Monkfish - salting it.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm with Roll_Bones and Steve Kroll. I really like monkfish and unfortunately it's not available where I live now. When I lived in the Washington, DC area it was easy to get. Plus, when Buck and I used to vacation in the Outer Banks we would catch monkfish and eat it. As someone already noted, it's one of the least attractive fish in the water. Sort of the "only the face a mother could love" kind, but good eats.

What I used to do with it was to steam it lightly, then grill it and serve it with drawn garlic butter. Again, as has already been mentioned, much like lobster.

I love it and wish we could get it here.

We eat and ate Monkfish long before it became fashionable.
I have heard it called poor mans lobster before as its texture is quite firm.
I have found Monkfish to be one one the seas finest fish for consumption.
Its delicious and very adaptable to most any cooking method.
Broiled or grilled with a little butter and lemon is easy enough and very, very good.
No special sauce needed. IMO.
Yes. It had the right texture for mock scampi when it was cheaper than langoustines. There was a bit of a furore over here, involving the Trades Descriptions Act and the companies who were being naughty about scampi started behaving themselves. Unfortunately, it corresponded with scampi and chips was a bar meal in pubs becoming a bit naff.

Being a child or the '60s when bar meals in pubs were just getting off the ground, I have a secret liking for scampi and chips :yum: . Pubs back then were still for men to do serious drinking in, not for bringing women in for their teas.:LOL: How things have changed with the influx of "gastro-pubs"

I'm with you on the flavour. It is very good when it's cooked properly and it lends itself to sauces.

Back
Top Bottom