MOM'S COOKING: What did you love your mother to cook for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoMama

Senior Cook
What did you love
your mother to cook for you?

img_839616_0_bb1b5b4947491b25917a310409db7339.jpg

Well, Mom really never got the hang of cooking so love would be a strong word. That being said, I did like her pork chops drowned in a brown gravy and onions served over mashed potatos.

swiss steak with mashed potatoes., cabbage rolls, meatloaf, spaghetti, grilled cheeses, toast. when i was in my early 20's, my Mom would make me grilled cheeses for breakfast & i loved that.
my Dad cooked most of my meals, though.

My mom never really got the hang of cooking either. Everything was "just a little brown" (translation: burnt). But she did make some mean porcupine meatballs. Yum.

My mom wasn't a great cook but I always loved her beef stroganoff. And she made real good homemade raviolis too.

My mom was a great cook, but didn't do it often enough. Where do I start; I mean, all of the following were fabulous: baked beans, home-made bread, date filled cookies, all kinds of fruit pies, pasties, chili, boiled dinner, meat and potatoes, stews, soups, waffles, short ribs, chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, spaghetti with meat sauce, lasagna, home-made cheese macaroni, stuffed and breaded butterfly shrimp, all things tuna, etc., I could go on. And which one do I pick as my favorite; all of the above. And her bread stuffing for turkey beat mine any day of any week. My bird is better though. She loved to cook on an old, cast iron wood stove, located in our back yard. Her steaks and chops though, well, let's just say that there are work-boot soles that are more tender:ROFLMAO:. But that wasn't her fault entirely. My step-father only ate meat well-done, what a shame.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I started thinking of my gramma when reading this thread. She was a great cook who never owned a cookbook and never wrote down a recipe. She's been gone for 25 years but I remember everything she made was top drawer.

Unfortunately her eyesight went bad toward the end and she had the beginnings of dementia but she still loved to bake. One time she made an apple pie, which she had made 100's of times. Both she and my stepgrandfather ate a whole piece before one of them investigated the "cinnamon"...it was chili powder, lol. They both laughed and we did too. When gramma cooked it was just supposed to be good, no matter what.

Except for calves liver, which I've never liked & still don't - EVERYTHING else my mother cooked for me was FABULOUS. Both my parents were/are excellent cooks, & I totally credit them for infusing me with a love for cooking & good food.

Each birthday instead of cake I asked for mom's lemon meringue pie. And mom made a pork chops in wine and black pepper that was so tender and juicy you didn't want to eat anything else..Now I could kick myself for not insisting on the pork chop recipe.
kadesma

Other than pork chops, which as a kid I totally hated until the invention of shake 'n bake, I loved everything my Mom made and she made everything from scratch...well until the shake 'n bake which was a last ditch effort on her part to get me to eat chops!

I guess some of my favourites were roast and yorkshire pudding, home made bread and swiss steak.

Oh, I also didn't like eggs - again, nothing to do with my Mom, I just didn't like them and still have to put them in something or something in THEM to make them go down. When I was a kid she would scramble them with green onions or chives and then put soy sauce on them. I couldn't have ketchup and to this day I will often eat eggs this way.

There were many dishes Mom learned to make over the years, but I think I will most fondly remember Mom's New England Boiled Dinner. Other friends had beef stew, but Mom made this one for us when Daddy needed max calories minimum cost. I used to love to mush up potatoes, carrots, onions with a big glob of margarine, S&P, lots of beef stock. When Daddy had to do survival training, this was our major meal (my little sis and I would come to the end of the base chapel, wake up our daddy, who couldn't sleep through mass, and we'd all go home)I know that my younger sisters don't remember it at all, and it isnt' happy memories for my parents. But for me it was.

my moms shake and bake chicken fingers with poutine for side. Nothing glamourous about her recipe but it always brings me back to my early teens when I would beg her for it everyday

my mom was an awesome cook, and always learning and trying new things. She taught both my sis and me to cook from an early age.

In no particular order my comfort foods from mom were/are pork chops with white gravy over mashed potatoes. Long Island Clam pie (to die for!), swiss steak and mashed potatoes, pot roast with marjoram and roasted veg, cream chipped beef with broccoli and a baked potato (makes a great dinner) sometimes we had it over waffles!, eggplant parm (so good-how can people not like eggplant!), split pea soup with ham and popovers, whole baked salmon with a curried shrimp and savory bread stuffing (omg) and the list goes on, plain or fancy, even her baked beans and hot dogs were special. Thanks mom!

My mom grew up during 'The Great Depression' and so elaborate food was nothing she ever came to know ... she often talked about when she was a little girl, coming home from school to eat a mustard sandwich. I will say my mom was truly a midwest-meat-and-potatoes gal ... but her green split pea soup was the best!!!

Back
Top Bottom