"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Multiple servers at a restaurant during one meal

So I was at a fancy restaurant tonight and the following happened:

1) The greeter took us to our table, Sat us, Presented us with a wine and dessert list and told us who our waitress would be.

2) A second person came and asked us what kind of water we wanted ( several brands, or just the 'House Water' ( Basically tap).

3) A third person brought Bread and Olive oil to the table.

4) The waitress returned told us the specials of the day, and gave us time to decide what we wanted to order.

5) A 4th person brought us our drinks

6) The waitress returned and took our order ( 2 appetizers and the main meal)

7) 5th person brought the appetizers

8) 6th person ultimately brought the main course.


***Periodically the waitress would return, ask if we had any questions, if everything was ok... She would also replace the drinks if the glass was empty***

***A bus boy would clean the table/ remove the dishes as needed***

So, with all this, the service was very good, and efficient. That being said, it was hard to really get to know our server/ servers as they changed with every part of the meal. Sure, the waitress seemed like she was the coordinator , making sure everything went as planned. But to me, it seemed not as personalized or intimate,as if it was 1 or 2 people you can get to know.

Is this typical today? or typical for higher end restaurants ?

I don't go out much, especially to higher end restaurants, so maybe I'm just ignorant to the way things are done these days.

Larry

__________________

__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
We've experienced similar.

Hostess seats you.
Someone brings water
Wait person brings menus
A different person takes drink orders
Wait person takes food orders
Bus boy clears table
etc

It doesn't really bother me. We're there for good food and good service. Team service is a way to get that done.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:02 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Didn't bother me either, and the service was impeccable. Just through me for a loop, cause every time I looked up, it was someone else. I wondered how they can keep track of everything and still get everything right.

Honestly, the most annoying thing was the waitress who came every few 5 minutes to make sure everything was ok. I appreciate her concern, but sometimes it's nice to just be left alone without interruptions ( or at least not so many interruptions) .
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
...Honestly, the most annoying thing was the waitress who came every few 5 minutes to make sure everything was ok. I appreciate her concern, but sometimes it's nice to just be left alone without interruptions ( or at least not so many interruptions) .

Agreed. And they always wait until you have a mouthful of food to ask if everything is OK.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Agreed. And they always wait until you have a mouthful of food to ask if everything is OK.
Exactly!!
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,075
Definitely an upper end restaurant. My granddaughter works in Boston at such a place. She is the "Bottle Girl". And she gets paid top dollar. She never comes home with less than $300.00 a night. And that is not her salary. Only her tips for the night. Her job? Get ready.

She brings the bottle of wine to the table holding it with a napkin in her hand. Presenting the label she asks "if this wine acceptable?" Nine times out of ten it is. Only because the waitress, when she placed the order into the computer, has told the sommelier what they ordered. He chose the wine and gave it to her to bring to the table for presentation. If they accept it, she pulls out her electronic corkscrew and removes the cork. She allows them to smell the cork. She gives a nod at the pourer and he comes over and pours the wine into the proper glass. Different glasses for different wines.

When the waitress enters the orders into the computer, it also goes to the computer for the sommelier, the kitchen, and a few others that I forget. So the whole wait service knows exactly what each table has ordered and is drinking.

I want her job!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Definitely an upper end restaurant. My granddaughter works in Boston at such a place. She is the "Bottle Girl". And she gets paid top dollar. She never comes home with less than $300.00 a night. And that is not her salary. Only her tips for the night. Her job? Get ready.

She brings the bottle of wine to the table holding it with a napkin in her hand. Presenting the label she asks "if this wine acceptable?" Nine times out of ten it is. Only because the waitress, when she placed the order into the computer, has told the sommelier what they ordered. He chose the wine and gave it to her to bring to the table for presentation. If they accept it, she pulls out her electronic corkscrew and removes the cork. She allows them to smell the cork. She gives a nod at the pourer and he comes over and pours the wine into the proper glass. Different glasses for different wines.

When the waitress enters the orders into the computer, it also goes to the computer for the sommelier, the kitchen, and a few others that I forget. So the whole wait service knows exactly what each table has ordered and is drinking.

I want her job!
It all sounded reasonable until I got to the part about someone else pouring the wine.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:12 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
I was never a waitress anywhere that was much above, "You want fries with that?" I really disliked being a waitress.

Now baking, sous chef, cooking, soup and salad chef...those jobs I loved.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It all sounded reasonable until I got to the part about someone else pouring the wine.
I asked her the same question. As she put it, most folks who eat in an upper class restaurant, expect a man to be a sommelier. The pourer knew a heck of a lot more about wine than she will ever know, so it was his job to tell them all about the wonderful wine they had chosen. Real wine snobs love to talk to someone who also knows wine. They love to impress. I guess they don't know that Jacques Pepin's daughter went to college just to learn that trade.

The difference between her and the pourer, she handles the bottle with a napkin, he with white gloves.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It doesn't happen often, partly 'cause we don't often eat upscale restos, but I really enjoy when the sommelier is female.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.