MOM'S COOKING: What did you love your mother to cook for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My mom isn't a fancy cook by any means ( though she is trying out loads of different recipes lately ) but everything she makes is pretty delicious. Of course there are a few things that aren't my favorite.

I've always loved :
-her usual sunday dinner - Roast beef, gravy, mashed potatoes, mashed turnip , yorkshire puddings and peas

-her grilled cheese that as simple as it is , mine never taste anything like hers.

-her chicken noodle soup with dumplings. Her broth is just amazing.

-spaghetti and meatballs. Her slow cooked sauce is just too yummy and comforting.

-macaroni lasagna. she rarely makes this anymore as it was a budget meal she would make us as kids . Delicious

-cinnamon toast. Again simple but yummy.

Sometimes it is the simple ones that are the best DBS.
I too remember my moms grilled cheese. That was before cheese came in prepackaged slices.

Mom made the best spoon bread, I haven't been found a recipe that comes close to it, one of those pinch of this and that. She also made the best Bostian bake beans, made it in bean pot with a slab of fat on top, and cooked it all day, served with brown bread, out of this world.

we too had beans and brown bread. as i remember the bread came in a can. loved it.

we too had beans and brown bread. as i remember the bread came in a can. loved it.

While I don't think they still do, good old Pepperidge Farm used to make a line of canned New England classic soups, as well as canned Indian Pudding, Brown Bread, & Baked Beans. My mom used to buy them & I loved them all. I also loved the cans themselves, each of which featured a little intricate pen-&-ink+watercolor drawing of a New England scene.

don't know if i told you i found brown bread at vermont country store on line. a bit pricey but ordered it anyway. goggled boston baked beans for recipe . soon as bread get here, i will make.

My mom had to feed 4 kids on a policeman's salary and my favorite thing was her mashed turnips. When ever a holiday came around I always begged her to make them. Yum!

Wow. That was one of the only foods I loathed beyond all description. Just goes to show we are all unique. Did your Mom have a special way of doing them or just boiled and mashed?

don't know if i told you i found brown bread at vermont country store on line. a bit pricey but ordered it anyway. goggled boston baked beans for recipe . soon as bread get here, i will make.

Dang.

Got here too late. :(

Boston brown bread is the easiest thing in the world to make. You really should consider doing it homemade next time.

Wow. That was one of the only foods I loathed beyond all description. Just goes to show we are all unique. Did your Mom have a special way of doing them or just boiled and mashed?
She had a pretty basic recipe, cubed, boiled, mashed (but still a little lumpy),
butter, milk and american cheese. I make mine the same except I use Colby cheese. When I get rich I'm gonna use Gruyere!

Ah...see the cheese bit would really make a difference. Ours was boiled, mashed and just a bit of butter and salt. Blech.

This is a thread that will most likely make me cry.

I took care of mom in her last years when she was ill, and I have a lifetime of wonderful memories of the fantastic things she baked. She passed on at the age of 75 due to complications from major surgery.

At any rate... Mom cooked old fashioned. She was raised to cook PA dutch, and married my father who WAS PA Dutch. :) She made certain things the old fashioned way without effort, such as soups. She'd whip up a ham and string bean soup like it was second nature, and it tastes better than my recent attempts to recapture her recipe. She also made corned beef and cabbage soup that was absolutely delicious, rice soup, so many others..

At the holidays, mom had a way of making her kiffles that I've never seen done before. she had her tried and true way to mold the dough over the filling to make these little pointed ended torpedoes with plump centers. Dusted with icing sugar, it was amazing.

one of my favorite pies she made (aside from her shoe fly pie or funny cake) was her cheese custard. It was a shortcrust dish with a custard made from eggs, cream, and creamed cheese. I still can't get it exactly like she made it, because I can't find her recipe. :(

She had her own twist on home made pizza with american cheese, not sliced, but cut into chunks and placed around the lightly sauced dough similar to how a lot of places do their mozzerella. Not shreaded.

She knew how to cook. being a homemaker for her entire life taking care of six sons and a daughter plus a construction worker husband who likes meat and potatos, means you learn a few things over the years.

I have more I could say, but I said the important stuff. I'd give anything for just an hour to talk to mom again, to find out her cooking secrets.

Back
Top Bottom