HELP you. I honestly had no idea what you were talking about. Perhaps English is not your first language. If not, we do and will cut you some slack. If it is, then you need to brush up on your skills of communication as we did not understand what you were trying to say. Everything she said was spot on.

There are a few recipes that Mom made that I later grabbed ahold of and brought them up to par but one thing she couldn't mess up was baked chicken. We had it every Tuesday as our grandma came over for dinner Tuesdays and she was diet restricted. When I think about chicken that is the flavor and texture I strive for.

P.S. Sometimes we get excited and type faster than other's brains can keep up, knowledge is assumed, and confusion results. Text is a lousy medium for emotional content. Everyone needs to keep that in mind.

chefkathleen heeheehee...kitchenelf tells me that "snarky" is a Canadianism. I'm pointing her at you next time she bugs me. LOL.

Chile Chef, Here is a link to the sites spell checker. It will help everyone understand you better if you use it.

Everyone, thanks for being so polite in letting Derek know that we want to understand him better. Can we all move back to the Mom cooking thing now? We've hijacked the bejeebers out of this thread.

OK, my Mom was an amazing cook, and still can be when she is with it enough. There are so many things she cooked that I requested, but honestly what I loved best was her roast beef. Mmmmmmm. She'd buy a standing rib and do it to perfection. I have since learned to make it myself and am proud to say Mom taught me well. The other stuff of hers that I loved was baking. There was nothing like coming home from school when it was 50 freezies outside and opening the door to smell fresh baking. HEAVEN!

My mom was a horrible cook when I was growing up. She made 4 recipes (which I will not post recipes, Google them or use your imagination) over and over, the rest of the time I was forced to fend for myself. She made what she called Chicken Caruso (think Italian red sauce with chicken over rice), Beef Stroganoff, Tuna Casserole, and Broccoli Casserole (which I hated).

She rarely made the Broccoli Casserole because I actually threw it up one night when her boyfriend was over ... that was the last time she forced me to eat it. Stroganoff and Caruso were once every other week as was the Tuna Cass. When I turned 15 or so, she started putting peas in the Tuna and I stopped eating that as well, at least until older and made it for myself :) Other than those 4 dishes, I either had bologna sandwiches, hamburgers, or hot dogs (sometimes Kraft Mac-n-Cheese). But I made all these while she was off partying, that was the reason she only made 4 dishes ... she was never there to cook them.

Back
Top Bottom