MOM'S COOKING: What did you love your mother to cook for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, I just remembered a few more favourites my Mom made that I miss.
- her light fruit cake - like no other fruit cake I have ever tasted.
- our family recipe "Christmas Salad" with marshmallows, apples, grapes, nuts, pineapple and a wonderful dressing that is cooked and then has whipped cream folded in.
- I loved her pies and her perfect pastry...the best part being she would always slice cheddar cheese onto the leftover pastry, seal it tight, make a couple of slits in the top and bake it with the pies. Oh, that was so tasty!
- Finally, my Dad just reminded me of the hash/goulash she made with ground beef - it was never the same twice (mushrooms when Dad wasn't home, frozen veggies of different kinds, etc.) but it was always delicious.

You know I have hear people talk about a slice of cheddar on apple pie forever and to this day have never had it. I keep forgetting. lol
I know that's not what you said but that's what it reminded me of. :)

You know I have hear people talk about a slice of cheddar on apple pie forever and to this day have never had it. I keep forgetting. lol
I know that's not what you said but that's what it reminded me of. :)

You definitely should try it. Mom did also serve cheddar with apple pie, as it was my grandfather's favourite and he lived with us. But the cheese pastry was so delicious because we got to eat it warm out of the oven!

her fried chicken was the best!!! Toll House cookies so good that my siblings and i would trade chores with each other for her cookies:)

Eveything my mum cooks is superb, but I used to love cold pork and chips the day after a Sunday roast, and can vividly remember her beef wellington, Mmmmmm..... yummy.

Mom made the best spoon bread, I haven't been found a recipe that comes close to it, one of those pinch of this and that. She also made the best Bostian bake beans, made it in bean pot with a slab of fat on top, and cooked it all day, served with brown bread, out of this world.

I loved my mom's Ham & Beans. She used a hock from a Virginia country ham (grand dad sent one every year at Christmas), and cooked it for days, it seemed. She made it with this moist, sweet cornbread.... aaah, heaven!

Thanks msmofet. Kitchenelf PMed that to us and I never got back to this thread to link it.

Earlier in this thread someone, who shall remain nameless, mentioned the dreaded and universally despised "Tuna Casserole!!" - the one that magically appears during church or family socials. The one that no one claims ownership of until the very end of the day and meekly asks, "Did everyone like it?"

Most are in the middle of packing up and too tired to start an argument, so just to keep the peace, we all reply, "Oh, yes. It was very good!" and then someone utters the horrid words, "You ought to bring that again next year."

I'm surprised there aren't more murders at gatherings such as these! But my mother dodged the bullets, sending perfectly good tuna to a soggy grave and appearing on the wanted posters of Greenpeace and ecologists everywhere.

This American ritual happens to the majority of us almost as often as the equally disturbing appearance of the Holiday Fruit Cake, but that horror will have to wait for another thread!

So Arky...did you LIKE your Mom's tuna casserole? *running and hiding*
my mom never made that and i don't either. the closest i come is stirring tuna and peas into already cooked mac and cheese when it is requested by one of my girls.

Back
Top Bottom