Montgomery Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ElsieMae

Assistant Cook
Anyone ever heard of this? I'm trying to find a recipe and the ones I've seen online so far don't seem to be the right ones. I 'think' this is something made more up north, although I could be mistaken on that.

Any recipes?

I've never heard of it Elsie Mae, but it would help the other great bakers here for you to share just why the other recipe's you've found, don't sound like the one you are looking for.
Welcome to DC.

I've never heard of it Elsie Mae, but it would help the other great bakers here for you to share just why the other recipe's you've found, don't sound like the one you are looking for.
Welcome to DC.

Thanks Kayelle, good idea. Apparently he remembers this pie as being a 2 layer type thing where one layer was pie texture and one layer was more cake texture. His mom can't remember any specifics about it and the recipes I've found don't really look like 2 layer pies. I'm gonna keep searching though.

Does this sound and look like it?

"A Pennsylvania Dutch deep dish pie that is made with a mild lemon base and a yellow cake topping with a lemon flavor. An Amish Dutch traditional pie at its best."

The modern version of an old Mennonite recipe uses a cake mix.
2 whole lemons, grated,
with seeds removed
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup boiling water
3 pie shells, unbaked
White or yellow cake mix, mixed according to package directions

Heat oven to 350°F.
Mix grated lemons, egg, sugar, syrup and boiling water together. Cool. Divide into 3 pie shells. Top each pie with cake batter. Bake 30 minutes, checking cake top for doneness.
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Attachments

• MontgomeryPie.jpg
    MontgomeryPie.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 987
Oh my gosh! I think this is IT!!!!! Yes, this looks/sounds like what my dh has described. Thank you, thank you so much for finding this. He is going to be super thrilled and surprised on his birthday.

Does this sound and look like it?

"A Pennsylvania Dutch deep dish pie that is made with a mild lemon base and a yellow cake topping with a lemon flavor. An Amish Dutch traditional pie at its best."

The modern version of an old Mennonite recipe uses a cake mix.
2 whole lemons, grated,
with seeds removed
1 egg
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1 cup boiling water
3 pie shells, unbaked
White or yellow cake mix, mixed according to package directions
Heat oven to 350°F.
Mix grated lemons, egg, sugar, syrup and boiling water together. Cool. Divide into 3 pie shells. Top each pie with cake batter. Bake 30 minutes, checking cake top for doneness.
clear1x1.gif
clear1x1.gif

Wow! What a wonderful idea. The given recipe sounds delicious. But I am who I am, and I can't leave well enough alone. My mind is going nuts with flavor combinations. I'm thinking, in no special order of importance:
1. cherry pie bottom with devils food cake on top and a graham cracker crust for
the pie.
2. apple pie with spice cake, regular or streusel crust.
3. pumpkin pie with zuchini bread batter baked on top,
4. banana cream pie with banana bread on top
5. pecan pie with red velvet cake on top
6. berry pie with yellow cake on top.

This could go on forever. Give us some more ideas. Make them decadent or light as a feather. Ice cream pies with what on top? What cake would go great on a new york cheesecake?

Oh, this is a dangerous topic indeed.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Montgomery Pie Recipe

Montgomery pie

Bert Greene, cookbook author & longtime food columnist for The New York Daily News, was traveling home while in the service & happened to stay in a hotel in Montgomery, Ala., & dined in the hotel restaurant. He ordered a piece of pie & upon return home, he tried to contact the cook to ask for the recipe, but never got a response. He called the hotel manager only to learn that the cook couldn’t read or write, & there was no recipe. Greene returned to Montgomery & stood with the wonderful lady in her kitchen as she made the pie & recorded the recipe so that others could enjoy Montgomery pie.

Montgomery pie
2 eggs
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup water
4 tablespoons soft butter
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk
1 deep-dish pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Beat one egg with the lemon juice and rind, ½ cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1 cup water. Beat until smooth and pour into unbaked pie shell.

Beat butter and one egg in a large bowl; add 2/3 cup sugar and baking powder; then alternatively add milk and 1 1/2 cups flour (about 1/3 each time). Beat until smooth, then spoon the mixture over the first layer of the pie.

Bake 35-40 minutes. Check with toothpick for doneness. Cool on a wire rack. Slice and enjoy. Be sure to spoon the lemon filling left in the pan over the top of the slice before.

Found on page 6 of http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/2...s-pie-Take-time-out-slice-life-Southern-style

Attachments

• af6b9bcd4c0188bc7cc4fdc3a9ae30ca.jpg
    af6b9bcd4c0188bc7cc4fdc3a9ae30ca.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom