Moral conflict...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I really don't know where to post this, but my teeth used to be OK...not outstanding, but healthy and acceptable. But by age 62, they are worn out. The enamel is gone off my front teeth, and the composite repair did not last.
Most of my back teeth have already been capped, thanks to insurance, but now we have no insurance and are going to pay for it out of our own pocket.
That means 8 porcelain crowns for my front teeth, which will cost $6,000.

Here's the thing...I started doing my math, and I could feed a family of four for a year on 6 grand.

So how vain am I, really?

What do you all think I shoud do?

Nonsense! It's your health. Bad teeth, especially your front teeth, will adversely affect both your physical and psychological well being, could affect your eating, possibly cause infections, and shorten your life. The longer you put it off, the more it will cost to repair -- crowns are cheaper than implants. Do it!

Connie, look at it like this, you take care of your car,if you don't change the oil, keep air in the tires the wear and tear on the car will eventually make it useless...So, your mouth is very important and to keep YOUR motor running in good health, get those teeth fixed..do it a little at a time or make an agreement with the dentist..If he is a good one he will work with you.You will not stay healthy if you don't stay in good repair...
cj

Well, it isn't that I can't afford it...I just feel guilty about spending the money on myself, when there are so many people starving on this planet.

Well, it isn't that I can't afford it...I just feel guilty about spending the money on myself, when there are so many people starving on this planet.
That is like what my mom use to tell me to get me to eat stuff I hated..Think about all the poor kids in? As I got older I got smarter, my answer, won't that food spoil in the mail? Connie, having to be hospitalized would cost you far far more...Take care NOW
cj

Connie, You do a lot for people - I have seen great evidence of that here. Now please, do something for you! If you don't have good teeth it will affect YOUR eating and you want to be in good health to continue your good deeds. Please look after your teeth.

Connie, it is indeed impossible for you to save the world's starving and less fortunate. To help others is what we should all strive to do. But in order to help others, you must first be in sufficiently good help to off that help. You have one of a couple of choices; take care of your teeth now, or spend more money later for full dentures, or some other prosthetic device. You have a responsibility to take care of yourself, to not become a burden on others due to self-neglect. One who becomes a burden from circumstances beyond their control is one thing. But to choose to burden someone else, and that is what could happen, is just wrong. There is no moral issue. And besides, vanity isn't why you need good teeth. Good health is.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Connie,
I have to have my teeth cleaned every 3 months because I am diabetic...it runs $220.00 each time ( no insurance) but healthy teeth are very important so please listen to the great advice you have been given.

they're very important! you can get very ill from an unhealthy mouth.

Connie, would you buy braces for one of your kids/grandkids if they needed them? Its not just a cosmetic procedure, its to maintain your health. Now if you were talking tummy tuck or something that might be different, but dental health is quite critical to keeping the rest of your body healthy. Go for it!

All the points stated above make perfect sense, but let me add just one more point: If you do not take care of this now and at this cost, how much will you pay later to deal with whatever problems show up if you don't?

Let me ask you, what about gold teeth? I know it is not as pretty as porcelan, but it is much better as far s quality so to speak and should be cheapper. Ask your doctor about that.

Connie - What a kind hearted person you are thinking about such a choice. But you could say the same thing about just about everything else in life, I think you've gotten a lot of good advice/ discussion here and I would go ahead and have the dental work done.

Constance,

I think you have to get your teeth fixed.

Stop feeling guilty about the money. You won it fair and square in your cage match against "El Grapadura!".

How will you win your next match if Constance "The Incisor" Muldoon doesn't have the incisors to do it.

Besides that, never to crunch corn on the cob again! Can you make that sacrifice?

Soapbox BD

~stealing bigdaddy's soapbox for a few minutes~

& don't ya wanna smile pretty for pics?!

get them fixed , i didn't out of fear of dentist. trust me , and i can't say this strongly enough, you do not want dentures. they are a royal pain in the putie. fix em, especially since you can afford it. maybe find a dentist that is more reasonable.

If it turns out you have to pay cash. I advise you ask the doctor if the will reduce the total charge for your paying cash. They may even reduce it even more if you pay in cash AND pay the total negotiated amount all at once. I do hope it turns out well for you financially.

By the way, it is respectable of you for considering the morality of the financial situation. You should ask your doctor what, if any, physical reprocussions there could be if you were to not tend to your dental situation. You can even get a second opinion. You also can even visit legitimate health websites like webmd.com and other symptom and prognosis checking websites.

God bless you,
:)

Thank you for your replies. I love you all.

Fact is, my teeth are not rotten, and my gums are exceptionally healthy, more like a woman of 40 instead one of 62. That's because I've always taken care of them. It was stressed in my family.
The teeth have simply lost calcium and are wearing out. Perhaps the Rheumatoid Arthritis is to blame...they don't know.

Y'all have convinced me to go ahead and get them fixed. I think I'm going to send DH to bargain with the dentist first, though. If you're going to do 8 at $650.00 ea, perhaps you could give us a better deal? How about one free?

Who knows, may as well try! The insurance companies get better deals all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom